Bilstein vs. Rancho on the beach.

Which is better on the beach a) Bilstein Adjustable, or b) Rancho Quicklifts

• BILSTEIN 5100 Series Ride Height Adjustable

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Rancho Quicklift Suspension Lift System

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would like to get some feedback regarding leveling my 2013 CC SB with 5,000 miles. I plan on taking my family and truck out on the great beaches we have on Long Island this summer.

What would be the best way to level my truck between (a)BILSTEIN 5100 Series Ride Height Adjustable, or (b) Rancho Quicklift Suspension Lift Systems?

Should I do all four corners to handle the ride on the beach better?

Tires will remain stock 33" for awhile.
Current stock rake is 2" (front 37" and rear 39")
The beach will be the only off-roading that I will be doing.

Would I have to replace the upper control arms with either set up? Seems there are ball joint issues going around with leveling 2013+ trucks. My build sheets states "April 2013".

Any input and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just go with the Bilsteins. They've got the racing heritage. Rancho doesn't race so they're guessing at their valving and dampening. Since you won't be saving money why not go with the better product.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
sorry I cant help you on shocks but those that have one or the other all love them, unfortunately not much info for comparisons on ride quality, as for upper control arm im afraid you'll likely need to change it, the only 13's ive read of being okay had build dates from 2012, zone offroad is your best bang for buck for those

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
sorry I cant help you on shocks but those that have one or the other all love them, unfortunately not much info for comparisons on ride quality, as for upper control arm im afraid you'll likely need to change it, the only 13's ive read of being okay had build dates from 2012, zone offroad is your best bang for buck for those

I agree. Zone is the best economy choice. IKON is great but very expensive.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Riding on the beach, I am sure you want travel. That is why they went away from solid axles and opted for the *** weak suspension that almost all 1/2 tons have from about 1980 and on up. Great for dessert racing and freeways, and bad for just about everything else from alignments to real wheeling to replacing a million damn bushings every time they fail or squeek. So, double check this but I believe the Rancho preload has a spacer but similar coil length to the bilstien, however because of the spacer the rancho will have less travel as the shock travel will be shorter by about 1 inch, meaning the 5100's will have more travel and will be a much better ride on sand.

5100 versus preload

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Riding on the beach, I am sure you want travel. That is why they went away from solid axles and opted for the *** weak suspension that almost all 1/2 tons have from about 1980 and on up. Great for dessert racing and freeways, and bad for just about everything else from alignments to real wheeling to replacing a million damn bushings every time they fail or squeek. So, double check this but I believe the Rancho preload has a spacer but similar coil length to the bilstien, however because of the spacer the rancho will have less travel as the shock travel will be shorter by about 1 inch, meaning the 5100's will have more travel and will be a much better ride on sand.

5100 versus preload

And everywhere else. I think what has happened over the last couple of months is due to Bilsteins shut down of production. People wanted their levels so bad that they were willing to spend more on a lesser product than be patient and wait. One company wrote the book on monotube design while the other made cheap aftermarket twin tube junk that they copied from other companies. Bilstein screwed up and let in a market share that should never have happened. If you can't wait and want to spend more money get the Fox coil overs.

OP
OP
jbr

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And everywhere else. I think what has happened over the last couple of months is due to Bilsteins shut down of production. People wanted their levels so bad that they were willing to spend more on a lesser product than be patient and wait. One company wrote the book on monotube design while the other made cheap aftermarket twin tube junk that they copied from other companies. Bilstein screwed up and let in a market share that should never have happened. If you can't wait and want to spend more money get the Fox coil overs.

Thanks for the input. I am not in a rush to level my truck. Fox seem great, but out of my price range. I want to be an informed consumer and do it right the first time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From what I can see Bilsteins are back in stock.

freddyx844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 on LPG
Excellent, I'm waiting to import them to level my truck. I'm changing all 4 but the front levelling shocks are on back order.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

lone12star

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like I know what I'm ordering on payday

Sent from the MOPAR gods!

OP
OP
jbr

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just ordered the Zone UCA today

Did you order the Zone UCA because 1) you are currently having ball joint issues or
2) preventative maintenance so you don't have issues down the road?

How is your truck leveled?

jhettinger79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you order the Zone UCA because 1) you are currently having ball joint issues or
2) preventative maintenance so you don't have issues down the road?

How is your truck leveled?

Truck is leveled with a HBS spacer 2.5 right now. Just for preventative maintenance so I don't have the ball joint issue in the future, I will be replacing the spacer with Bilsteins next week if they ship. Plan to install the UCA and the Bilsteins at the same time.

BMD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 x1 and 2014 x2
Engine
Hemi
The ride is great with the Rancho and no issues with ball joint in either truck so far.

mel5151

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just put rNachos on and yeah, the ride is great. I went with it because I valued dampening adjustability over ride height adjustability, and I didn't want to reuse my old springs with new shocks. Both are great options, and really comes down to what sort of flexibility you want out of them and how set you are on your level height choice. Personally, i think the height difference is negligible enough to notice and you would probably have more fun figuring out and dialing in the best dampening setting for your use, beach, trail or pavement. I do. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
OP
jbr

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just put rNachos on and yeah, the ride is great. I went with it because I valued dampening adjustability over ride height adjustability, and I didn't want to reuse my old springs with new shocks. Both are great options, and really comes down to what sort of flexibility you want out of them and how set you are on your level height choice. Personally, i think the height difference is negligible enough to notice and you would probably have more fun figuring out and dialing in the best dampening setting for your use, beach, trail or pavement. I do. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Did you do all four corners? How often do you change your dampening.... each time conditions change?

I'm still undecided..

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just put the Bilsteins on and you never have to think about it again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990