possessed 2013 ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Token

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 litre
2013 4.7 Dodge Ram 1500. The original battery (10 years old) died last week. I replaced the battery and the truck will start fine but will not shut of by the key/fob switch. When I disconnect the battery, it continues running on the current from the alternator. I have to pull the ASD relay from the fuse panel to stop the engine. I have to disconnect the battery as well or the interior lights for the odometer and RPM gauge remain on. I assume this is what drained the original battery as the truck had been sitting idle for a few days. I have pulled, checked and reinserted all of the fuses, relays and body controllers in the fuse panel while checking for corrosion hoping this would reset the computer with no results so far.

hogan1945

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Disconnect the positive and negative cables from battery. Touch them together for 20 minutes.
reconnect and start. This may correct problem?2023-09-26 16.51.37.jpg

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any codes? did you scan the truck It is probably the igniton switch they fail at least once in the trucks life if you have heavy keys every single 4th gen i have owned I have had to swap it out.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have to wonder if you've got a relay contact sticking. Maybe swap some relays around?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Might try swapping the 'start' relay under the hood (fuse box) with another like relay. Make sure your battery connections & grounds are good. Flake-out situations on these Rams are often caused by poor electrical connections.

OP
OP
T

Token

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 litre
Any codes? did you scan the truck It is probably the igniton switch they fail at least once in the trucks life if you have heavy keys every single 4th gen i have owned I have had to swap it out.
I have not had it scanned yet. Makes sense as it sounds like a solenoid or something malfunctioning in the ignition switch when you move the shifter out of park. Having it scanned on Monday. Thanks