Is there light at the end of the tunnel!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys. New to the forum and new to the Ram community. I'm a 29 year old Marine vet, single dad of twin 4 year old boys.

I recently purchased my new 14 Lone star. Loved the truck for the first week. 8 days in I had a transmission issue. I Kept loosing power and the gear shifts were brutal. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the transmission. 5 months in now I'm having issues at the gas pump. The nozzle keeps clicking off like I'm not getting a good seal. Tried filling up at several stations on different pumps. Already have a appointment to drop the truck off for repair. More than likely get a new tank.

Always been a Gmc owner and I understand all trucks will have problems at some point. But it's got less than 10k miles! Needless to say it bums me out.

I love it though, it's a Hemi! Hope to have no more major issues for some time.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Hey guys. New to the forum and new to the Ram community. I'm a 29 year old Marine vet, single dad of twin 4 year old boys.

I recently purchased my new 14 Lone star. Loved the truck for the first week. 8 days in I had a transmission issue. I Kept loosing power and the gear shifts were brutal. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the transmission. 5 months in now I'm having issues at the gas pump. The nozzle keeps clicking off like I'm not getting a good seal. Tried filling up at several stations on different pumps. Already have a appointment to drop the truck off for repair. More than likely get a new tank.

Always been a Gmc owner and I understand all trucks will have problems at some point. But it's got less than 10k miles! Needless to say it bums me out.

I love it though, it's a Hemi! Hope to have no more major issues for some time.

Welcome and thank you for your service. I hope there is light for you, I have a 14 express 10k on the clock and 0 mechanical problems. Did have paint issues but have sense been resolved.

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
My 2005 SLT had 700 miles on it when the transmission all of a sudden would not shift out of first gear. Took it in for service, and never had another problem with it. I now have a 2014 Express...zero issues and I love this truck. Hope it works out for You and this is the last of Your issues!

sentrek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have had that same problem at the pump with multiple vehicles, especially my genesis coupe, didn't matter what pump I used. I never took it in for service though, what worked for me was pulling the nozzle about halfway out, just far enough it would still hang there on its own but not pushed all the way in as far as it will go either. Problem solved.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the site, and congrats on the truck, things will get better and you will fully enjoy it without issues.:favorites13:

stew930

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same issue with filling my truck. Like Sentrek said I also have to pull the nozzle out a bit so it will continue to fill without stopping.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
:wave: Welcome!
I'm at 22K on my 2012. Not a single issue.

InspectGWS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 JEEP GC SRT8
Engine
6.4L HEMI

CONGRATULATIONS! On your twin 4 year old boys!!!

THAT is too cool! :waytogo:

And congrats on your new RAM...once your fill issue is resolved, you will not regret your RAM purchase.

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I doubt the gas pump thing is a problem with the truck. Just try what others have said and pull the nozzle out a little bit. I have to do that with my Jeep sometimes.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I doubt the gas pump thing is a problem with the truck. Just try what others have said and pull the nozzle out a little bit. I have to do that with my Jeep sometimes.

If it happens on multiple pumps at multiple stations it is the truck not the pumps. You shouldn't have to mess with it, just fill the tank. I had the same issue with my wife's grand cherokee for the first few fills but it's been fine ever since.

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The only problem the truck could have that would cause this is something wrong with the EVAP system, but that would throw a check engine light code.

Otherwise, it's most likely the pump nozzle being too close to the filler neck. When the fuel starts coming out, it's splashing back against the nozzle and tricking the pump into thinking the tank is full. That's what happens with my Jeep at some stations, so I just pull it out a little bit, and doesn't usually have a problem after that and not stop again until the tank is actually full.

Last edited:

ceagleso

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I'm not sure about the Rams but my Ford super duty work truck had that problem with the gas filling, it would pump for a few seconds and shut off. You would literally have to barely squeeze the handle and let it barely flow to get it to fill without kicking off. I did some research on that and I found some info online about the carbon collector on the tank vent would get dirty and not vent the tank so the tank would get pressurised and the nozzle would think the tank was already full. It was only a year old at the time but I did a lot of driving on dirt roads but Ford had a tec service buliton out on the issue and they took care of it.

swanny297

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The angle of the fill hose allows gas to splash back up in the pump - the pump disengages thinking the fuel has reached the end of the nozzle - like others have said pull the handle out slightly - I can make every pump at any station do it