4WD Slips out under load

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
just a thought but has anyone tried 4 lock and turn off traction control? I know when I tested this itll spin all 4 tires for ever. With traction control on itll slow down the fronts if they start to spin freely.

Someone some day will make an electronic over ride to lock the center clutch when in 4-high or 4-low. This would be the best overall.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
just a thought but has anyone tried 4 lock and turn off traction control? I know when I tested this itll spin all 4 tires for ever. With traction control on itll slow down the fronts if they start to spin freely.

Someone some day will make an electronic over ride to lock the center clutch when in 4-high or 4-low. This would be the best overall.

I assumed this was a given, you shouldn't be using any of the 4wd modes with traction control on. The system isn't working strictly based off the rear wheels. It's a friction plate, and needs friction to move, if the TC is on, the front will NOT engage properly, if at all. Though, without checking, i THINK 4LO, and 4LOCK disable TC for you once you reach a certain speed.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
4 low is the only way TC will stay off. I must of missed the part about having to turn off TC in 4wd.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
4 low is the only way TC will stay off. I must of missed the part about having to turn off TC in 4wd.

Yeah, Admittingly, I wasn't aware. I did run to the store a bit ago, and gave it a look through all of them, TC is on other than in low.

It doesnt' HAVE to be off, but it's going to require more friction to cause the front to engage with TC on. TC limits power to the rear wheels when you push the TC , even a little. The front won't engage, or may engage later than usual, that's why you don't see the front wheels spinning at idle, even if you're rear wheels will spin at idle while on ice, their isn't enough friction to need to use the front wheels. I personally find that flawed a bit, but it is what it is.

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
WilliamS Bingo! Thanks you so much for this hint, i was not thinking that the ESC influences this.

Reading my car's manual to check if i have traction control i found som stuff regarding ESC and TCS.

As far i could decypher what is written in my Spanish manual,
it seems that i can't switch off traction control as there is no switch,
but disabling ESP will change how the transfer transfer will work and add extra wheel turns.
There a 2 different settings
ESC partially off: press the ESC button once leads to: Wheels can turn more turns that the ESP usually allows
this mode is used to help get the car moving in snow, sand and deep gravel
ESC completely off: press the ESC button for 5 seconds leads to ESC+TCS off below 40 mph, at higher speeds it reactivates ESC and TCS (excluded the Limited Slip function) automatically to ESC partially off and when lowering speed again less than 35mph it disable ESC+TCS again totally.

BUT: There is also written that in 4WD LOW ESC is always disabled....

If i have time i will go to a empty beach and give that a try!

Chris

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
WilliamS Bingo! Thanks you so much for this hint, i was not thinking that the ESC influences this.

Reading my car's manual to check if i have traction control i found som stuff regarding ESC and TCS.

but disabling ESP will change how the transfer transfer will work and add extra wheel turns.
ESC partially off: press the ESC button once leads to: Wheels can turn more turns that the ESP usually allows
ESC completely off: press the ESC button for 5 seconds leads to ESC+TCS off below 40 mph, at higher speeds it reactivates ESC and TCS (excluded the Limited Slip function) automatically to ESC partially off and when lowering speed again less than 35mph it disable ESC+TCS again totally.

Chris

Don't forget to air down your tires :)

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Don't forget to air down your tires

The manual states to NEVER air down your tires ...

Lower the air pressure to make your tires wider is usually not necessary,
except you drive on extremely soft sand/gravel.

The main backdraw is:
a) you need a compressor to go back to normal pressure when on hard ground
b) the tire can slip of the rim and you have no traction at all

The main thing to do is to engage 4WD LOW and if you have the diff lock

As i wrote, i never lowered the pressure on whatever surface as there was no need for.
Should i cross a desert without trails then i probably would lower the pressure.

Chris

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Chris

Id bet a lot of complaints on this 44-44 transfer case would go away quickly with a tap of that button. What do I know? I bet you will get a lot of sand throwing when you disable or completely disable it. I know why they left it on 4lock as you can still travel highway speeds and surprisingly that ESC system will save you in a hurry. On 4 low you cant get to highway speeds so you shouldnt really need it.

Please set a camera somewhere, disable ECS or even soft touch it. Then stomp it, Ill bet all 4 throw sand. It comes down to knowing how to use all the systems in place.

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I suspect you are right if TC is off and you are hard on the gas. The issue with moving slowly and starting and stopping is not resolved by TC being off as it happens in 4LO which disables TC Andy ESC.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca