Name a DIY situation you did to your Ram that went horribly wrong

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mbrp.Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi. Mbrp catback, k&n cai
You'll love this

Just recently I attempted to install my hell bent steel 2.5" leveling kit in my garage, after much struggle it was installed. Begin backing out... Guess what!? I can't fit out of my garage door. So I air out the front tires. Back out, made the slightest turn on the wheel. Both tires debeaded. To add insult to injury, guess who pulls into the driveway as I'm frantically trying to get my tires back on wheels and aired up? The ol lady, "HA, sucks to suck!"

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
Just recently I attempted to install my hell bent steel 2.5" leveling kit in my garage, after much struggle it was installed. Begin backing out... Guess what!? I can't fit out of my garage door. So I air out the front tires. Back out, made the slightest turn on the wheel. Both tires debeaded. To add insult to injury, guess who pulls into the driveway as I'm frantically trying to get my tires back on wheels and aired up? The ol lady, "HA, sucks to suck!"

that literally had me laughing out loud. It's bad enough when you brain fart, but when the old lady sees it play out in all its glory, well, that is the capper. And you know, they never forget anything.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Lol, that's a good one!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Today I almost threw a torque wrench through my windshield and took a sledge hammer to a complete hub assembly. Talk about pissssed

Not a ram.. But Ive spent the past two days doing a complete rebuild of my front yota axles. Already pissed and have a lot of money in this project.. In the home stretch, sun blazing on me, sweating to death.. Get all the way to the very last wheel stud.. I fking break it.

Are you fkin serious. Now I have to put it off another day because auto part store NEVER have anything I need in stock, ever... Why??

(This was the short story, it's actually 10xs worse than it sounds)

Anyways, was refreshing to catch up reading in this thread. Thanks.

250f97c52d48d88ca0fdb94314997d86.jpg

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not really horribly wrong , but last year I installed the OEM backup camera kit , I did everything correct , but I didn't have the Active gridlines on the RA2 Radio screen while in reverse , I triple checked everything , rang every wire , unsoldered and resoldered the BCM wire probably had 5 times the amount of time it took to install this simple kit just in troubleshooting the Gridlines , a member here Mpgrimm2 mentioned right away it may just be the software required an update ... I dismissed that and kept troubleshooting like a ******* Well turns out it was a software update that fixed it LOL
On the upside I now pretty much know the BU Cam install step by step

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Painted my engine cover, while it looks half decent in this picture, I scrapped off the paint in two spots re-installing it :hidesbehindsofa:

Need to touch up and put on the Hemi stickers to complete the job

Attachments

• 200.jpg
    200.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 53

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Today I almost threw a torque wrench through my windshield and took a sledge hammer to a complete hub assembly. Talk about pissssed

Not a ram.. But Ive spent the past two days doing a complete rebuild of my front yota axles. Already pissed and have a lot of money in this project.. In the home stretch, sun blazing on me, sweating to death.. Get all the way to the very last wheel stud.. I fking break it.

Are you fkin serious. Now I have to put it off another day because auto part store NEVER have anything I need in stock, ever... Why??

(This was the short story, it's actually 10xs worse than it sounds)

Anyways, was refreshing to catch up reading in this thread. Thanks.

250f97c52d48d88ca0fdb94314997d86.jpg
****** man! It always happens when you're almost done too!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Road King

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Yeah that 'last bolt' BS sucks! Happened to me a few years ago while installing new apes on my Harley. Seriously, the LAST bolt was the clutch cable bolt in the clutch housing. I am a fanatic about torque values, so looked it up in my manual... 36-60 ft-lbs...

Well, the clutch cable runs through the middle of the bolt so I couldn't really use my torque wrench, but I know what 40 ft/lbs feels like, so I figured I'll just bear down on it and aim for about 40....

Start tightening it up slow.... give it a few easy spins and it starts gets tighter.... I'll give it one more crank but it still feels pretty loose... that's not 40 lbs yet... could probably use just a little more.... give it one more LAST spin... and... that... should... just... about... do... it... SNAP!!!

No way was that 40 ft/lbs! What the hell? Go back to the manual...

36-60 INCH-pounds!!!???

Had to replace a whole brand new cable.

Last edited:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI

MY FAVORITE LOL!!!!! :roflsquared:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
not near as bad as some of these but still pissed me off. the day I was taking my truck in to get a big dent fixed I was washing it. i stood in the bed to wash it out as well and accidentally ran the hose along the bed side when pulling on it the hose was covered in sand. scratched it down to primer.

luckily it was just above the dent and it got repainted with the dent fix. WAHOO :roflsquared:

ptesmoke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah that 'last bolt' BS sucks! Happened to me a few years ago while installing new apes on my Harley. Seriously, the LAST bolt was the clutch cable bolt in the clutch housing. I am a fanatic about torque values, so looked it up in my manual... 36-60 ft-lbs...

Well, the clutch cable runs through the middle of the bolt so I couldn't really use my torque wrench, but I know what 40 ft/lbs feels like, so I figured I'll just bear down on it and aim for about 40....

Start tightening it up slow.... give it a few easy spins and it starts gets tighter.... I'll give it one more crank but it still feels pretty loose... that's not 40 lbs yet... could probably use just a little more.... give it one more LAST spin... and... that... should... just... about... do... it... SNAP!!!

36-60 INCH-pounds!!!???

lol I was gonna say 36-60 ft/lbs is a pretty large swing lol, I had a neighbour who spent years re-torquing his hidden hitch,i got curious one day, come to find out he was torqueing to 80 inch lbs instead of 80 ft/lbs...and he thought the two were one in the same!

so...at least you know the difference!

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI

36-60 INCH-pounds!!!???

did the same exact thing when installing my 18" apps. I payed big bucks for my platinum series polished SS clutch cable (Barnett) for my suicide tank shifter. waited a week and a half for it. was all set for a 5 minute install when it got home. It even came with a little slip that says "DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN" well its very easy to over tighten an aluminum bolt.. mine snapped to. had to mail it back and have them fix it. expensive lesson.

Platinum Series

Last edited:

Road King

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
... It even came with a little slip that says "DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN"...Platinum Series

HAHAHA!!! You know what? I bought Burly cables, but they had same little tag too... of course that was the first thing I ripped off when un-packing the bundle of cables... I remember it laying there mocking me after I snapped my bolt...

Trykonkid11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess I'll add my mishap. I was installing my lift in my old 2011 ram and used the fender to brace myself to push down the lower control arm to install the strut. Well. I managed to crease the fender and the paint chipped right off. Had to then buy fender flares to cover it up. Bought a 2014 ram and waited for my buddy to come over for the install on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well at least it was an easy decision to spend money on the flares

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im glad I'm not the only one who ***** up.

I ordered a new 87mm throttle body and was going to install it real quick before work on day. I had everything unbolted but the wire connectors were stuck together. After a few minutes of trying to carefully pry it apart, I gotta a little pissed and yanked it. Well they separated but there was the remaining plastic stuck inside the connector like this one

so I ended up having to call my aunt to take me to work and then after work I tried to get the bits of plastic out but I couldn't so I had to buy a 90 dollar new wiring harness that had like 10 different wires and I'm not about to **** up my truck more. So I had it towed to a shop and they did it for me.
So a quick 10 minute job cost me
the throttle body
a 90 dollar harness
a 150 dollar tow
and 100 shop labor :doh2:

Attachments

• '07 throttle body connector.jpg
    '07 throttle body connector.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 98

chrisc60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great thread! Oh the lessons I have learned...

But most recently an embarrassment more than a disaster:

First time I swapped out my front/rear fuel filters (dealer wants like $300 to do it... I buy filters for about $100), I managed to spill diesel fuel friggin' everywhere... through a combination of assuming the 'drains' would expel all fuel, and buggering up the seal on the front filter.

So this last time, I got smart, and knew what I was getting into, so was well prepared and didn't spill a drop. I was so proud of myself! (Oh how pride goes before the fall...) Got all done, and did the start/stop procedure to prime the filters as recommended, but the dang truck just wouldn't start. Kept cranking and cranking and cranking... Nothing! It was only after a solid 2-3 minutes of cranking that I got out of the truck and noticed the river of diesel fuel flowing down my driveway...

I forgot to close the front filter drain. :banghead:

Good news is, I haven't had to use Round-Up to kill the weeds in the concrete joints since then...
That's classic

sent from that thing I carry around

chrisc60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
this story reminded me of an incident that happened to a Mopar buddy of mine and his 67 B'cuda SB V8. I had told him that I increased the oil pressure on my 340, by putting in a Direct Connection high pressure oil pump relief spring. He ordered the Hemi relief spring by mistake. I don't know how he fit it in there, it must have been near coil bind. Anyway, he started it up and he said the 100# oil pressure gauge needle took one full lap around and was near the second full lap, when the filter exploded and there was 5 qts of new oil over everything in his engine compartment, the floor, and much of his garage . It still gives me a chuckle to this day.
I love this[emoji12]

sent from that thing I carry around