programming garage door opener

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I have 2 garage doors, one with a Craftsman opener and the other with a new Genie opener. I have gone through the steps to program and both indicate they have been programmed, but the Genie will not open from the truck.

I followed the steps exactly for both openers and both indicate successful programming but the Genie just wont' work...

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
maybe the genie just doesn't work wit it? is the sears one working?

edit: just looked and genie is on the list of compatible devices.

OP
OP
B

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
maybe the genie just doesn't work wit it? is the sears one working?

edit: just looked and genie is on the list of compatible devices.

Sears one works just fine...and it's probably 20 years old. The genie just won't work for some reason.

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does the genie work ok with it's own remote? have you tried programming the genie using the button you know works for the Craftsman? Just in case works and one doesn't in the truck? I have no experience with genie brand, I have a liftmaster and have had Craftsman, both are made by the same company.

OP
OP
B

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Does the genie work ok with it's own remote? have you tried programming the genie using the button you know works for the Craftsman? Just in case works and one doesn't in the truck? I have no experience with genie brand, I have a liftmaster and have had Craftsman, both are made by the same company.

they each have separate remotes. I replaced one opener sinced we moved in.

There's 2 different ways to program them, one for standard opener and the other is for the rolling code kind. I'd say the Sears one is the old style but the Genie is more then likely the rolling code kind.

oh...I didn't realize there was a difference. I programmed them both the same. I'll go back and look at the manual again. Thanks!

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To program a rolling code compatible Homelink® system, please follow these steps.

1.Press and hold the two outside buttons on the Homelink® system until the LED starts to blink, release buttons.
2. Press and hold the desired Homelink® button and the transmit button on your rolling code transmitter at the same time until the Homelink® LED changes from a slow blink to a rapid blink. (Your Homelink® system is now programmed)
3.Locate the learn code button on your garage door opener. (These are located under the light cover or on the rear panel depending on model)
4.Press the learn code button on the garage door opener, a red LED will start to blink. (You will have 30 seconds to complete programming)
5.While the LED on the garage door opener is blinking, return to the vehicle and press the pre-programmed Homelink® button 4 times. (Or until the garage door operates).

You don't have to do step 1, as that just clears all the old codes out of the homelink.

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What Stimpy said, How i made my newer Genie work on both garage doors, #1 on left and #2 on right. took me a couple of tries but got it to work

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I got my genie to work too, they are a PIA with the rolling codes

bdcramer1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't use the Genie key chain remote to train the HomeLink. It won't work. You have to use remote that clips onto the sunvisor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk