*&%$#@ ram!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Paying for a rental with a brand new truck. That is not acceptable at all. I love Ram but stuff like that just busts my chops. Send me home in a lot car. Figure something out. Stuff like this will make a person hate the brand and destroy referrals. I would still think it is the battery.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Given the amount of electronics running on these rigs, I invested in one of those rescue jumper units; the one with an air compressor too. I keep it plugged in at home unless I'm worried.

Turns out it was my wife's '14 Cherokee that needed the rescue for a failed battery.
FCA uses extremely expensive German batteries. Priced one to see if I could just fix it myself--$150 that was a ******.

Anyway, the jumper got it started and having it sitting on the floor in back let me use the car until I could get a new battery under warranty.

Great investment.

Reactions: RWW
OP
OP
R

RWW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Minivan Motor
Given the amount of electronics running on these rigs, I invested in one of those rescue jumper units; the one with an air compressor too. I keep it plugged in at home unless I'm worried.

Turns out it was my wife's '14 Cherokee that needed the rescue for a failed battery.
FCA uses extremely expensive German batteries. Priced one to see if I could just fix it myself--$150 that was a ******.

Anyway, the jumper got it started and having it sitting on the floor in back let me use the car until I could get a new battery under warranty.

Great investment.

I broke down and bought one of those last night, (jump pack) minus the air compressor. I can't afford to be stuck. I've always been taught that electrical problems in a vehicle are the worst.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins

Are you sure? Do you mean the European sizes? The battery is almost certainly from the US. ONE OF THE MAIN THREE battery companies with FCA or Mopar label. Snap a pic of it and share it.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8

Not trying to be a smart ass, but if you think thats expensive, check out one of the AGM batteries for a Grand Cherokee. Cheapest I can find locally is over $200.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I can't Guarantee it but I would guess all the be vehicles FCA makes are coming with AGM batteries now.

OP
OP
R

RWW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Minivan Motor
Andrea from RAM CARES called me this morning saying she was involved in my situation. I had already talked to the servicing dealer. They were going to jump the truck, get it in the shop and do some tests. Bottom line is...I stopped at the dealer around 3pm, my truck is sitting outside. The Service Manager said the battery is good, they have no rental cars for me. Take the truck, hopefully it holds up and I can bring it back in when they have a rental available. Andrea from RAM CARES said if I wanted to pay for a rental vehicle up front they would re-imburse me. I wasn't willing to do that. (I feel that I shouldn't have to fork out anything out of pocket after purchasing a vehicle with a warranty.)

Well the truck let me down again. Saturday rolls around, go to start the truck, the remote start doesn't work. The dash says "Remote start disabled, start vehicle to reset". It works 3 of 7x during the afternoon we're out running errands. Sunday I go out to the garage, put the truck outside and work in the garage for about 3hrs. Go to pull the truck inside for the night and the battery is dead. I jump start the truck and go about my night. The following day, I jump start the truck, take it to my selling dealer where it still sits. They charged the battery all day Monday, came in today and the truck is dead. They have no idea what the problem is. Andrea has re-opened my STAR case and offered the advice of some electrical engineers to help the dealer techs get it worked out. Hopefully they can get it figured out.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I see a new truck in your future.....hope they make it right.

blrmkrl83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That really sucks. You bought a new truck not only because they are nice but you wanted something dependable also. Damn thing's no better than a 76 Pinto when it doesn't start. I wish you the best of luck. Hope they get it figured or or get you a new truck soon.

OP
OP
R

RWW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Minivan Motor
I see a new truck in your future.....hope they make it right.

Well, I got the call saying it was the battery after all. They put the new battery in, kept it overnight, everything is good to go. I pick it up drive it about a week and a half and yesterday I go out to go to work, TRUCKS DEAD, won't start.

I'm 100% done with this truck!!! I pay a payment for reliability and the fact that I don't want to be working on, jump starting or messing with a vehicle. I honestly do NOT want to do that or I would have a older vehicle that needed work to keep running. 8,000 miles on this truck and it's a lemon.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm 100% done with this truck!!! I pay a payment for reliability and the fact that I don't want to be working on, jump starting or messing with a vehicle. I honestly do NOT want to do that or I would have a older vehicle that needed work to keep running. 8,000 miles on this truck and it's a lemon.

It happens man.

My bro in law bought a brand new ford dually and it just kept going back to the dealer for transmission issues....months later they eventually bought it back from him.

Good luck.

OP
OP
R

RWW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Minivan Motor
The fact that you have a truck payment doesn't guarantee it will be problem free.

If you are so worried about money perhaps you shouldn't have purchased such an expensive truck for your budget.

Get a lawyer but please don't make a scene again.

The fact that I have a payment should indicate the truck is 2-3 years old typically. Unfortunately it is only about 6 months old and having issues.

I'm not so worried about money, and do NOT have a budget for my vehicles. If I like them, I buy them. BUT, when I do buy a vehicle, unless it's a project vehicle, I 100% expect them to start and run 100%.

If this is what you consider making a scene, you must live a sheltered life while typing from your mothers basement.

Skerj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'd think they could poke around and find the source of the draw pretty quick if it's enough to kill a battery overnight. I've left headlights on all day (woops...) and still been able to start.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Best bet is to look into lemon law. Too bad. It's probably something simple, but the day of the trouble shooting mechanic has passed and unless a code is thrown so the tech can look in the manual for repair procedures it's a crap shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Galion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As an HD technician I have to say, anything drawing enough power to kill the battery that fast should be easily found by a competent mechanic. This sounds a lot like their techs don't know how to troubleshoot and diagnose electrical and instead are loading up the parts canon to fire at it. But dealerships aren't exactly known for having good techs generally so it's not terribly surprising. If it's only been to the same dealership every time, I'd suggest you try bringing it to a different one and hope they have someone who can troubleshoot and diagnose properly.

Scgirardi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check battery terminals vinegar and baking soda cleans them well