hard clicking when turning.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grgreagreaga

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 ram 1500
Engine
It started two days ago just a few times but now it is getting a lot worst. Almost every time I turn right or straighten back up from turning left I get a hard clucking sound and I can feel a slight bang on my floor board. I just jacked up the truck to check the wheel bearing and the tire didn't wiggle any and spun just fine. All the cv joint boots were intact. I try to wiggle but sides (fully locked cause that is how I parked when I got home) and they didn't budge except the top part by the transfer case wiggled a little on both sides. The tie rods were there.... they didn't go anywhere but I wasn't sure how to check for bad tie rods.

I read a lot of different causes for this but I don't think anyone had a actually bang they felt.

It is lifted 6 inches fabtech with 35s and bils at 2.1

Blackram28376

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had same thing..lower control arm was loose from an alignment.

mrmagoo_83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a wheel bearing go out on my 06 that had similar symptoms when it was dying.

Luxuryram10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Rack/pinion?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'm gonna go with the rack and pinion. My 2010 did this the other day. And ended up being the rack had granaded. Replaced rack and also a half shaft with a torn boot. I think it was a mixture of both. That clunk about made me poop my pants when I first heard it. Immediately jacked it up and realized what had happened

OP
OP
G

grgreagreaga

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 ram 1500
Engine
How do you check a bad rack and pinion?
My laptop is crashed and can't research it right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

grgreagreaga

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 ram 1500
Engine
I'm going to take the tire off tomorrow afternoon and see if I can't find anything. Odds are I probably won't be doing the work myself unless it is something relatively easy but I would like to know exactly what the issue is so when I drive it to a shop they can't over charge me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk