Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 4th Gen : 2009 - Present > General Discussions

General Discussions

Question for V6 8-speed owners

This is a discussion on Question for V6 8-speed owners within the General Discussions forums, part of the 4th Gen : 2009 - Present category!
So we're looking at ordering a Hemi with the 8 speed and a bench seat. The concern is that if ...

Like Tree1Likes

Sponsored By: All Mopar Parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Ram Year: just shopping
Engine: perhaps
Default Question for V6 8-speed owners
So we're looking at ordering a Hemi with the 8 speed and a bench seat. The concern is that if we theoretically have our three year old with the child seat in the middle position and he works the dials and switches his feet, he could work the transmission knob.

So my question: When the vehicle is in motion, is the knob function locked out? Is there a setting to do so in the EVIC?

Also, what do you think of the manual gear selector on the steering wheel? I know some in the press didn't like it, but what's it like to live with?

(Note: this a "just in case we have to" question, and not something we'd be doing all the time.)

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Steven [TRIP/TRUP]

Ram Year: 2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine: 6.7L CTD
Is there a possibility of getting a crew cab, or even a quad cab? As this would completely solve your problem. Not sure about the original question as I don't own one. Just throwing that out there.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Trupiano View Post
Is there a possibility of getting a crew cab, or even a quad cab? As this would completely solve your problem. Not sure about the original question as I don't own one. Just throwing that out there.
We're getting a crew cab. But we need seating for 6, and putting the kids in the middle front and rear, while least safe, is most comfortable, and legal in most states.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2012
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Just my opinion - if you care at all about your kids, put them in the back. It is not only the safest, you can't shut off the front airbags and that is just dangerous.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2013
Engine: 5.7
I have to agree. To be honest, if you need seating for six then a truck is probably not teh best choice. For the price you could get a nice Durango. Not trying to put you off but it's not worth using safety as a compromise.
hunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Engine: Hemi 5.7
Durango, Suburban, minivan, etc...
Hemi Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Black Cloud View Post
Just my opinion - if you care at all about your kids, put them in the back. It is not only the safest, you can't shut off the front airbags and that is just dangerous.
It's your opinion.

You're aware that most vehicles have occupant classifying airbags that shut off automatically when there isn't an adult in the front seat, and have had them for years? Google it.

Besides, there aren't any airbags for the front center position.

Anyways, thanks for your (lack of) help.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2009
Engine: 5.4L
Since it's electronically controlled and these newer vehicles are hell bent on protecting themselves from the driver with all of the power and traction control systems, I could only assume that the transmission has the same type of protections built in with the shift knob. I can't imagine that the electronic systems would force the truck out of a forward drive gear while it's moving down the road...worst I could see is it forcing a downshift.
homeyclaus likes this.
endorphine44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

Originally Posted by endorphine44 View Post
Since it's electronically controlled and these newer vehicles are hell bent on protecting themselves from the driver with all of the power and traction control systems, I could only assume that the transmission has the same type of protections built in with the shift knob. I can't imagine that the electronic systems would force the truck out of a forward drive gear while it's moving down the road...worst I could see is it forcing a downshift.
That is my hope. Shift to neutral while in motion is sometimes necessary though (say on snow/ice), and that happening by accident could also have an undesirable outcome. Of course, column shifters aren't necessarily better in this regard, and I am sure kids, dogs and flying sandwiches have knocked those into neutral too.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Engine: 5.7
I would tend to think there has to be a safety of some sort so that while driving if you did hit the knob it wouldn't go into park.
2serious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013 8 speed controls, 8 speed clearance, 8 speed manual