4000 Mile ROAD trip!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So me an my GF are going on a road trip to from SF bay Area, to vegas, staying with family in Colorado, then from there to Minnesota. It is 2300 miles one way. In away what goes up must come down.... Everymile i go i must come back...

The furthest i have driven was to montana so far. I was wondering what things i should take, some precautions, somethings i should do to my truck before going.

ALso my GF doesnt want to drive for 15 1.2 hours straight... so i want to make a little bed the goes in the rear seats or some sort of rig, anything out there?

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
well ive made it accross the country on nothing but energy drinks. at one point i drove for 17 hours straight, that sucked lol.

in todays world there are enough rest stops that you dont need much honestly
i would just bring cash instead of using my credit card

as for the bed, maybe some sort of hammock?

oh and make sure your oil is fresh tires are good and all the bolts are tight!

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I drove from Naples Florida to Winnipeg Canada in two days with my wife who was my gf at the time, I did all the driving. I will never do that again, take your time and don't force yourself to continue driving if your unsure of yourself, lots of cheap super 8's all over the interstate to stay at if needed.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
we have two weeks, yet we want to spend as much time as we can in MN family reunion... if we stop its 10 hr 1 day and 5 hour the second... or just spend 5 more hours and just be there...

Good idea about cash didnt even think about that...

she wants to stop i want to go...

my oil change is comming up so going todo it right before we go and buy 2 gallons of coolant and keep it in the truck incase for what ever reason...

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
2 days after I bought my truck I drove 1500 miles Oregon to north Dakota. Ive done it a few times back and forth. Fill up the gas tank and go

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I don't go anywhere out of town without an electric impact wrench of some sort. At the bare minimum you can get a plug in 12 volt DC one cheap somewhere. 130 ft-lb lug nuts are no joke! If you make an adapter you can even use it to raise and lower the spare tire. Chit happens! Bring tools. Firearm, knife, beef jerky, etc.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Few tools just to get you out of minor trouble I have a small hand held tool box I fill up but nothing crazy get your oil changed if you need to check your tires (incurring your spare) and some 5 hour energy's.

We go from Texas to Minnesota it's 980 miles to where we go (really nice this time of the year) and we leave anywheres from 9pm-5am depending how geddy we are. I drive Oklahoma Kansas Missouri and then the wife takes over in Iowa and I sleep and then I drive Minnesota. Getting in at noon is awesome but we sleep and trade off so it makes it easy.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
for the GF
Amazon.com: AirBedz Original Truck Bed Air Mattress for Full Sized Short Bed Trucks: Automotive

As for the drive, I'd bring some basic tools, jumper cables and maybe a portable tire air pump that plugs into the cigarette lighter, jack if you don't already have the OEM one in the truck.. a cooler for soda/water and snack food... and a ipod full of music!!

I'm a bit of a extremist and usually bring the basic back country backpacking type gear too. small stove, pot/pan gas for the backpack stove, blankets and such when crossing the dessert but you never really need it.. just the boyscout in me to be prepared.

but as for cost... if you can afford it I'd recommend renting a car... mostly cause put the cost and miles on their junk instead of yours and if it breaks down they will bring you another. I used to drive my stuff all over the country but now I rent a car or truck. just rented a yota to drive to my folks this past weekend, put 2,000 miles on it and it only cost me $150 for 4 days.

Raist11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Summer time drive, plan ahead. Either rest up and get a good sleep the couple nights before and drive the 15 hrs.. Or look at the map and find a halfway point to reserve a hotel at ahead of time. 8hr trip in one day is pretty decent.

The one mistake I learned from was not reserving a hotel when traveling in July. I drove about 16hrs, wanted to stop but had to drive another two hours before I could find a town that had a room to rent. (weddings, ball tournaments, etc)

Raist11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will say this, you have a total of 15 hrs of driving time. That's not even a day, no need for a bed. The seat will recline and that way she can keep her seatbelt on.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All great ideas... im only 21 so cant rent a car just yet... i had a ford 6.0 and i was dreading this trip and almost flew, but now got a nice newer truck that "SHOULDNT" break down but you never know. I have a tool box im going to bring, alot of stuff im bringong. My grandpa was worrying me about fuel. In California there is a gas station every 15 miles, Is there really scarcity of gas stations or should i not really have to worry about that in the northern midwest?

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
All great ideas... im only 21 so cant rent a car just yet... i had a ford 6.0 and i was dreading this trip and almost flew, but now got a nice newer truck that "SHOULDNT" break down but you never know. I have a tool box im going to bring, alot of stuff im bringong. My grandpa was worrying me about fuel. In California there is a gas station every 15 miles, Is there really scarcity of gas stations or should i not really have to worry about that in the northern midwest?

Don't worry about gas stations just plan around big city's I know I have a solid 420-450 miles range I plan on city's around 350-400. Even though your 21 you can still rent a car they just charge a little more. I got my first rental car at 24 the you can't rent a car till your 25 is a myth. I wasn't going out of state with it witch might make a difference, I got it just why my truck was in the shop for a week.

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Their are plenty of gas stations. I wouldn't blow by a gas station with a quarter tank left if you are in the middle of nowhere. Ive driven vegas to Detroit. Oregon to Detroit taking the northern route. Oregon to nodak. And never has a gas station issue. Just have a good trip and enjoy it

JimsRamTruck2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've done a trip from NJ to KS. 19h 45m but I did an over night stop each way. :crazy:

Just make sure you have some tools and parts to make basic repairs and plenty of snakes and drinks ( I know others have posted this kind of thing already).

Also, doesn't hurt to plan out your stops. Do a search on the old net for what's around so you can stop at the right time and place. :waytogo:

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
15 hrs in one trip is doable, but it is a LONG time to be in a car/truck. I'd break it up into 2 segments if I were you. Your GF will appreciate it... hopefully in more ways than one :) . Map it out on Google an see where your halfway point would be. You could go a little over halfway, to make your second day a shorter drive.

My last long trip was 16 hours. Drove from Oklahoma to Crested Butte, CO. We did the first 5-6 hours after work at night, spent the night and drove the rest of the way the second day. Spending the night was well worth it. On the way home, we drove straight through... wish we would've stopped for the night, but had to get back for work. That drive home was miserable!

Oh yea, as for tips... get a road safety kit. You can find them at auto parts stores or Wal-Mart. It's usually in a bag of some sort and will have an air compressor, tow rope, blanket, flare, etc... emergency type stuff that can come in handy. Pack plenty of snacks before hand so you don't have to stop to eat. Gas stations usually aren't a problem. Like someone said before, if you have a 1/4 tank, stop and fill up. Especially in the desert areas. Some of those stretches can get lonely for stops, but you should be ok.

Last edited:

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh yea... I'd rent a car too. You should be able to rent something at 21. Save the wear and tear on your truck and put it on the rental. Just don't tell them where all you are going. Most of the time, they want you to stay within a certain area.

I know in Oklahoma, you can drive out of state and they won't charge extra as long as it's a surrounding state. If you let them know you are driving across country, the rates will be higher.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
99% of rental car companies require you to be 25 to rent it on your own and it costs alot to be a driver under 25 on someone else's rental.

As for your gas, as mentioned, treat a 1/4 tank as a empty tank and you'll be fine. and enjoy the drive...

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
yeah i wouldnt worry about gas stations. When my cousin and i went from washington state down through cali and towards NJ (56 1/2 hours of driving) i only almost ran out of gas once. I missed the gas station rest stop in the middle of Arizona with only 1/4 tank...and we were driving his jeep srt8 so we werent getting the best millage.

Spent over 1 grand on gas lol

anyway moral of the story..once you get passed half and your on an interstate..FILL UP

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
99% of rental car companies require you to be 25 to rent it on your own and it costs alot to be a driver under 25 on someone else's rental.

As for your gas, as mentioned, treat a 1/4 tank as a empty tank and you'll be fine. and enjoy the drive...

This could be a regional thing but the enterprise and Avis have no problems with under 25. The enterprise was $100 more a week for a full sized car for drivers between 21-24 it listed a 18-20 option. I rented a truck when I was 24 I know your allowed to do it but I'm not sure about everywhere.

Edit: there is policy for 18-20 it's military or if you live in New York or Michigan. 21-24 is good just no luxury vans or trucks pretty much limited to car

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited: