4th Gen Ram 3"/5" drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
I have a plan in mind to allow a standard c-notch in these things.
Right now the upper link bar won't let that happen. When I have a day to sort it out I'm gonna fab up some weld in brackets to lower the bottom bar 2" then I'm pretty sure the upper bar can be lowered in its existing bracket just by drilling a new bolt hole.
Once that's outta the way a standard notch should be a non issue.
I'll be under there next week working on some stuff...if I have time I'm gonna tinker with this idea.

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is there any room to throw a shorter bumpstop on there? Back when Slammed1 was doing drops, he gave me a simple piece of 3/4" thick rubber that I bolted to the frame to act as a bumpstop. You definately felt it if you hit a hard bump, but it kept me from hitting on every pothole in the road.
I've got 1-1/4" bumpstops back there now with 1/2" plate to act as a spacer to make them taller temporarily while I wait on the new coils. Without the plate my upper control arms would be smacking the frame. This way it prevents that and gives only a slight decrease in travel. The metal on metal smack was embarassing, this way it's a little more subdued. It brings back terrible memories of my 2002 with a 2/4.5 without a c-notch.
I have a plan in mind to allow a standard c-notch in these things.
Right now the upper link bar won't let that happen. When I have a day to sort it out I'm gonna fab up some weld in brackets to lower the bottom bar 2" the. I'm pretty sure the upper bar can be lowered in its existing bracket just by drilling a new bolt hole.
Once that's outta the way a standard notch should be a non issue.
I'm looking forward to what you come up with.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BlueHemi

BlueHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recommend 3/6 atleast for my truck. It could be different for your truck depending on tire height and your ride preferences though. So just try out 3/5 and fine tune it to your liking from there. I'm using 1-1/4" tall Belltech bumpstops(part#4922) in the front and 2" tall Belltech bumpstops(part#4923) in the rear.

Tylerb - if I decide to go with the Belltech 2/4(3/5) do you think it is necessary to buy the bump stops as well?

OP
OP
BlueHemi

BlueHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry, forgot to ask about something else. In regards to the track bar. I don't think I am going to buy the adjustable one, but is there a relocating kit made for the 4th Gen? I have read in other forums that McGaughy's has theirs but they will not sell it individually. Thoughts? Suggestions? As to where I can find one?

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The bumpstops were a necessity for me. At 2/4 I didn't have much suspension travel at all. If you go with Belltech then you only have to buy the 1.25" bumpstops(#4922) and then use the 2" bumpstops(#4923) supplied in the kit for the rear.

The only way to get the relocation bracket is to buy the McGaughy's kit. So you would have buy their kit and shorter shocks to get a good ride out of a 3/5 drop.

OP
OP
BlueHemi

BlueHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for your help man! I will look at the McGaughy's springs and possibly just buy the shocks from Belltech.

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've seen a 3/5 with the mcgaughys springs and it was actually the same height as my friends 2/4 with the belltech kit not sure by but I've heard that's usually what happens that the belltech goes a little lower for some reason

HEMI-PWRD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've seen a 3/5 with the mcgaughys springs and it was actually the same height as my friends 2/4 with the belltech kit not sure by but I've heard that's usually what happens that the belltech goes a little lower for some reason

Are you talking about the red single cab r/t from truckaholix?

When we did the drop on his, we did cut the springs with a grinder with a cut-off wheel. We did the same amount of cut off the spring as we did on my crew cab. All trucks sit different but if you are talking about the burgundy r/t... yes it has a nice stance for a 2/4 drop.

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Are you talking about the red single cab r/t from truckaholix?

When we did the drop on his, we did cut the springs with a grinder with a cut-off wheel. We did the same amount of cut off the spring as we did on my crew cab. All trucks sit different but if you are talking about the burgundy r/t... yes it has a nice stance for a 2/4 drop.

i was talking about a black express ive seen not the red r/t but yes i was talking about the maroon one that one sits at a really nice height for just being a 2/4

OP
OP
BlueHemi

BlueHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Below is a very awesome message I received from Belltech I regards to adding the proper bump stops and traction bar relocator. This makes me a happy man!

"Thank you for contacting Belltech Sport Trucks, all of our kits are now shipping with our newly designed panhard bar relocator bracket and have always come with our shorter bump stops for the rear. If you receive a kit without the panhard bracket please get in contact with me and I can send you one out under warranty.

Brent Estrada
Technical Advisor

KW Automotive, North America, Inc.
1075 North Avenue
******, CA 93657
1.559.875.0222 ext. 145
1.559.876.2259 Fax
Email; [email protected]
Web; KW automotive North America, Inc. /// Be successful with KW suspension - made for Winners!

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Below is a very awesome message I received from Belltech I regards to adding the proper bump stops and traction bar relocator. This makes me a happy man!

"Thank you for contacting Belltech Sport Trucks, all of our kits are now shipping with our newly designed panhard bar relocator bracket and have always come with our shorter bump stops for the rear. If you receive a kit without the panhard bracket please get in contact with me and I can send you one out under warranty.

Brent Estrada
Technical Advisor

KW Automotive, North America, Inc.
1075 North Avenue
******, CA 93657
1.559.875.0222 ext. 145
1.559.876.2259 Fax
Email; [email protected]
Web; KW automotive North America, Inc. /// Be successful with KW suspension - made for Winners!
Yes, they do include shorter bumpstops in their kit, but if you wanna go lower than 2/4 I highly recommend getting shorter bumpstops than what they include. Like I said, even with using the included bumpstops I had very little suspension travel at 2/4.
Did you c-notch for a 6" drop?

I didn't.

OP
OP
BlueHemi

BlueHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For anyone who has used the Belltech 963ND or SP kits... Do you guys favor one kit over the other? I know the SP is a more firm ride whereas the ND is softer. I personally am not looking for a rock hard ride(too many ****** puns here) but do still want good handling. Is the SP more "neck breaking" or is it pretty smooth while hitting like pot holes, speed bumps, un level roads!?? Any thoughts, opinions!???

Quicksilver337

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The SP is a much higher quality shock than the ND. It's worth the extra bucks...just my .02 cents

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
They're still both basic drop shocks...if you want it perfect go with adjustable shocks.

OP
OP
BlueHemi

BlueHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The SP is a much higher quality shock than the ND. It's worth the extra bucks...just my .02 cents

But what is the ride like? Is it suitable for my family(wife, 5 yr old, and newborn) to ride comfortably? Or is it pretty ridgid??