Confused... 3rd brake light out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey
So this weekend I did some work on my truck. Some of which involved installing reverse led lighto in the bumper wired through the trailer light. I also installed a led bumper light which plugs into the trailers lights. Lastly I took the 3rd brake light and taillights out of the truck and tinted them with VHT nightshade. Taillights areally fine and reverse lights work. My 3rs brake light doesn't work at all. Doesn't work with light on, as a brake light or as a b3d ight when the doors open.... however if I push the bed light button then it turns in and works fine.
I took it apart and everything looks fine and the connector is on correctly.

Any advice?

OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
UPDATE---

So stopped at the gas station and had my door ajar the 3rd brake light was on! WTF. closed door to pump (its 20* here) opened door checked again and its out again...

I never removed any of the bulbs. is it possible there a loose connection?

when i first noticed it was out it was dark outside, i was bout to drive 3 hours home and it was 20* outside so i didnt have much patience to investigate especailly since the rest of the lights function fine.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My brake light itself always works. If I turn the cargo lights on with the button inside, they always turn on. When I unlock with my keyless entry, cargo lights always work. When I open my door however, it'***** or miss if the cargo lights come on.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey
So this weekend I did some work on my truck. Some of which involved installing reverse led lighto in the bumper wired through the trailer light. I also installed a led bumper light which plugs into the trailers lights. Lastly I took the 3rd brake light and taillights out of the truck and tinted them with VHT nightshade. Taillights areally fine and reverse lights work. My 3rs brake light doesn't work at all. Doesn't work with light on, as a brake light or as a b3d ight when the doors open.... however if I push the bed light button then it turns in and works fine.
I took it apart and everything looks fine and the connector is on correctly.

Any advice?

Did you try removing the LED third brake light bulb and installing it 180 degrees??? I know some LED that matters.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I open my door however, it'***** or miss if the cargo lights come on.

Is it suppose to ever come on?

I just checked mine and it didn't come one. Come to think of it...I don't recall it ever coming on. Maybe they changed it somewhere down the line?

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it suppose to ever come on?

I just checked mine and it didn't come one. Come to think of it...I don't recall it ever coming on. Maybe they changed it somewhere down the line?

Only times I really see it come on, when I unlock using my key fob or when I actually turn it on.

OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmm. I guess I thought the 3rd brake light was always illuminated. I need someone to watch me hit the brakes and see if it lights up.
The lights come on when I unlock doors.
Still confused why sometimes it comes on when I open doors and sometimes it doesn't though

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe u can set it in the setting on the dash touch screen- Also it may depend on dash/dim display/ head lights on. like how u. Can adjust the cluster lighting- If u go all the way it turns on I believe

OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did browse through the settings and didnt notice anything.... well i guess if this is normal than im not too worried. I looked at a few other trucks driving by today and didnt see a 3rd brake light illuminated while driving so i think im good!

Thanks guys.