Blow by

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevehazelwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 2500
Engine
6.7 diesel
I have a 2014 2500 ram 6.7 Cummins has 55000 mile and dealer said the leak I took it in for was blow by it seems a little early for blw by

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's seems way early for blow by.
You have any mods done?
Are the 6.7 turbos oil fed?
Maybe they will warranty it and u get a new motor? Or a new head?

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What are they saying is the cause of the blow by. If an injector failed and scored a cylinder , it should be covered under warranty, If you have an aftermarket intake setup and the turbo shows signs of being dusted, evidence of dirt in air intake system, you may be screwed

OP
OP
S

stevehazelwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 2500
Engine
6.7 diesel
It's seems way early for blow by.
You have any mods done?
Are the 6.7 turbos oil fed?
Maybe they will warranty it and u get a new motor? Or a new head?
They where not worryed about it said just blow by not sure on turbo and no mods

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Then why did they mention it? They may not be worried but I would be if i were you. Some blow by is normal, depends how much, maybe get a second opinion.
Very expensive motor, if there is a problem you definitely want to find out before you are out of warranty.

OP
OP
S

stevehazelwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 2500
Engine
6.7 diesel
Then why did they mention it? They may not be worried but I would be if i were you. Some blow by is normal, depends how much, maybe get a second opinion.
Very expensive motor, if there is a problem you definitely want to find out before you are out of warranty.
Yes I just talked to the dealer they said it is normal blow by and it's normal for them to do it but probably going to get a second opinion

MdMassey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are a lot of things that engines do that is "normal" but not good. The early GM LT1 engines used teflon valve stem guides that tended to wear out around 15K, lots of heads were replaced in the mid 90's for something that was "normal". In your case it appears that your crankcase ventilation is not adequate and that's causing the issue. Again this could be "normal" but not good. I don't know off hand what your engine uses for ventilation but I would look into it to make sure it's working properly.

Oh and all engines create blow by... there is nothing that you can do to prevent it unless you can make a piston ring without a gap, and totally seal the cylinder wall to ring area no matter what temp the engine is... the only option is to relieve the pressure in the crankcase and to help keep the oil from getting contaminated its good to get fresh air circulation as well.

OP
OP
S

stevehazelwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 2500
Engine
6.7 diesel
There are a lot of things that engines do that is "normal" but not good. The early GM LT1 engines used teflon valve stem guides that tended to wear out around 15K, lots of heads were replaced in the mid 90's for something that was "normal". In your case it appears that your crankcase ventilation is not adequate and that's causing the issue. Again this could be "normal" but not good. I don't know off hand what your engine uses for ventilation but I would look into it to make sure it's working properly.

Oh and all engines create blow by... there is nothing that you can do to prevent it unless you can make a piston ring without a gap, and totally seal the cylinder wall to ring area no matter what temp the engine is... the only option is to relieve the pressure in the crankcase and to help keep the oil from getting contaminated its good to get fresh air circulation as well.
Ok I'll check out the ventilation thank you