New Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Guys,

I am new to the truck world. I am loving this truck , but unsure of which one to buy. My need is just to enjoy the truck asi was driving cars for 20 years. When i started looking into trucks,i liked Tundra, Ram 1500 and Titan. But finally planning to settle down with RAM 1500. But when i go the dealer there are thousands of RAM. Am not going to use the RAM to tow anything or rough drive...is mostly for family driving and driving in the mountains. Is it advisable to get a V6 engine or V8 engine. I was told by one guy that Hemi v8 isthe best and do not buy v6...any suggestions on this? can i buy v6? what are the pro's and con's?

Also while looking at a RAM truck in a used dealership, what all are the things i should check for? transmission, engine etc...

Please advice and have a safe holiday
OS

Clever

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was in your position last year at this time, I don't tow or do any rough driving. But I needed the utility of a truck so I ended up with a 2016 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 with the V8 Hemi in June of last year. I test drove both the V6 and the Hemi and the Hemi to me felt better, keep in mind it also has the 8speed transmission. Because I wasn't planning on towing anything big, I decided to go with the 3.21 rear axle. I bought mine new last year so the only advice I can give you is to make sure that you inspect every inch of the truck you are looking to buy, and make sure you are happy with it, and if you are not, there are a lot of inventory out there to choose from.

cdsbj6508

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I recommend you drive both the V6 and Hemi and weigh you pros and cons. I recently bought a 2017 Express Hemi 4x2 as I live in Florida and really do not need the 4x4. Either way you go, you're going to LOVE it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
If you drive in the mountains semi-regularly, or near them, and live in the northern half or so of the USA or at all in Canada, definitely get the 4x4. You can get by without it if you have to, but it is very handy to have.

As others said, test drive the V6 and V8, even the EcoDiesel (a little rarer) if you're in the used market. New EcoDiesels are currently held up by additional emissions testing still, I believe. The Hemi V8 is the most fun, but the V6 can do just fine if you don't plan on towing and don't want to pay the premium in gas, or don't care about, the fun. And the EcoDiesel can be almost as much fun, with the benefit of better MPG, if you don't mind the little extra maintenance that comes with diesel ownership (DEF fluid, oil changes are a little more costly, etc.).

3.21/3.55 gears and the 8 speed (dial shifter) make for great gas mileage for a truck, even with the Hemi. 3.92 gears and the 8 speed (dial shifter) make for a lot of fun with a quick truck, but at the cost of some highway MPG. Regardless of which gear ratio you pick, I'd highly recommend the newer 8-speed.

Long story short: you really can't go wrong. Pick the Ram thats best for you. As long as you are happy, thats all that matters.

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
Look at it this way. Better to buy the V-8 and not need it than to buy the V-6 and need the V-8 when you don't have it

OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Thank you

Thanks for all the wonderful tips. What is an axle ratio? One of the mechanic told me v6 is a failure and v8 hemi is the best.. he is saying dont even look at v6..is that true? I live in calgary and only usage for me is city driving and to enjoy a truck and 0 towing. I prefer regular gas not premium...Throw some lights as i have no idea any difference.

Thanks alot
Omnisap

OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Also what is the difference between 4x2 and a 4 x 4.Sorry for the basic questions.

OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
thanks

Oh yeah i need a 4 wheel drive in Calgary with the amount of snow we get. What is the axle ratio? i just needed basic one to drive around the city.

Speedy McD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Express Single Cab 2x4
Engine
Pentastar V6, 8 Speed
I just traded my V6 for a Hemi and do not regret it.
First, I have had many trucks overall and always come back to the Rams. My latest was a 2016 single cab V6. 3.55 gears and 8 speed. It was a good truck and had power in the city but on the highway is lacked power. It was always shifting between the 8 speed transmission. If you are looking for a family truck that stays in town, no long trips, haul some house stuff from Lowes, etc, then a V6 will suite your needs. You need to remember, the V6 has 305 hp which is equivalent to many V8's about 10 years ago.
The V8 is a completely different story. The extra weight of four doors and of course extra passengers needs more power. I can drive down the highway with limited gear changes. I have the extra power to pass if needed and is much easier to get on the highway. I choose the 3.21, 4x2 crew cab.
Milage difference: My V6 would get 19-21 in the city and about 25 on the highway. So far the V8 is about 17-19 in the city and around 22 on the highway. Not a big difference.

Hope this helps you out.

OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
Thanks speedy. Would you say a v6 with non hemi engine as a failure? why is my mechanic saying that?

OP
OP
O

omnisap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 Hemi
hey biggy, no trolling. Am serious about RAM, but dont know the basics and i dont want to be screwed by the used car dealers.. they bs alot and is scary

Clever

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hey biggy, no trolling. Am serious about RAM, but dont know the basics and i dont want to be screwed by the used car dealers.. they bs alot and is scary

Hey, I'm in Calgary too, like I said in my previous post, I was in the same boat as you this time last year. I also spoke to several dealers in Calgary, one tried to sell me a base model Ram 1500 for $49K, do your research, do not put a deposit down or sign anything unless you are sure that you have done your due diligence. I ended up buying from St. Albert, and the 3 hour drive was well worth it, no BS, straight up team that wanted to earn my business. If you want my contact's number and don't mind the drive, PM me and I can provide you with their info.

Anyways, if you are NOT going to be towing anything go with the 3.21 rear axle, and now that I know that you're in Calgary, I would recommend V8, 8 speed tranny. I drive to B.C. regularly, having the Hemi sure helps with the highway driving.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
4x2 is rear wheel drive only..

4x4 is when all 4 wheels spin

two wheels, 4x4 is when two wheels spin, 4x2 is when 1 wheel spins. Unless you have a locker / LSD then you get either 2WD or 1WD :)

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8

Yes, there are many that do B.S. a lot. That's one of the reasons why I drove four hours to pick up my current 2014.

The V6 engines when they first came out had some "teething" to do. I believe there were some major part failures at first, which happen sometimes with new engine designs. The 8-speed behind the Hemi and EcoDiesel, while not guaranteed 100% reliable, is a great transmission and are assembled/built by the German company ZF. ZF has used almost identical transmissions in many high-end European cars for a long time. The V6 has a ZF-licensed but Chrysler tweaked/built transmission, so it went through teething issues too when it was first released.

I wouldn't shun the V6s now-a-days. Just do a thorough test drive and make sure she runs well.

If you want the nitty gritty about axle gear ratios, this is a decent article here. In a dirty nutshell, without getting technical, the axle gear ratio determines RPM at a given speed. The quicker the RPMs go up, the more acceleration you will have or the better/more you can tow. These are numerically higher ratios, such as 3.92 (1500s) or 4.10 (2500/3500s). However, the more RPMs you have at cruising speeds, the more gas your vehicle uses (less MPG). This is why many trucks start off with lower numerical ratios, such as 3.21 (1500s) or 3.55 (1500s), or 3.42 (2500/3500s).

Hope that makes sense.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, there are many that do B.S. a lot. That's one of the reasons why I drove four hours to pick up my current 2014.

The V6 engines when they first came out had some "teething" to do. I believe there were some major part failures at first, which happen sometimes with new engine designs. The 8-speed behind the Hemi and EcoDiesel, while not guaranteed 100% reliable, is a great transmission and are assembled/built by the German company ZF. ZF has used almost identical transmissions in many high-end European cars for a long time. The V6 has a ZF-licensed but Chrysler tweaked/built transmission, so it went through teething issues too when it was first released.

I wouldn't shun the V6s now-a-days. Just do a thorough test drive and make sure she runs well.

If you want the nitty gritty about axle gear ratios, this is a decent article here. In a dirty nutshell, without getting technical, the axle gear ratio determines RPM at a given speed. The quicker the RPMs go up, the more acceleration you will have or the better/more you can tow. These are numerically higher ratios, such as 3.92 (1500s) or 4.10 (2500/3500s). However, the more RPMs you have at cruising speeds, the more gas your vehicle uses (less MPG). This is why many trucks start off with lower numerical ratios, such as 3.21 (1500s) or 3.55 (1500s), or 3.42 (2500/3500s).

Hope that makes sense.

From a non scientific gritty perspective. My wife's pentastar Durango mops the floor with my lifted hemi :(

RWW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Minivan Motor
My 2016 4x4 CC V6 does well as far as mileage and power. Too bad I have had numerous electrical issues with the truck. Drive a V6, perfect for your use.