New Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Thanks

Thanks rww, jason, clever & yillbs.

Jason..thanks for the wonderful tip. Rww, am not sure about v6 ecodiesel...someone here mentioned that this may give some maintenance issue (v6 eco=diesel engine).

I drove a Nissan and a Toyota before and all you have to do is put gas and this keeps running.

1. How about the overall maintenance in 1500 (v6 &v8) guys? Is RAM 1500 same or will it have issues every month, electrical problem, then brakes etc.Do you get routine issues?
I drove a ford Taurus before few years and will never ever think of buying it.
2. What transmission is good in RAM 1500?
3. What gas mileage are you getting per liter or gallon?
4. What is your oil change cost every time you take to the dealer?

Give me some points which should I look when I for for a used truck..eg Transmission, axle ratio etc...so I wont be a dumba... when I talk to the dealer

Thanks a lot guys,
Omnisap

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Depends what age of truck you are looking for.

My opinion, stick with the hemi regardless. It has been around a lot longer than the pentastar and has proven to be a high mileage engine. If youre looking 2013 and newer, i also recommend the 8spd as its better on gas and is also considered to be a very durable trans. All pentastars in recent years will have an 8spd if you choose to go that route. 3.21 gears will be most common so mostly you will not have to worry about that but i dont thing mpg between the three optional ratios is a whole lot different. With used trucks compare what kind of options you can get for the amount of money you want to spend. That will give you a bit of leverage on dealerships. "X dealer has a truck with x,y,z options for only x amount more" kind of thing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
Remember also in the long run, maintenance on the 6 is a lot cheaper. Everything for the hemi is x 2 or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RWW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Minivan Motor
Thanks rww, jason, clever & yillbs.

Jason..thanks for the wonderful tip. Rww, am not sure about v6 ecodiesel...someone here mentioned that this may give some maintenance issue (v6 eco=diesel engine).

I drove a Nissan and a Toyota before and all you have to do is put gas and this keeps running.

1. How about the overall maintenance in 1500 (v6 &v8) guys? Is RAM 1500 same or will it have issues every month, electrical problem, then brakes etc.Do you get routine issues?
I drove a ford Taurus before few years and will never ever think of buying it.
2. What transmission is good in RAM 1500?
3. What gas mileage are you getting per liter or gallon?
4. What is your oil change cost every time you take to the dealer?

Give me some points which should I look when I for for a used truck..eg Transmission, axle ratio etc...so I wont be a dumba... when I talk to the dealer

Thanks a lot guys,
Omnisap

I was talking about the 3.6 Pentastar V6. With the 8 speed it's a very good combo.

OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Thanks.

From what i understand 8 speed is good for gas mileage. Great. Now many people are saying v8 is better than v6 generally, even if am not towing. Is that a right statement?

OS

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks.

From what i understand 8 speed is good for gas mileage. Great. Now many people are saying v8 is better than v6 generally, even if am not towing. Is that a right statement?

OS

Depends. If you are doing a lot of highway driving, the hemi shuts down to 4 cyl at constant speeds so it saves gas mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been driving Dodge/Ran trucks since the 70's and I will say, go for a truck that has the 5.7 Hemi, four wheel drive, 3:91 gears, and a limited-slip differential. This way you will have plenty of power, and great traction on the wet roads, and snow. And if you a cool looking truck, look at the Sport.

Razorbackfan

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have two vehicles (van and wrangler) with the 3.6 and it's been great in both. Definitely test drive both and see which one appeals to you.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just traded my 2015 with Pentastar v6 and bought a 2017 with the Hemi. V6 wasn't available in my trim & configuration. I love the Hemi but the Pentastar is a great engine with plenty of zip and good on fuel.

OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
2014 ram 1500 sport

Guys,

I am planning to buy a 2014 Ram sport edition i saw on kijjiji. It has a v8 hemi engine with axle ratio 3.91 with 102k kilometers. I talked to the guy and he mentioned that major maintenance is done by Dodge but he did the regular oil changes to save money. We both agreed to take the vehicle for an inspection and then decide to buy.

1.Is there any specific thing i should look for?
2.Would dodge do the inspection for the buyer and tell me what needs to be done etc (or) a private mechanic is much better?
3. He also mentioned the gas mileage is 13/100kms in city and 10/100 kms in highway. I am hesitant to believe that with a v8 engine. Do you guys get the same mileage?
4. If there is any other inspection which should be done before deciding to buy?

I dont want to buy a truck and then endup paying much more $$$'s in fixing, which the previous owner did not tell me.

Please let me know.
Luis

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Nothing jumps out to check. Did the owner change the plugs ? In the states could be a 300 dollar job. Was the trans serviced? I have heard that is around a 1500 job. There is discussion on what lifetime fill means. Front and rear differential, transfer case fluids should have been changed. Radiator flush should have been done also at 100000 miles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007