Steering wheel is cocked

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamblinRod

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
All of a sudden out of the blue to go straight down the road, my steering wheel is turned 45 deg to the left. Last time I drove it it wasn't that way now it is. Interestingly, when I back up straight, even though the steering wheel is turned, the guidelines on the back up screen are straight. I can't imagine how or why this happened and don't know how to fix it.

Last edited:

djarrett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn't drive it until you get it checked really well. The guidelines on the radio could be a clockspring issue, but is probably tied to the wheel issue. On the the other hand, the wheel cocked going straight all of the sudden could be bad juju. Sounds like something in your steering is very loose or about to break.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get allignment checked. They can fix the crooked wheel.

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like you drive a 2016, if it's still under warranty, I'd say take it to the dealer

Luke

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I agree with Luke. Have the dealer check. I would hate to loose steering on a hey or around a tour with S turns.

OP
OP
R

RamblinRod

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Here's what I found out on another forum last night. There is a steering link with an adjusting sleeve and a large nut on either side under the truck. I checked mine and the nuts weren't even close to the sleeve which had somehow turned enough to cause this. The last thing I had done prior to the problem was backed my travel trailer into my hangar which required a lot of back and forth maneuvering due to the tight space available. Apparently this adjuster doesn't affect alignment, just the steering wheel position. I will work on it today to get it back where it belongs. If the dealer wasn't 50 miles away I would let them do it. They said this is not an uncommon problem so probably a good idea for everyone to check those nuts.

Last edited:

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I was going to say, you can adjust this yourself very easy. Always easier when someone is in the truck telling you which way to turn and when to stop. I always when it's set, put a dab on loc-tite on the nut and let it sit a few hours before driving.