Emergency Help Trad In

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tsbot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Emergency Help Trade In

First post but I'd love your opinions.

I have a 2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 8000 miles
I'm averaging about 16 mpg.

I'm thinking of trading in for same ecodiesel.

I owe 35k, they offered 32,500 for trade in. I'd buy the 3D out the door for 44000 including the negative equity in mine. However that doesn't included line x , level kit or extended warranty that I have now and won't get for awhile.

Is this worth the extra cash to save MPG? The trim levels are the same minus remote start and full center console - not big deals to me.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Depends on how far you drive, if you drive a million miles a year, then yes go for it. if not, DON'T DO IT. The price of gas is falling if you haven't noticed.

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
No. I went down the negative equity rabbit hole. It may only sound like a couple grand now, but, add interest and all that, and suddenly should you want to replace the truck, you are WAY upside down. Any savings you will have in fuel, will be spent on a higher payment.

OP
OP
T

Tsbot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oops forgot that.

I drive about 17000 a year 60/40 hwy/city.
All else being equal (financing terms, trim level).

OP
OP
T

Tsbot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My calculations said I'd save about $120 month in fuel, but the payment would be $50 more so overall I'd save $70 a month.

That being said I'd pay say $7000 more for 3D so saving $70 month it would take 8.3 years to recoup the cost. Does this sound right?

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My calculations said I'd save about $120 month in fuel, but the payment would be $50 more so overall I'd save $70 a month.

That being said I'd pay say $7000 more for 3D so saving $70 month it would take 8.3 years to recoup the cost. Does this sound right?

Yep.

At todays oil prices, there isn't enough $$$ involved in fuel savings to get a return on your investment for several YEARS,,,

And if you traded before then,, even further behind the 8 ball,,,

Justification of an EcoD for an owner who drives a moderate amount of miles and doesn't tow on a regular basis just isn't there...

If you want to save on fuel costs w/o the fat EcoD price tag,,, Consider a Pentastar,,, If you are just using your truck for general transpo, / occasional light-med hauling, it will be close in MPG to the EcoD for less $$$ up front than a Hemi,,, I believe a Laramie is the top trim level with the Pentastar option.

Last edited:

APFSDS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've done the negative equity thing on two cars and regretted it both times. Never again.

OP
OP
T

Tsbot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the replies. It's what I thought, but love the thought of fuel savings, but price justification isn't there.

I don't own a trailer (yet, for camping). Other than that it's a daily driver household worker truck; we own a little property in the hills.

Now onto the pentastar v6. Would that pencil out? I heard the v6 gas fuel mileage is almost equal to the vvt v8 mds 8 speed. Especially driving the mountains of Oregon. True?

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hard to say. In your case , all we know is: I'm average about 16 mpg.

IMHO, sit tight with what you have as it's virtually impossible to spend your way to savings

OP
OP
T

Tsbot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, all things equal I prob would do it for a 5 year break even, but I do love the Hemi and don't tow at this point. I'm not sure why I'm so hell bent on the 3D.

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hi have a v6 regular cab and I am getting around what the hemi does. I would rather have the v8, but this is the truck that had the deals and got me out of said inequity I mentioned earlier.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Seriously dude, you got no business doing the trade. IF you cannot cover the $2500 difference in negative equity and are not putting anything down on the newer truck, you are already in hole big time.

You bought a truck and with that comes all the good and bad. With the bad, MPG's are not stellar most times compared to a passenger vehicle. If you are obsessed with high MPG, sell the truck and get a Prius. Otherwise, enjoy the truck and find savings elsewhere in your life to pay for the gas. If you cannot, then you were over extended getting into a truck in the first place.

OP
OP
T

Tsbot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks. I can afford covering and putting down cash, but money out is money out. I'm just trying to compare current vs 3D for my numbers. I like the idea of higher MPG, deal breaker no - hence the Hemi I have. But if I can pocket cash in the long run, then why not, but in my case with how the 2015's are out there with year end deals my long run is a pretty long run. 3 year break even is a no brainier because everything after is just savings, 5 year I'd have to think about it, and 7 years is pretty far out and not worth it like most have stated here.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
why do you call the ecodiesel 3D? shouldnt it be ED?

i was on the same boat, after crunching #'s i had to drive 125k on the ecodiesel just to break even on the initial premium cost for the motor.

i dont plan on owning any dodge product for over 100k, but that is just me.

Kidder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, eTorque
why do you call the ecodiesel 3D? shouldnt it be ED?

i was on the same boat, after crunching #'s i had to drive 125k on the ecodiesel just to break even on the initial premium cost for the motor.

i dont plan on owning any dodge product for over 100k, but that is just me.
3.0Diesel=3D

That is one of a number of ways it is referred to over on the Ram Ecodiesel forum.

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First post but I'd love your opinions.

I have a 2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 8000 miles
I'm averaging about 16 mpg.

I'm thinking of trading in for same ecodiesel.

I owe 35k, they offered 32,500 for trade in. I'd buy the 3D out the door for 44000 including the negative equity in mine. However that doesn't included line x , level kit or extended warranty that I have now and won't get for awhile.

Is this worth the extra cash to save MPG? The trim levels are the same minus remote start and full center console - not big deals to me.

They offered you 32.5K trade in? Just do it. :roflsquared:

Also diesel FTW, those engines are ****** fantastic.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That is a losing deal. I had a Cummins before, and one thing your not taking in consideration, is that there is allot of times diesel is around a dollar more a gallon than gas. It wasn't that long ago and it is always higher in winter time.

OP
OP
T

Tsbot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys - I'm gonna stick with the Hemi and love it! Gonna put some 4" or 6" Rigid lights where the tow books would go next week!

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi

theres one problem with your math. its reflecting that you would keep the truck for a very long time. you arent considering the higher resale of the eco diesel vs the hemi. your break even point would most likely be much less then that. your paying more for a truck up front that is going to be worth more in the used market.

is trading in the truck still a good idea for the OP...probably not. but i cant see trading in a vehicle that you've only owned for a few months a good idea for anybody.