4th Gen Ram 3"/5" drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is my first time posting on this forum so I apologize if this has already been in a previous thread. I own an '09 1500 crew cab. I am wanting to put a 3/5 drop on it. However, either I'm not looking hard enough or it doesn't exist, but I cannot find a 3/5 drop for it. Does anyone know of an existing 3/5 drop? Or can you somehow make a 2/4 drop lower to a 3/5?? I appreciate anyone's help.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can get a 2/4 drop kit and cut the coils to make it a 3/5.
There are a few on the board who have. I think they've even posted how much to cut (will vary by drop coil manufacturer)

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Like said, the only kits available right now are 2/4. Many guys have cut coils to achieve a 3/5 drop though, and these trucks look awesome at that ride height. Look up members UNBROKEN, and Tylerb. Both of these guys are running 3/5 drops, and the trucks look amazing.

OP
OP
BlueHemi

BlueHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you Hemi450hp. You both have been helpful. I will also look up UNBROKEN and Tylerb.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm chompin at the bit to slam my truck. I know I need to start conservative with a 2/4 drop. I am going to go with spindles for the front so when the time comes I can bag it all around and lay rocker! YEA!

OP
OP
BlueHemi

BlueHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought about bagging as well but that is so expensive. I figured I could suffice with a $500-$700 suspension drop... Lol.

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't have any recent pics, only my drop at 2/5. I'm at about 6-3/4"" in the rear now and it's too low without a notch so I'm hitting the bumpstops quite frequently. Learned it the hard way, whoops haha. I'll try to get a pic later today.

I thought I would like it better leveled out, but I actually prefer the 1" rake I had. I'm gonna a get new set of rear coils and only go down to 6" back there. Oh well, hind sight is 20/20. So learn from my mistake.

OP
OP
BlueHemi

BlueHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Tyler. I definitely won't be going that low. I think 3/5 would be my max unless I were to bag. But bagging is way too much for my budget. I would like to see pics of your truck though. Here's a question for you, or anyone else for that matter, I have been researching a lot of different drop kits online. Using BellTech and McGaughy's for example. Why do the Kits all come with different parts but are still labeled as 2/4 drops?? Some come with 4 springs, shock, etc. some only come with rear springs and spindle replacement. I am very stupidly confused... Lol. Don't know why one to go for. I definitely want a smooth ride so my guess would be to go with a kit that has springs and shocks rather than just spindles. But then again, I'm new at this. HELP!!

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I don't have any recent pics, only my drop at 2/5. I'm at about 6-3/4"" in the rear now and it's too low without a notch so I'm hitting the bumpstops quite frequently. Learned it the hard way, whoops haha. I'll try to get a pic later today.

I thought I would like it better leveled out, but I actually prefer the 1" rake I had. I'm gonna a get new set of rear coils and only go down to 6" back there. Oh well, hind sight is 20/20. So learn from my mistake.

so your going for a 2/6 next? let me know how that turns out im going to go lower but i dont want a notch and im willing to get smaller bump stops too

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks Tyler. I definitely won't be going that low. I think 3/5 would be my max unless I were to bag. But bagging is way too much for my budget. I would like to see pics of your truck though. Here's a question for you, or anyone else for that matter, I have been researching a lot of different drop kits online. Using BellTech and McGaughy's for example. Why do the Kits all come with different parts but are still labeled as 2/4 drops?? Some come with 4 springs, shock, etc. some only come with rear springs and spindle replacement. I am very stupidly confused... Lol. Don't know why one to go for. I definitely want a smooth ride so my guess would be to go with a kit that has springs and shocks rather than just spindles. But then again, I'm new at this. HELP!!
I had the McGaughy's kit with spindles on my 2002 Ram and I didn't like the ride at all! The McGaughy's spindles are cast iron so they add a lot of unsprung weight which actually negates the benefit of keeping the factory suspension travel in my opinion. The spindles also push the wheels out about 5/8" so it looks a little odd when comparing front and rear. So I would just stick to the coils front and rear.

If you plan to go more than 2/4 I recommend getting the Belltech kit since it comes the shocks since the factory shocks are not designed to go that low. The only downside to the Belltech kit is you don't get the track bar relocator that the McGaughy's kit comes with so you might wanna look into the Spohn adjustable trackbar to recenter the rear axle right to left. It's not mandatory to have, I rode without it re-centered for almost a year before my girl got it for me for Christmas. Plus, the adjustable trackbar and shipping is still cheaper than the 4 shocks.

so your going for a 2/6 next? let me know how that turns out im going to go lower but i dont want a notch and im willing to get smaller bump stops too
Sorry, I left out that I went down to 3" in the front when I went to 6" in the rear. Then I thought I could get away with another 3/4" in the rear to level it out.

I recommend 3/6 atleast for my truck. It could be different for your truck depending on tire height and your ride preferences though. So just try out 3/5 and fine tune it to your liking from there. I'm using 1-1/4" tall Belltech bumpstops(part#4922) in the front and 2" tall Belltech bumpstops(part#4923) in the rear.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BlueHemi

BlueHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Tyler! How did you go about trimming off a little of your springs? Torch??? Lol

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
Never cut a spring with a torch. Cut off wheel or chop saw only.

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nooooo! A torch should never be near a spring of any sort, it's a real quick way to **** it up.
The quickest and best way is to cut a coil is with a grinder with a cut-off wheel. It will make quicki work of the hardened steel and keep the heat down.

A half coil in the front equates to 1" of drop and a full coil in the rear equates to 1" of drop.

The way I find the exact middle of a coil is to use a fabric tape measure and measure the circumference of the coil (in millimeters because it is much easier for the math involved and more accurate) then divide that number into either quarters or half, then you can get real precise with your desired drop.

Last edited:

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is half a coil off the front (3" drop total) and 2-3/4 coils off the rear(6-3/4" drop total). Don't mind my mirrors though. They're in the process of being painted by Jeremy at Retro-Shop for a birthday present from my girl.

IMG_0487_zps71063a32.jpg

IMG_0488_zpsfaeba781.jpg

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Already ordered new rear Belltech coils. I hope they'll be here by next Friday.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Tyler, I love the stance. I actually think it looks perfect the way it sits.

OP
OP
BlueHemi

BlueHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your truck looks sick!! Thank you for the advice. I will more than likely be purchasing the 2/4 kit from BellTech on I get my tax money in. God only knows how long that will take.

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tyler, I love the stance. I actually think it looks perfect the way it sits.
The ride sucks though! And I miss the slight rake it had so it's going back up 3/4".
Your truck looks sick!! Thank you for the advice. I will more than likely be purchasing the 2/4 kit from BellTech on I get my tax money in. God only knows how long that will take.
Thanks! If you have any more questions don't be afraid to ask.

Last edited:

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Is there any room to throw a shorter bumpstop on there? Back when Slammed1 was doing drops, he gave me a simple piece of 3/4" thick rubber that I bolted to the frame to act as a bumpstop. You definately felt it if you hit a hard bump, but it kept me from hitting on every pothole in the road.