30K tune up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I just had the 30k service done to the truck yesterday at the dealer, they had to keep it over night though because I work nights and couldn't pick it up until today, but paid that bill, got her back, and now I feel a little uncomfortable sitting down...haha.

I had completely forgotten how much that tune up costs on a 4x4 and I've had it done before on my old truck and I know a couple other people that have had it done and paid almost the exact same amount. The reason I decided to go to the dealer and have everything done vs doing it myself though was simply for the sound of mind of knowing that if something was wrong, it's already at the dealer and if they found something, they can file the warranty claim and fix it, while paying for my rental. Plus, it's the first time any of the power train is getting serviced since I've had it and with the issue's some people have had with the drive train, I'd be happier with them looking everything over.

Next time around though, it'll be me under the truck with new covers to install, lol. Next thing to come up though....spark plugs, yay!

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
got to love maintence, getting my spark plugs from matt soon for my truck!! then i will try to do rear diff and tranny!

BigDogg795

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I just had the 30k service done to the truck yesterday at the dealer, they had to keep it over night though because I work nights and couldn't pick it up until today, but paid that bill, got her back, and now I feel a little uncomfortable sitting down...haha.

I had completely forgotten how much that tune up costs on a 4x4 and I've had it done before on my old truck and I know a couple other people that have had it done and paid almost the exact same amount. The reason I decided to go to the dealer and have everything done vs doing it myself though was simply for the sound of mind of knowing that if something was wrong, it's already at the dealer and if they found something, they can file the warranty claim and fix it, while paying for my rental. Plus, it's the first time any of the power train is getting serviced since I've had it and with the issue's some people have had with the drive train, I'd be happier with them looking everything over.

Next time around though, it'll be me under the truck with new covers to install, lol. Next thing to come up though....spark plugs, yay!

Wait, doesn't the 30K Service change the plugs?

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Whats involved in the 30k service change?

According to the 2011 Ram Owners Manual it's the 32K mile service (don't see one for 30K mile service)

Change engine oil and filter
Rotate tires
Replace engine air cleaner
Replace spark plugs on the 3.7 and 5.7 engine
Lube front drive shaft on 2500 and 3500 4x4 models
Adjust parking brake
Inspect transfer case fluid
Inspect brake linings and replace if necessary
Inspect front suspension and replace if necessary

seems like the 2010 and 2011 service schedules are a tad different.

Last edited:

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Oh joy got about 4k miles until I need to do these. I'll probably change the plugs myself and save some money.

OP
OP
2K10HemiRam

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The service schedules are the same I believe, it's just that at 30k I wanted all my fluids replaced because I felt at 30k, the fluids should get replaced. The dealer was also suggesting 30k to get done what I got done. I happy with getting everything done right now because the truck is running a good bit smoother then it was before I had everything changed.

I can't remember the schedule off the top of my head but the plugs should be due right about now also, I didn't think about them at all while I was there but oh well, they're simple enough to do on my own here soon...and a lot cheaper.

I called the dealers I got here and they all said about 1000-1100 for 4x4 30k servicing which is about what I paid a couple years back for my 99 so yea...They actually knocked the price down for me because they needed to give me a rental, they rotated/balance my tires for free, took a bit off cause I'm military, they found a coupon, and the guy that initially helped me under quoted the service by a bit because he's brand new and still learning stuff. so the lead service guy cut $75 off the total.

the servicing included

power steering flush/service
brake flush/service
Coolant flush
tranny flush/service
transfer case fluid change
and of course the regular inspect everything, topped off the fluids they didn't touch, and washed my truck for me which was still dirty as hell from off roading.

So, it cost a lot but I'm happy with how the truck feels and runs now so I'll suck up the price cost. But I will do everything else myself now...lol.
front & rear diff fluid change

slodsm

Life begins at -160f
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm dropping mine off in the morning for my 60k so I know how you feel. I'm lighter every time I leave that place. I do my plugs myself but tranny/xfer I let them do.

v8only

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
holy crap a grand for an oil change and a spark plug change....man these dealers make a lot of money

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

v8only

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
air filter....its pretty much check this check that...i have never had anyone touch any of my vehicles except for an oil change..so i guess im lucky to do all my own work

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

paulycoppola5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WOW dealers are such thieves.... I'm so sorry and I'm not throwing a jab at you or anyone else who gets this service, but you better bring lube. WOW.

To do this service yourself at home would cost maybe $250-300 with mid to high grade fluids, filters, plugs, and gaskets... This is an incredibly easy service... All of the flushes and fluid changes and filters could be done while on your back without issue. $1000+ for that, NO way. Even if you spent 5 hours doing this, who cares, you're saving $800+.

I also feel if you go to a local mechanic and ask for these services for those of you not confident doing it yourself you'd still be out the door for far less than a dealer is costing you... Keeping records from a local certified mechanic shouldn't void your warranty I'd hope.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
All that matters is that he is happy with his choice to do it through the dealer lol. For me maybe that will be time for an upgrade...hehe

WhySoSerious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not Yet
Engine
To Be Announced
WOW dealers are such thieves.... I'm so sorry and I'm not throwing a jab at you or anyone else who gets this service, but you better bring lube. WOW.

To do this service yourself at home would cost maybe $250-300 with mid to high grade fluids, filters, plugs, and gaskets... This is an incredibly easy service... All of the flushes and fluid changes and filters could be done while on your back without issue. $1000+ for that, NO way. Even if you spent 5 hours doing this, who cares, you're saving $800+.

I also feel if you go to a local mechanic and ask for these services for those of you not confident doing it yourself you'd still be out the door for far less than a dealer is costing you... Keeping records from a local certified mechanic shouldn't void your warranty I'd hope.

yep, sounds good. I hope. Good question. Anyone know?

-WSS

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Any certified mechanic is OK. Just keep all receipts to prove the work was done

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

That depends. Ram offers pre-paid maintenance at purchase which has the advantage of a fixed price for everything but brakes tires and alignments for the first 6yrs/90Kmiles and gets a dealer mechanic under the hood frequently while stilll under warranty. My dealer also gives a lifetime warranty on the powertrain provided they or another dealer does the service schedule maintenance. But all those who have observed that any ole service joint could do the fluid changes more cheaply are correct. :Plugged:

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The service schedules are the same I believe, it's just that at 30k I wanted all my fluids replaced because I felt at 30k, the fluids should get replaced. The dealer was also suggesting 30k to get done what I got done. I happy with getting everything done right now because the truck is running a good bit smoother then it was before I had everything changed.

I can't remember the schedule off the top of my head but the plugs should be due right about now also, I didn't think about them at all while I was there but oh well, they're simple enough to do on my own here soon...and a lot cheaper.

I called the dealers I got here and they all said about 1000-1100 for 4x4 30k servicing which is about what I paid a couple years back for my 99 so yea...They actually knocked the price down for me because they needed to give me a rental, they rotated/balance my tires for free, took a bit off cause I'm military, they found a coupon, and the guy that initially helped me under quoted the service by a bit because he's brand new and still learning stuff. so the lead service guy cut $75 off the total.

the servicing included

power steering flush/service
brake flush/service
Coolant flush
tranny flush/service
transfer case fluid change
and of course the regular inspect everything, topped off the fluids they didn't touch, and washed my truck for me which was still dirty as hell from off roading.

So, it cost a lot but I'm happy with how the truck feels and runs now so I'll suck up the price cost. But I will do everything else myself now...lol.
front & rear diff fluid change

I'm a real DIY guy but if you got all that done as well as what was listed above as a standard 30K service, that's a pretty good deal.
I'm going to have to learn a lot of this. I've done only basic oil changes, trans fluid, brakes etc. I honestly barely know where the transfer case is. At least good ol' Amsoil has a great site where they list each and every fluid & filter part# for the truck.