Dealer Agreed to Replace Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdavis501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 1500 Longhorn crew cab 4x4, 8 speed. It has a 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT engine. After just 16K miles, began to have numerous "rough" shifting issues and after the 4th repair the dealership agreed to request (and it was approved) for Chrysler to replace the transmission.

My truck has a 3.92 rear axle ratio. Is there any chance they can order and replace the transmission and somehow change/modify the rear axle ratio? I am concerned if there is a way for them to mess it up, they will and I really like the pickup I get with the 3.92 and don't want that ratio changed -- or, as I understand it, there is no relationship between replacing the transmission and the rear axle ratio.

LifeSTRONG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So wait what are you exactly asking cause u say u like the 3.92... So what is the deal then?

OP
OP
M

mdavis501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The dealer has agreed to replace the transmission. Is it possible for them to install the "wrong" transmission and thus change my 3.92 rear axle ratio?

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
The dealer has agreed to replace the transmission. Is it possible for them to install the "wrong" transmission and thus change my 3.92 rear axle ratio?
The transmission has nothing to do with differential gearing. If they for some odd reason decide they're going to flaw your truck it'll be something other than a gear change as its pretty extensive. You don't have anything to worry about on your gearing.

Sent From 1 of Many Samsung Devices

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Transmission is under your feet--differential is in between the rear wheels. One change does not affect the other

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
@mdavis501-what you're asking is if the final drive ratio will be affected by a transmission change.

In order to alter the final drive ratio, either the last gear in the transmission would have to changed, tire size altered or the differentials swapped. Neither differentials nor tires would be swapped and the transmissions are built to specific parameters. IDK what eighth gear ratio is..gonna guess somewhere in .70-.78 range. There would have to be a non-standard gearset that would drop eighth numerically lower (say, .65) installed, and a custom build isn't happening. You'll get back exactly what you had.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

So, kind of like and organ harvesting thing while your truck is "under the knife?" :)

As the others have said.... nothing to worry about.