Info on bigger rims/lowering my truck...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Valth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So id like to put some bigger rims on my truck eventually, but also lower it some. I dont know a whole lot of the technical aspect of doing either of these things, so I could use some help from some of you informative fellas. So I have a 2012 lonestar 1500 it has the 20" rims already, idk the stock info on the rims(offset, spacing?, etc) so idk what would work with my truck as far as specs on a set of new rims without having to alter anything or add anything. I would like 22s or 24s, how much could I drop my truck if I were to put some on there without having to alter anything. I dont really know alot about lowering a vehicle so how hard is it, I work with alot of mechanically inclined people when im in the shop, tons of tools and know how in there. What all goes into lowering a truck I knoe there are kits but what else do you need to go on there so there it isnt dangerous(is it dangerous?) I hope I explained my situation well enough for some help. Thanks guys.

trev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From my experience, all that goes into lowering a 4th gen is new springs, or cutting your current springs. I'm running 22's with a 4/7 drop now though. You want anything more than 3 inches up front you have to start moving bump starts and gettin a camber kit for it. I was also told I would prefer new universal ball joints with that kinda drop.zamu6aju.jpg

OP
OP
Valth

Valth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
See I like how low your truck is. Where did you get the hardware to do that and is it hard to do? Lol this will sound like a newbie question but what does like 2/4 and 4/7 drop mean?

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2/4 would be 2" drop up front and 4" drop in the rear, the added drop in the rear corrects the factory rake that Ram builds into the truck.

OP
OP
Valth

Valth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh ok that makes sense now haha. So what some good products to check out as far as lowering my truck? Would lowering my truck as low as trevs work the same with 22's without having to alter anything under the wheel well since theyre a different year?

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hit up one of our forum vendors here names Matt, he owns Moe's Performance. He can get you squared away with a kit for yout truck. Dropping it can be done in your driveway on a weekend, just need to get an alignment done afterwards.

OP
OP
Valth

Valth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sweet, thanks guys. Also on the rims if I were to lower say 4/7 like mentioned above, what rims would be able to fit on it, as far as the offset and everything like that? THanks again.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Valth, I got your PM, but I am going to post this here so that everyone can read it.

All the drop kits available off the shelf right now are 2/4 kits. You can get these from McGaughys or Belltech. I prefer McGaughys myself because they come with a rear tracbar bracket to help center the wheels, and the Belltech does not. To get more than the standard 2/4 drop, you are going to have to start cutting coils. This can be tricky and time consuming...cut too much, and you are screwed...cut too little, and you have to take it all apart and do it over again.

If you start with the basic coil spring drop with front and rear coils, I would not go any lower than 3" in the front because you are going to have some serious alignment issues. If you know you want to go lower than 3", then it is best to buy the McGaughys deluxe drop kit which comes with spindles up front. You can then cut your stock coils and run them with the Mcgaughys spindles. This is going to help keep your alignment and ride quality in check.

The Mcgaughy's 2/4 kits come with shock extenders, so you can use your stock shocks. If you decide to go lower than 2/4, then you will also need to purchase new shorter drop shocks. Links to the kits I am referring to are below...

McGaughy's Economy 2/4 Drop Kit 09-12 Ram 1500 2WD Quad/Crew Cab
McGaughy's Deluxe 2/4 Drop Kit 09-12 Ram 1500 2WD

OP
OP
Valth

Valth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the response. Thats one thing I was trying to figure out if there would be any issues with dropping it. A 2/4 is pretty much just to get it level right? is there a noticeable difference other than it being level? If so I prolly wouldnt get any nerf bars for the truck...Im tall and still have a little issue getting in the truck and my wife is like 5' 4" so theres that haha. And there wouldnt be a big issue with installing bigger rims. I kinda just wanna fill that gap between the tire and the fender without dropping it to the ground or putting gigantic donks on it lol. Kinda like the truck in your banner, its a small spacing between the two, and it isnt touching the ground. Thanks.

Edit: Doing this doesnt void your warranty does it? As long as the aftermarket part doesnt cause a failure is what ive read about in some warranty act of 1975 it wont void it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Valth

Valth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also what about aftermarket shocks is that gonna be a big difference

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A 2/4 drop will make big difference in the overall appearance. Keeping the the tire size around 32-33 inches will fill the wheel wells perfectly with the 2/4 drop. Since you want to run a larger rim I suggest staying with the 2/4 so you can retain some sidewall height on your tires. Sidewall height plays a major role in overall ride quality.

A lot of people have the McGaughy's 2/4 with the factory shocks and really like the ride quality. I planned to go lower than a 2/4 before I even bought a drop kit. That's why I went with the Belltech 2/4 with the Street Performance shocks. They have a firmer feel than the factory shocks and I won't have to spend the extra $200 when I lower the truck more.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Valth- thanks for asking these questions so we can all learn.
Once we get our trailer set up this something I'd love to look into as well.

joeg45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
As far as big rims go yes they will fit i currently have 24x10 rims on my truck with a 2/4 drop my tires are 295/35/24 but i dont remember what my offset was sorry on that part ut i dont think i would lower it past that on 24 which is why i might drop back to either factory 20 or maybe 22 not to sure because i do want to go lower

OP
OP
Valth

Valth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea i was thinking maybe just go to 22s instead of 24s

trev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea i was thinking maybe just go to 22s instead of 24s

Sorry haven't been on here in a long time, if you run a 2/4 you can definitely fit 24's no problem, but any lower I wouldn't plan to do anything more than 22's. I have a pretty good amount of rub with my 22's and they like to hit the fenders on good bumps.

hnrypat21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Trev! we need pictures together were like twins, only opposite....

sorry for jacking your thread but everything they are saying is 100% true but just know that when you drop it you are going to need some time to settle, this picture is from the week i did my drop and my truck sits just about where trevs does so if you do decide to cut them give yourself an inch to settle. (Mcguaghys 2-4 kit BTW)
IMG_0653.jpg

Last edited:

trev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Trev! we need pictures together were like twins, only opposite....

sorry for jacking your thread but everything they are saying is 100% true but just know that when you drop it you are going to need some time to settle, this picture is from the week i did my drop and my truck sits just about where trevs does so if you do decide to cut them give yourself an inch to settle. (Mcguaghys 2-4 kit BTW)
IMG_0653.jpg

I'm always down for pics, once spring rolls around and I get a bit more done I'm havin a shoot to send pics to truckin magazine!

But on topic, that pic is literally less than an hour after we finished the drop, it settled maybe another half inch.

jcolvin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Valth,

Here are a few pics of mine with a 3/5 and 22's 305/45 tire

Attachments

• trk1.jpg
    trk1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 25,767
  • trk2.jpg
    trk2.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 12,988

BIGBLACKHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hate to thread jack but would 26's fit with a 2/4 or 2/3 drop?

buddyrow88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm currently runnin the beltech 2/4 drop with 305/40/22s only rubs when wheel is fully cocked. I personally want to cut an inch out of the coils in the back I prefer the bulldogged look. Also got the beltech nitro drop shocks. I feel like it handles a little better than stock. Before my kit I it the coils on my stock springs in the back just to level it and personally didnt feel a difference.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 5,660