Looking to buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello everyone I've been a lurker for some time now. Had a 03 ram and had a few threads on that a couple or few years ago.

Anyhow, got a new job with double the hourly rate I had sooo... time to go truck shopping somewhat soon!!!

I'm pretty sure I want a ram. I test drove a 13 big horn edition. Love the truck. But mainly my question is what year? I know all the fourth gens look about the same..

Is there a specific year range I should look at? I probably won't be able to afford new. I'm thinking of around $30k give or take.

Also, what should I look for ? Just want to hear your guys opinion on these trucks. Whether it be stuff you like, don't like, issues, anything really!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Should be able to get a lightly used Big Horn 2013-2015 for under 30k. If you want a Big Horn I'd recommend one with the 3.92 gears, LSD, and optioned with the Nav equipped 8.4" Uconnect system. If you're planning on towing the towing package with tow mirrors and a trailer brake controller is a must as well.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Get a 14 or newer, 8-speed - 100,000 mile sparkplugs - better gas mileage if you want a Hemi 1500.

OP
OP
Tolson93

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys. Yeah definitely want the ability to tow. I had nothing but one wheel wonders for trucks so far so that LSD will be a need. I hate having to switch into 4x4 to get going on a slight hill in winter.

So 14 and up is when the 8 speed came out? It helps mileage? I mean a lot more than say previous years? I wanna go as new as I can so I'm hoping a 12 or newer. Depends on what I find for my budget.

In anyone's experience crew cab vs the smaller four door option. I think I have that right. Lol. Is the bigger 4 door that much bigger? Might be more personal preference at that point I'm thinking.

RedFalcon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The crew cab is the bigger one and can seat adults comfortably in the back as far as leg room and such. The quad cab is the smaller one and personally starts to feel cramped for teenagers and bigger

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I have a QC, Its just me and the wife so the CC did not interest me any and I really just use the extra room for storage. If you are going to haul people really look to the CC.

You want a 8sp no question its a very good transmission to say the least.
If you tow any look for thr 3:92 gears for sure, if you just tow every now and then the 3:21s will work just fine.
I have the 8sp and 3:21s and my truck tows just fine and runs out very well.

OP
OP
Tolson93

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome. Helps me out. Now the one I test drove wasn't completely warmed up.. on acceleration it made a weird humming type noise from the engine area was loud in the cab. Salesman told me it's normal with these hemi trucks. I thought he is giving me a load of crap. I have a hard time dealing with dealerships. But buying private is risky also...

OP
OP
Tolson93

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is what I would love. this site is all legit? Never bought a vehicle off the web. Always in person

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If you have any thoughts of towing more than a few thousand pounds look for the 3.92 gears. Also, look at door stickers for payload max of a given truck. This forum is full of people who just bought a truck and get slapped in the face with the reality of the numbers. You're in a position many such posters can only dream of..... that being that you haven't bought a truck yet. Take a minute and think of ANYTHING you might want to tow while you own and plan/buy accordingly.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Car max is a dealership-

Here is a dealership for you.
New 2017 Ram 1500 Express For Sale in Caldwell Near Boise, Nampa, ID | Vin:3C6RR7KT7HG574235

33k truck-

Now you need to weigh your options - Find out what your apr on the used and on a new will be.
The apr alone between that 29k truck and the 33 k truck may be big enough that you actually save money buy buying new. Apr on used vehicles can vary a lot . Not sure where you are located but Dennis Dillion is a good dealership. Like all these guys said- hemi- 8 speed-3:92 with lsd- those three are a must have I m o
Also what he said about towing -
The 3/4ton gas trucks are really close in price to the 1/2 tons

OP
OP
Tolson93

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm up in northern MN. But yeah I know for sure the 3.92 gear ratio, 8 speed from you guys and some reading I'm doing.

My girlfriend has a 2011 f250 6.7 powerstroke. Her dad a 03 Dodge Ram 2500 hemi.

I'd be covered for the heavier towing. Trust me I'm 23 , I want a big old loud diesel but seeing how much it costs to own one and do maintenance or fix it. I think I'll be just as happy with a newer ram 1500.

Most I'd tow is the snowmobiles , or random things .. no need for a 3/4 ton. Trying to talk myself out of a big truck. Plus this truck would be daily driver.

We have two salesman in the area the family trusts so I'll probably talk to them first. I just have had bad run ins with them. Never seem to know 100% of what they are talking about or are pushy I'm sure you guys know of all that. But buying a truck that's only a couple years old with lower mileage, shouldn't be as bad as a 10+ year old truck with over 150,000 miles.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The 8 speed trans came out in 2013 on the ram. 100000 mile sparkplugs also came out in 2013.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
We have two salesman in the area the family trusts so I'll probably talk to them first. I just have had bad run ins with them.

Unless a car salesman is immediate family you are no different than anyone else to them. And if you are immediate family 9/10 of them would screw you anyway.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
My 2013 has the 8 speed trans but the owners manual specifies to change the plugs every 30k/3 years.

OP
OP
Tolson93

Tolson93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep. Luckily I have dealt with them enough and have enough vehicle knowledge from working on them at home. That I shouldn't be swindled. Too bad at least hahaha.

Now with financing would it be best to just go through wherever I get the better apr ??

SilverRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Yep. Luckily I have dealt with them enough and have enough vehicle knowledge from working on them at home. That I shouldn't be swindled. Too bad at least hahaha.

Now with financing would it be best to just go through wherever I get the better apr ??

For used car buying, a really good way to go is to get a pre-approved used car loan through a credit union. When you walk into the dealership, you know your budget and your payments are already set (more or less, some credit unions wont give you an exact APR without a VIN). This means you can negotiate a cash price and avoid all the "what do you want your payments to be?" questions. You can say "this is what I will pay" and walk out the door if they don't take your offer.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How far north in MN are you? come to the cities there are may dealers down here that will sell a good deal. 32-35k for a new big horn crew cab.