2011 tradesman 4wd noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikesskidoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I just noticed my 2011 1500 tradesman whining when decelerating and coasting in 4wd, never noticed it/heard it until now? it is silent when under power, only makes noise coasting or slowing down...its got 40,000 miles on it... not super loud, if the radios on you cant really hear it very well.... not a grinding or ratcheting, just a "whine" type sound almost like when your driving a manual trans vehicle and downshift to slow down... normal or?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Normal transfer case noise. It is basically a chain drive in a light ATF fluid, so it will whine somewhat. If you have no clue when the fluid was last changed, probably a good preventative to change it.

OP
OP
M

mikesskidoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I bought it new and have never changed it...... guess I will be doing that. any thoughts on why it was quiet until now? or chalk it up to needing an oil change?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I bought it new and have never changed it...... guess I will be doing that. any thoughts on why it was quiet until now? or chalk it up to needing an oil change?

All things mechanical wear. I would chalk it up to needing a fluid change but there is still the chance it may not decrease the noise if enough wear has set in.