Diff Noise Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum V8 NOW with Moose Power
So my pinion nut had come off a while back. And so while it was in the garage i did a engine job. Long story. But i fixed the notorious tick it had. So now i move on the the second job.

The rear diff. A Chrysler 9.25. I have put all new bearings in it. Also i have put a Detroit TruTrack in. I assembled it according to the repair manual. And it all went together quite well. I took it for a ride. And i noticed a noise when i applied power. Not when coasting. I don't think when i floor it. Just coasting to power. It sounds like misaligned gears. Kinda hard to explain the sound. It will make the noise when i put it up on blocks and run the tires at 80-90km (50 mph)

Backlash is at .009 to .010. When i mark the gears it shows a good pattern. The adjuster cups are at 75 ftlbs.

I have another axle i bought and is in decent shape. I could swap gears out.....

Any one have any ideas??

Last edited:

Thatdude596

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 ram big horn
Engine
Hemi
there was recall on the rear pinion nut but doubt that helps ya...clueless on rear ends unless they big and round lol

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So my pinion nut had come off a while back. And so while it was in the garage i did a engine job. Long story. But i fixed the notorious tick it had. So now i move on the the second job.

The rear diff. A Chrysler 9.25. I have put all new bearings in it. Also i have put a Detroit TruTrack in. I assembled it according to the repair manual. And it all went together quite well. I took it for a ride. And i noticed a noise when i applied power. Not when coasting. I don't think when i floor it. Just coasting to power. It sounds like misaligned gears. Kinda hard to explain the sound. It will make the noise when i put it up on blocks and run the tires at 80-90km (50 mph)

Backlash is at .0009 to .0010. When i mark the gears it shows a good pattern. The adjuster cups are at 75 ftlbs.

I have another axle i bought and is in decent shape. I could swap gears out.....

Any one have any ideas??

IF THAT'S NOT A MISPRINT THEN YOUR BACKLASH IS TOO TIGHT.
I don't know what the exact spec is on your particular diff,but a general rule of thumb is .007 to .009"(that's 7 thousands to 9 thousands of an inch).You have one thousands of an inch clearance if you set it to those specs.

BTW If you used the original gears they could already have a noise built into them by running it with a loose pinion nut.If it already is worn enough to make a noise no amount of adjusting will get rid of it.The only way is to replace the crown and pinion.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
did you take a picture of the pattern, drive and coast side? Did you load the diff with a pry bar when you checked the pattern. did you use case spreader, so you preloaded the diff bearings with proper shims?

OP
OP
MarkV

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IF THAT'S NOT A MISPRINT THEN YOUR BACKLASH IS TOO TIGHT.
I don't know what the exact spec is on your particular diff,but a general rule of thumb is .007 to .009"(that's 7 thousands to 9 thousands of an inch).You have one thousands of an inch clearance if you set it to those specs.

BTW If you used the original gears they could already have a noise built into them by running it with a loose pinion nut.If it already is worn enough to make a noise no amount of adjusting will get rid of it.The only way is to replace the crown and pinion.

Sorry miss print....Thanks for picking it up!!

I see. So how much more do i try to get it right or should i give up on it and run it?? I could take my other axle apart and use those gears? It is tight and clean.

OP
OP
MarkV

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
did you take a picture of the pattern, drive and coast side? Did you load the diff with a pry bar when you checked the pattern. did you use case spreader, so you preloaded the diff bearings with proper shims?

What side do you load with a pry bar? Left or right? I have come across using the parking brake or just holding the pinion with you hand to put resistance on it.

This axle had threaded cups for the preload.

Attachments

• 20151207_104054.jpg
    20151207_104054.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 20151207_104058.jpg
    20151207_104058.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 20151128_191050.jpg
    20151128_191050.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 56

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well being as it has the adjusters it might be worth playing with a bit.A lot easier than shimming.I can't tell from the pictures what your pattern is right now.The thing is even if you have a bit of an annoying whine after it's all set-up properly it's not like it's going to blow apart.It could run with the whine forever.

OP
OP
MarkV

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will play with it some more. Yea it was kinda hard to get a decent pic of the marking.... it was not marking very obvious. Thanks:)

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You really need a fair bit of drag on the crown while turning the pinion to get a good read.You don't need to paint it on too thick either,just cover the teeth.

OP
OP
MarkV

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have read and heard that you turn the crown and drag the pinion. And i have read that you turn the pinion and hold the crown. So i will go with what you said. Ok, I think i might have been putting it on to thick. Thanks for the help!!

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have read and heard that you turn the crown and drag the pinion. And i have read that you turn the pinion and hold the crown. So i will go with what you said. Ok, I think i might have been putting it on to thick. Thanks for the help!!

The pinion drives the crown.Makes more sense to do it that way.

OP
OP
MarkV

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The pinion drives the crown. Makes more sense to do it that way.

That is what i kinda thought. I will be marking in a bit..... Will post a pic

OP
OP
MarkV

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is what i have so far....

Attachments

• 20151212_134310.jpg
    20151212_134310.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 20151212_134324.jpg
    20151212_134324.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
MarkV

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is a video of the diff running.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MarkV

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So i ended up putting used gears from my spare axle in my diff. It runs like new first setup....well first try for those gears. It had .012 backlash before i took the used axle apart so i put it at .009 backlash in the truck.

Skillz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Hey I am having a noise 2 it goes away when I let off the pedal and comes back under load...I took the cover off there are lots of metal particles in the oil and one of the teeth on the ring gear is chipped but otherwise looks ok....took the drive shaft off and the pinion nut is tight and it has no play up down or sideas to side...what so u guys think

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So i ended up putting used gears from my spare axle in my diff. It runs like new first setup....well first try for those gears. It had .012 backlash before i took the used axle apart so i put it at .009 backlash in the truck.

So the gears were indeed wore out I assume? I have the same issue with mine and caused by the nut being torqued correctly after the recall. So then had to do the pinion bearings and my mechanic said he could not get the whine out and only way to do so would be to replace. Which I probably will do soon.

OP
OP
MarkV

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So the gears were indeed wore out I assume? I have the same issue with mine and caused by the nut being torqued correctly after the recall. So then had to do the pinion bearings and my mechanic said he could not get the whine out and only way to do so would be to replace. Which I probably will do soon.

The whine was the gears. Miss worn from the lose pinion nut. The gears look visibly ok. Swapped them out and problem gone. I just put in used gears.

OP
OP
MarkV

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey I am having a noise 2 it goes away when I let off the pedal and comes back under load...I took the cover off there are lots of metal particles in the oil and one of the teeth on the ring gear is chipped but otherwise looks ok....took the drive shaft off and the pinion nut is tight and it has no play up down or sideas to side...what so u guys think

Do you have a limited slip diff? They are know for making metal particles out of the carrier. The is little clips that brake and slide out a bit and wear a grove in the diff case. Also the clips come out and can mess up your gears.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990