Squids 88 thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
ya you might have to get creative with the fuel filler hose but it might be worth it if your sending unit doesn't work. plus you could probably find a fuel tank cheap if an auto recycler haven't punched a hole in it already. i used the tank out of a 96 grande Cherokee to run my 89 when i first got it before i replaced the pump. it worked perfect other than the fact it pumped quite a bit of gas back into the stock tank. made dropping the tank more of a pain but it is about the only way to do the job on an RC

OP
OP

3Squids

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
Got around to cleaning my tank out today and found this little guy in there. Anyone have any idea what it might be? It was just laying in the tank.

33CEE90B-B760-488A-8CD7-C75E2FC44A79_zpsbcurtdkf.jpg

OP
OP

3Squids

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
Worked a bit today on the truck. I soaked that rust fuel pump hanger in Evapo-Rust and it came surprisingly clean. Cleaned out the tank real good and all. Put 10 gallons of fresh gas in it and nothing. She cranked and cranked and cranked. I can hear the fuel pump come on when I turn the key. Then it cuts off. I unhooked the supply line at the tank and turned the key on and nothing is coming out. I pulled the pump back out and turned the key on and the pump comes on. It shuts off and when I turn the truck over it comes on again. The line from the pump to the top of the housing is clear. I measured the depth of the fuel and the pump is being fully submerged in fuel. Any ideas what I'm missing?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
it is normal for the pump to only run for a second or 2 after you turn the key on. all it is doing is priming the system and then shutting off until the computer detects signal from the distributor to let it know that the engine is running. considering what the fuel sending unit looks like it might be a good idea to pop the fuel line off the throttle body and see if the fuel line is clear and that fresh fuel is actually making it to the engine. you could possibly have a blocked fuel filter or something. i would stick the end of the fuel line from the throttle body into a empty water bottle to see how the stuff coming out looks.

you could also try pouring a bit of gas down the throttle body and see if it will fire. that way you could eliminate the ignition system as your problem if it fires up

OP
OP

3Squids

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
it is normal for the pump to only run for a second or 2 after you turn the key on. all it is doing is priming the system and then shutting off until the computer detects signal from the distributor to let it know that the engine is running. considering what the fuel sending unit looks like it might be a good idea to pop the fuel line off the throttle body and see if the fuel line is clear and that fresh fuel is actually making it to the engine. you could possibly have a blocked fuel filter or something. i would stick the end of the fuel line from the throttle body into a empty water bottle to see how the stuff coming out looks.

you could also try pouring a bit of gas down the throttle body and see if it will fire. that way you could eliminate the ignition system as your problem if it fires up

I've poured gas in the TB and it fires right up. And I pulled the feed line off right at the tank and nothing is coming out of the tank at all.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
if the pump is running and there is nothing coming out then 1 of the lines is likely clogged or the pump might be bad. did you install a new pump?

OP
OP

3Squids

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
if the pump is running and there is nothing coming out then 1 of the lines is likely clogged or the pump might be bad. did you install a new pump?

Yea it's a new pump. Gonna try and fool with it a little more tomorrow if it warms up a bit. Was a nice 30 degrees out there today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
just take it in with you. did you install a new fuel line with the new pump? i would trade you weather. it has been below 30 here for the last couple weeks

OP
OP

3Squids

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
Found the problem. The wiring harness from the pump/sensing unit to the top of the housing is shot. I guess with it out the wires were just touching enough to make it work but when I put it in they wouldn't make contact. I pulled the plug off and sure enough 2 wires were not connected but just shoved up in the holes. Problem is of course they do not make a replacement. Also the sending unit is shot. Once again no replacement. Going to have to get creative with this one.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
that would do it. you are definitely going to have to get creative with that. you could still try fixing them wires to at least test fire the engine to see if it will run under its own power or if there is possibly more issues.

OP
OP

3Squids

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
Yea I like your idea about a tank behind the axle but yes, I'd like to get it running good to see how much motor or trans work she may need. If I could just find a female connector to go on the male end I could make something work.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
could always wires straight from the pump to the sending unit connector just so it can pump fuel to test things out.

OP
OP

3Squids

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
Got it running. Just shoved some butt connectors up on the terminals. Took a few seconds to prime up but started right up. I got a video and I'll post it up soon as I can get it to load to photo bucket. The exhaust is rusted out so it's pretty loud. I got the bed half hanging off the truck so I couldn't move it but I did put it in reverse and drive and it was quick to bump into gear so seems the trans is working.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
that is good to hear. getting something running for the first time in a long time is always nice. lol i am pretty use to no exhaust. i haven't had a muffler on my 93 for a while and i just put the muffler back on my 81 recently.

OP
OP

3Squids

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
This is broke off right behind the Y-pipe haha. Sounds like an old boat.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
hahaha i drove my 81 like that for a weekend when my y-pip broke. it made for an interesting weekend. it sounded good but i did fix it pretty quick since i was running the highway a lot and didn't want to give the police a reason to pull me over. i have also run my 81 with no manifolds. that was very loud even on just the low idle.
[yt]__vRPQHKhQs[/yt]

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
sounds pretty good. if you plan on keeping the smog pump you may want to take the 1 connector off and put some oil in the pump. most of the time those usually eventually seize up and then people remove them.

OP
OP

3Squids

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
No all that crap will be taken off. Not a big smog state here in Va.