Stuck in a pickle... Need advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have spent countless hours planning my build on my RCSB only to find out I have to get rid of it. Fortunately I didn't buy or modify anything yet. So on to my question. I found out my wife is pregnant, meaning I want/need a 4 door. I want the 5.7, 4 door, and 4wd. Oddly enough I found that with low miles but in a 2500. Now I by no means need a 2500 but considering it's $3-4k less than the 1500 with the same setup I thought... why not? So that is my question. Why would a 2500 be a bad choice? Not worried about gas mileage so we can cut that out now. Also it's got the 66rfe with 3.73s. Any input would be appreciated.

lmeavtitn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I would say that gas milage would be the biggest down side. They are more expansive to repair and work on, ride quality is worse and tires cost more. Also, in some states they cost more to license/tag as well. That's all that's coming to mind right now. I've always had 2500/3500 trucks and about 2 years ago I made the switch to a half ton truck and am not looking back...at least from a daily driving perspective. I still have an older "beater" 1 ton truck for hauling.

OP
OP
C

CRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good points. I do most of my own repairs however this truck is still under warranty. I figured as much on the ride quality. I'm going to test drive on Saturday so I will find out first hand. This will be my 5th pickup but first 3/4 ton.

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would still keep the reg cab. You dont "have" to have a 4 door if you just have 1 child. Thats a luxury that has just become the norm in the last decade or so. We have 1 child. I had a 4 door GMC when we had him & traded it for a reg cab R/T. I pulled the console out & installed a jumpseat in it for lil man. I found that the extra room a 4 door provides was unused by me 99.99% of the time due to me driving so much for work & we just use the wife's vehicle when we are all together. I disliked having a 4 door truck being by myself most of the time. When my boy is w/ us I just strap his seat in w/ the normal seat belt, the back tension belt & the bottom car seat tension belt. I purchased the car seat hoops that are in the 4 doors & mounted them to the jump seat to strap the bottom car seat tension belt to. We just made a 2000 mile & 1 week round trip from Baton Rouge, La to Chattanooga, Tn then to Gatlinburg, Tn then To Nashville, Tn then back home last month w/ no issues & no complaints about lack of room. I do have a bed cover though to store everything in the bed.

Yes a 4 door will always be safer than a reg cab there is no denying that but a reg cab can/does work if you have a small child. I'm partial to reg cabs though. Thats all my dad ever had was reg cab 1 ton flat bed trucks & we would all pile in the truck & pull our camper all over the US for vacations. That was then though w/ alot less strict car seat laws. But like I said all these big SUV's & 4 door trucks are a luxury that has just became the norm over the yrs. If you like your reg cab then I would keep it

Last edited:

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I would still keep the reg cab. You dont "have" to have a 4 door if you just have 1 child. Thats a luxury that has just become the norm in the last decade or so. We have 1 child. I had a 4 door GMC when we had him & traded it for a reg cab R/T. I pulled the console out & installed a jumpseat in it for lil man. I found that the extra room a 4 door provides was unused by me 99.99% of the time due to me driving so much for work & we just use the wife's vehicle when we are all together. I disliked having a 4 door truck being by myself most of the time. When my boy is w/ us I just strap his seat in w/ the normal seat belt, the back tension belt & the bottom car seat tension belt. I purchased the car seat hoops that are in the 4 doors & mounted them to the jump seat to strap the bottom car seat tension belt to. We just made a 2000 mile & 1 week round trip from Baton Rouge, La to Chattanooga, Tn then to Gatlinburg, Tn then To Nashville, Tn then back home last month w/ no issues & no complaints about lack of room. I do have a bed cover though to store everything in the bed.

Yes a 4 door will always be safer than a reg cab there is no denying that but a reg cab can/does work if you have a small child. I'm partial to reg cabs though. Thats all my dad ever had was reg cab 1 ton flat bed trucks & we would all pile in the truck & pull our camper all over the US for vacations. That was then though w/ alot less strict car seat laws. But like I said all these big SUV's & 4 door trucks are a luxury that has just became the norm over the yrs.

What he said!

Unless you got a nagging wife and your truck is an only vehicle, I do not see a need to give up your dream truck and settle for something else.

OP
OP
C

CRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Yes a 4 door will always be safer than a reg cab there is no denying that but a reg cab can/does work if you have a small child. I'm partial to reg cabs though. Thats all my dad ever had was reg cab 1 ton flat bed trucks & we would all pile in the truck & pull our camper all over the US for vacations. That was then though w/ alot less strict car seat laws. But like I said all these big SUV's & 4 door trucks are a luxury that has just became the norm over the yrs. If you like your reg cab then I would keep it

I am also partial to regular cabs... my last 4 trucks were all rcsb. One thing I forgot to mention is we have 3 large dogs that go on any trip with us lol. We are fine with her honda most of the time but a baby busts the limits. I'm in the Army so I drive 2500 miles twice a year for leave with the whole family lol.

XCELLR8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I say don't rush. You have ~9 months before the little one gets here. Maybe changing out her car would be cheaper. Also, those 2500s sit up in the air a little more than a 1500, could make getting the little one in and out of the car seat more difficult.

OP
OP
C

CRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the advice guys. I got a couple days to think about it before I go to check it out.

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am also partial to regular cabs... my last 4 trucks were all rcsb. One thing I forgot to mention is we have 3 large dogs that go on any trip with us lol. We are fine with her honda most of the time but a baby busts the limits. I'm in the Army so I drive 2500 miles twice a year for leave with the whole family lol.

Ohhh got ya, yea that puts a twist on things

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personally i Like 4 door trucks ive always like the extra cab space. in your case i recommend it because if it makes the wife happy then you wont have worries. I think every guy can attest to Happy wife Happy Life. especially if your going to have the truck for a while cause babies turn into BIG kids so the more room the better. im going to be looking at Crew and Mega Cabs soon because the Future wife and I are planning for children and neither of us are by no means small so we figure our kids will be just as big and we personally like leg and arm room when driving. especially long drives. but thats just me.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I say keep the rcsb but then again I am partial to these models never owning anything but. It also helps that after 26 years of marriage we have never produced any rug rats lol. Good luck with your dilemma.

OP
OP
C

CRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Again thanks for the input guys.

OP
OP
C

CRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I say keep the rcsb but then again I am partial to these models never owning anything but. It also helps that after 26 years of marriage we have never produced any rug rats lol. Good luck with your dilemma.

Yup I am definitely a RCSB guy too... until now lol.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
if the truck has everything you want and you dont care about the gas mileage, i say go for it. maintenance wise it should cost about the same. some prefer the ride of an HD truck compared to a 1500. only downfall i see is its going to be a bit slower, so as long as that doesnt bother you your good.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd say go for it.

If you don't mind the negatives that come along with it then you're good. You will like having the extra room....trust me. Strollers, diaper bags, toys, random ****, wife's ****, your ****, etc....

jacobsmudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 express 4x2 6at reg cab
Engine
5.7L Hemi
dont go family truckster! might as well get a station wagon when you go 4door. personally i think 4door pickups look dumb as hell.

yes yes, i know i am BY FAR in the minority on this. i havent even seen another reg cab ram around my neck of the woods. ever.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
^^^^ I agree, my R/T looks hot, hot hot especially with all of the lowering goodies that are installed. Some 4 doors look good but not great like my RAM ride.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Gas mileage would be my biggest concern. It's 45.00 a week to fill mine up. We have four kids so I would not want to even think about a 2500. It's bad enough with, you hemisphere 1500.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
dont go family truckster! might as well get a station wagon when you go 4door. personally i think 4door pickups look dumb as hell.

yes yes, i know i am BY FAR in the minority on this. i havent even seen another reg cab ram around my neck of the woods. ever.

Do you have kids? A single cab is not safe for a baby.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you got the dough, the 2500 is the way to go.

Then just drive into the ground.