4WD Slips out under load

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sg11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 ram 1500
Engine
hemi 5.7
First off i'll start by saying hi as this is my first post on the forum. My truck is a 2015 ram 1500 4x4 sport with 8 speed transmission.
Last winter i got stuck in heavy snow and in the process of trying to get out i lost 4wd. I was getting a message on the dash saying 4wd overheated performance temporarily reduced. I ended up getting towed out and didnt really have to use it the rest of the winter. This fall i went to back my boat in the back yard and the truck said it was locked in 4wd but only the back tires would spin and i got stuck. Once it snowed i tried it again and as soon as you put the throttle down it seems to slip out and go sideways. You can feel a vibration as it slips out as if a clutch is shot. I took it to the dealer and go figure they try and say my 4wd works great. The more i read about these transfer cases the less im liking this truck. It seems really weird im getting no codes or anything stating the 4wd is malfunctioning. Has anybody else experienced this on the forum?

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First, welcome to the group. I have never had any issues with 4wd in mine and here there is lots of snow. Maybe take it to a different dealer?

OP
OP
S

sg11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 ram 1500
Engine
hemi 5.7
First, welcome to the group. I have never had any issues with 4wd in mine and here there is lots of snow. Maybe take it to a different dealer?

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately this may be my only option. They basically called me a liar and gave me a lesson on engaging my "on demand" 4 wheel drive lol. They said they would need a code to farther diagnose the problem

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First off i'll start by saying hi as this is my first post on the forum. My truck is a 2015 ram 1500 4x4 sport with 8 speed transmission.

Last winter i got stuck in heavy snow and in the process of trying to get out i lost 4wd. I was getting a message on the dash saying 4wd overheated performance temporarily reduced. I ended up getting towed out and didnt really have to use it the rest of the winter. This fall i went to back my boat in the back yard and the truck said it was locked in 4wd but only the back tires would spin and i got stuck. Once it snowed i tried it again and as soon as you put the throttle down it seems to slip out and go sideways. You can feel a vibration as it slips out as if a clutch is shot. I took it to the dealer and go figure they try and say my 4wd works great. The more i read about these transfer cases the less im liking this truck. It seems really weird im getting no codes or anything stating the 4wd is malfunctioning. Has anybody else experienced this on the forum?

This is exactly the problem with this transfer case. There's an entire thread about it, actually multiple threads. This transfer is junk for anything other than on road use. Also just an FYI, clutches are what lock the front wheels to the back wheels on this transfer case. This is the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

sg11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 ram 1500
Engine
hemi 5.7
This is exactly the problem with this transfer case. There's an entire thread about it, actually multiple threads. This transfer is junk for anything other than on road use. Also just an FYI, clutches are what lock the front wheels to the back wheels on this transfer case. This is the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are the things I wish I researched before buying the truck 2 years ago. It's unfortunate as i love everything else about the truck. After reading these threads I find it hilarious that the dealer tells me they have never seen such a thing

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
They basically called me a liar and gave me a lesson on engaging my "on demand" 4 wheel drive lol.

This has been my experience with Ram dealers as well. They talk to you in some teacher to student tone with some completely BS story to make you go away. I've found unless your truck literally won't move or is on fire there is no problem as far as they are concerned. And I've had similar experiences at several dealers in my area so I'm pretty sure the methods start pretty far up the chain of command.

As for your situation, if/when you get it worked out be sure to test your xfer case at least every few months while on some gravel to be sure its working. I can't tell for sure from your post but it sounds like you've gone some pretty long times without using it.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There has to be cooling problem with those transfer cases. I have the same one and have no issues to date and I work it out on the all wheel drive setting and havent had an issue. Every issue i hear comes with the overheat error. So to be it would seem the clutch system is not well designed.

Again I haven't had a single hiccup with it, but there are a few that have.

OP
OP
S

sg11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 ram 1500
Engine
hemi 5.7
This has been my experience with Ram dealers as well. They talk to you in some teacher to student tone with some completely BS story to make you go away. I've found unless your truck literally won't move or is on fire there is no problem as far as they are concerned. And I've had similar experiences at several dealers in my area so I'm pretty sure the methods start pretty far up the chain of command.

As for your situation, if/when you get it worked out be sure to test your xfer case at least every few months while on some gravel to be sure its working. I can't tell for sure from your post but it sounds like you've gone some pretty long times without using it.

Sorry I didnt state above. I usually engage 4 lock every time i load my boat coming out the ramp just in case my back tires dont grip. I do use it off road for fishing but i guess this summer i never got in a position where it was needed and i noticed the front not spinning

Markcuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
Engine
Last winter i got stuck in heavy snow and in the process of trying to get out i lost 4wd.
I can only imagine what went on here.

What you may have done when you were stuck, you may have cooked the clutches and now it will not work properly.
I am sure glad I did not buy my Ram to use the four wheel drive system extensively.

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Does this only pertain to the 1500 or have people experienced this in the 2500 and up?

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
The Borg Warner (BW) 44-44 transfer case is the one with the clutches in the 1500s (not in the 2500s and 3500s). If you have the "Auto 4WD" button, then you have it. The BW 44-45 is the one that engages like the "old school" systems, no clutches (and no auto 4WD).

+1 for the idea that you may have burned up the clutches, sg11. I'd find a different dealer and get it looked at more closely.

I find the 44-44 handy sometimes, and not handy other times. If I find its not engaging when I want it, I turn the wheels slightly or create a little more stress on it, and then it kicks in. I wouldn't take it into an off-road situation any more stressful than the ditch off a highway, or a driveway. I give it a mixed review, but once you learn how it behaves, it is satisfactory for me.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sorry I didnt state above. I usually engage 4 lock every time i load my boat coming out the ramp just in case my back tires dont grip. I do use it off road for fishing but i guess this summer i never got in a position where it was needed and i noticed the front not spinning

i ja d the same TC in my 11 ram and now my 16. i haven't had this or any other issue. i have driven through some pretty heavy snow conditions. if had a warning light on your dash, there should be a stored code. you may have a defective TF, but i believe the dealership is inept. that is the real issue.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A major problem with the bw44-44 is people really don't quite know how to use it, they ruin it, then come here and start ********. You can show the haste all you want, but the dealer trying to educate you on how it works is a good thing. To many of you think if you give it gas, all four wheels need to spin, that's NOT how it works. It's not broken because it behaves differently, it's broken in your mind because you simply don't know how to use it.

Find a another dealer, get the clutches repaired, and then take the education they are offering.

Markcuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
Engine
One time and probably one time only, I agree with poster number14 ))

OP
OP
S

sg11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 ram 1500
Engine
hemi 5.7
A major problem with the bw44-44 is people really don't quite know how to use it, they ruin it, then come here and start ********. You can show the haste all you want, but the dealer trying to educate you on how it works is a good thing. To many of you think if you give it gas, all four wheels need to spin, that's NOT how it works. It's not broken because it behaves differently, it's broken in your mind because you simply don't know how to use it.

Find a another dealer, get the clutches repaired, and then take the education they are offering.

I do agree with you that with proper use the transfer case will work fine. My past truck was an 05 and prior truck to that was a 98 so this is new technology to me. The education they offered me was how to engage it which is pressing a button. Now that I've read up on it from forums like this it makes sense

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I do agree with you that with proper use the transfer case will work fine. My past truck was an 05 and prior truck to that was a 98 so this is new technology to me. The education they offered me was how to engage it which is pressing a button. Now that I've read up on it from forums like this it makes sense

i re-read what i wrote, and i'm attempting to be " nicer ", what i was saying wasn't being implied towards you. I'm merely pointing out, while the dealers are idiots, they have a point in this case because SO many people are going in for the same issues. The transfer case is solid , for the most part, but it has ot be used in a unique way in order to reap the benefits properly.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It sounds like you burned the clutches as previously stated. I have had a few of these cases come in with burnt clutches and always get the same story. "Was just driving along" or "was just slightly stuck and couldn't get out"
So I am not sure if these cases are junk or the failed ones are from incompetence or abuse, you get kinda cynical after being lied to on a daily basis by customers.
To the OP. just to satisfy my curiosity, were you being real stupid with this thing or just rocking to get out of being slightly stuck?
No judgement just trying to get insight on these case failures. I will be the first to admit I've done some stupid ****

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
I use mine in the winter no problems or when I'm back my ttl into the back yard (uphill) in 4wheel low no problems . had 2010 ram laramie 4wheel drive auto as well have done some minor off roading no problems with that one either.

BBRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah this was why I got the tradesman 1500 no clutchs in the t case for that auto 4wd and too my knowledge the 2500 has a chain driven tcase someone correct me if I am wrong and I got a tradesman with slt so I have a manual engaged lever no buttons