"E" Load tires overkill?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kro75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi guys. I am leveling my Ram 1500. Wanted to put 275/65/20's on factory wheels. The problem I have is that size only comes in an E load rating. That Is adding approx. 17 pounds per tire over stock. Are their other options? Is this what everyone seems to be doing? I notice its a popular size around here with just a level. I'm just concerned about the added weight and ride quality. I do mostly highway with some weekend beach trips, so nothing too crazy. Thanks.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
17lbs a tire seems like a lot of weight gain for a tire that only has a .54" sidewall difference....

id just get the oem 275/60/20 and save the weight, I cant see that difference in sidewall height being that noticeable

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 101
OP
OP
K

Kro75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
True but the overall height seems to be over an inch so I'm thinking it would look better. I also agree that its probably not worth the extra weight. This is probably a dumb question but if the sidewall difference Is only half inch higher, the how is the overall height an inch taller?

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
True but the overall height seems to be over an inch so I'm thinking it would look better. I also agree that its probably not worth the extra weight. This is probably a dumb question but if the sidewall difference Is only half inch higher, the how is the overall height an inch taller?

the sidewall is .54" higher, so thats just over a half inch which adds up to the OD being over an inch different

OP
OP
K

Kro75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well when you put It that way, it makes perfect sense. Lol. I'm still on my first cup of coffee.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
Well when you put It that way, it makes perfect sense. Lol. I'm still on my first cup of coffee.

lol no worries man, with a 1/2" being the only gain here and the loss being almost 70 lbs in tire added, not to mention with load range E on a 1500 your ride will get pretty bumpy.

so 1/2" for less mpg, worse ride, and a heavier truck, and honestly you can probably count on more road noise, to me id live without the 1/2"

a female may complain about not gaining a half inch but we are guys, we can always say that extra half inch is there right? :favorites13::roflsquared:

OP
OP
K

Kro75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
lol no worries man, with a 1/2" being the only gain here and the loss being almost 70 lbs in tire added, not to mention with load range E on a 1500 your ride will get pretty bumpy.

so 1/2" for less mpg, worse ride, and a heavier truck, and honestly you can probably count on more road noise, to me id live without the 1/2"

a female may complain about not gaining a half inch but we are guys, we can always say that extra half inch is there right? :favorites13::roflsquared:

Haha. I can't argue with that logic. I appreciate your input.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
are they overkill? on a 1500, a little bit. you dont technically need e rated tires but they have do have some advantages that are helpful to some people. the added height is noticable, as well as the added weight and firmer ride, though some prefer the firmer ride. most tire sizes 33"+ are going to be e -rated. if thats the look your after theres not much you can do except try find a slightly lighter tire or drop to a smaller wheel to offset the added tire weight, if thats a big concern.

OP
OP
K

Kro75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
are they overkill? on a 1500, a little bit. you dont technically need e rated tires but they have do have some advantages that are helpful to some people. the added height is noticable, as well as the added weight and firmer ride, though some prefer the firmer ride. most tire sizes 33"+ are going to be e -rated. if thats the look your after theres not much you can do except try find a slightly lighter tire or drop to a smaller wheel to offset the added tire weight, if thats a big concern.

Yeah, I do like the look. I also like the added protection of a 10 ply tire, but that weight man. If it was 5-8 ponds per tire I wouldn't even care but on average its 17 pounds over the stock tires. Like you said, I dont have a choice if I want to up size. I'm more curious to hear from people that are running E rated tires about the ride quality I guess.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not only the weight issue but the ride will be different, an E-rated tire tends to be stiffer so will ride harder unless lowering air pressure.

I'd still run a lighter tire that still meets the weight loads of your truck. There are many tires out there that usually vary in actual height when compared to a competitors tire.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
Yeah, I do like the look. I also like the added protection of a 10 ply tire, but that weight man. If it was 5-8 ponds per tire I wouldn't even care but on average its 17 pounds over the stock tires. Like you said, I dont have a choice if I want to up size. I'm more curious to hear from people that are running E rated tires about the ride quality I guess.

i have load range E on my 08 and i had load range e on my 03 reg cab 1500 a few years ago, funny thing was a lady flagged me down when i had them on my 03 and was telling me my tire was flat, when i pulled over it looked like it was low but not flat, and when i checked the tire it had 0 psi and the tire was supporting the truck just on the sidewall strength alone lol

they are a very tough tire, but def have some weight to them

OP
OP
K

Kro75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i have load range E on my 08 and i had load range e on my 03 reg cab 1500 a few years ago, funny thing was a lady flagged me down when i had them on my 03 and was telling me my tire was flat, when i pulled over it looked like it was low but not flat, and when i checked the tire it had 0 psi and the tire was supporting the truck just on the sidewall strength alone lol

they are a very tough tire, but def have some weight to them

Wow. They do have a tough sidewall which is one reason I'm considering them. I do air down quite a bit on the beach and it would be more assuring with a stronger sidewall. I see all these jeeps running 35" tires and now I'm assuming they are all E rated. That's a lot of added weight for a jeep so I'm thinking if they can do it, then why not?

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
"E" Load tires overkill?

Wow. They do have a tough sidewall which is one reason I'm considering them. I do air down quite a bit on the beach and it would be more assuring with a stronger sidewall. I see all these jeeps running 35" tires and now I'm assuming they are all E rated. That's a lot of added weight for a jeep so I'm thinking if they can do it, then why not?

depends on the rims, ive had plenty of 35" tires on 17" rims that weren't load range E

on one of my old trucks i had 17" rims with 35" mud terrains and they were load range D, they were absolutely the best tires ive ever ran, gripped like hell, amazing on and off the street!

0fe831e1cf6469e0345bdbbee56af780.jpg

OP
OP
K

Kro75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
depends on the rims, ive had plenty of 35" tires on 17" rims that weren't load range E

on one of my old trucks i had 17" rims with 35" mud terrains and they were load range D, they were absolutely the best tires ive ever ran, gripped like hell, amazing on and off the street!

You are correct. I see some 17&18" tires that can be gotten in D load. I suppose that's an option but then I'm looking at new wheels too. The D load tires seem to be around 4-5 pounds lighter than the E. And I'm sure 17or 18" wheels will be lighter that my current 20's.

Marciel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

I had toyo mt's an e rated 35 on a 17, great tire but rode like ****. I found d rated mud claws and they ride much better......But d rated tires are hard to find in that size.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Cpt. Flapjack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

A lot of the offroading Jeep crowd run a C rated tire to get more sidewall flex. It does give a little spongier ride on the highway but gives amazing traction when aired down. Especially on sand. Not sure if I would recommend that on these trucks as they weigh a good 600 lbs heavier.....

Marciel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I couldn't even find a c rated in a 35, but I was thinking I wanted them lol.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Cpt. Flapjack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run Goodyear MTRs with Kevlar, but BFG KM2s , Goodyear Duratracks, Nitto Trail Grapplers are all availiblle in 35 Cs with 17 inch rims. Not sure about larger wheels though. A D rated may be good for airing down and getting a good contact with these trucks. Not sure. Ive always run Es on trucks for on road towing

OP
OP
K

Kro75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A lot of the offroading Jeep crowd run a C rated tire to get more sidewall flex. It does give a little spongier ride on the highway but gives amazing traction when aired down. Especially on sand. Not sure if I would recommend that on these trucks as they weigh a good 600 lbs heavier.....

I'm having a hard time finding a C tire in a 20". They seem to be E or have no load rating at all. Unless that means its a C. I don't even know what the standard Goodyear sr-a's are. Can't find a load rating on them. I'd be happy with a C since the only offraoding I really do is the beach.