Grill swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cheese

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2015 Sport that has the chrome slats that I hate. I have a friend who has a 2009 SLT model with the black honeycomb. Do you know if they are interchangeable? I want the honeycomb and he wants the chrome.

I know that they are the same body style but the grill surrounds appear to have a slightly different shape in the corners. I was just wondering if anyone knew if they would be a direct swap or not. I don't want to get into having to cut and fabricate.

Thanks all.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
As Austin said, you've already answered your own question. They're a different shape and aren't interchangeable. 09-12 have the full corners, 13+ are chamfered.

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im pretty sure the inserts are the same, of course the grilles are not.

OP
OP
C

Cheese

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im pretty sure the inserts are the same, of course the grilles are not.

That's what I am hoping for. I realize that the grills are slightly different, but I didn't know if Ram changed the inserts or kept them the same size.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Only one way to find out, take an hour and test swapping them out, if it works then job done... if not put back original and search for someone with same year to swap with.. or buy better looking inserts

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
look around sometimes you will find guys selling or willing to swap theirs, also a few guys have painted them black and they look a lil better that way but I agree the honeycomb is much better looking!

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That's what I am hoping for. I realize that the grills are slightly different, but I didn't know if Ram changed the inserts or kept them the same size.
This is an optimistic way of thinking, and I can appreciate that.

But logically, if the grill is a different shape, and the inserts are made to fit the shape of the grill, well... I'll save you the hour :)... They don't interchange.

IMO

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
This is an optimistic way of thinking, and I can appreciate that.

But logically, if the grill is a different shape, and the inserts are made to fit the shape of the grill, well... I'll save you the hour :)... They don't interchange.

IMO

This ^^. 100% correct. The inserts are what actually bolt to the truck and the outer shell is fit over the inserts. With the shell being a different shape the inserts have to be a different shape or then wouldn't clip together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990