Tinter couldn't do the windsheild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gibby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just had my windows tinted, had the fronts matched to the rears. I was going to have the windshield done as well. I went to pick the truck up from the tinter and he said he was unable to do the windshield. He said he went through it 5x before he cut his losses. Its a very reputable shop, the guy does know what he is doing. He said he does right around 5-6 of these Rams a week and never has a problem. But said evidently that I have an "aftermarket" windshield, possibly replaced by the dealer when the took delivery. He said looked the serial number up and it appeared to be a Mopar aftermarket number. Also that the windshield looks tweaked a little.

I know jack squat about tint, is it possible the windshield could be messed up. I mean its a windshield, I wouldn't think they would make them any different if it was a replacement. It has to fit in the same opening. Suggestions / comments

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just had my windows tinted, had the fronts matched to the rears. I was going to have the windshield done as well. I went to pick the truck up from the tinter and he said he was unable to do the windshield. He said he went through it 5x before he cut his losses. Its a very reputable shop, the guy does know what he is doing. He said he does right around 5-6 of these Rams a week and never has a problem. But said evidently that I have an "aftermarket" windshield, possibly replaced by the dealer when the took delivery. He said looked the serial number up and it appeared to be a Mopar aftermarket number. Also that the windshield looks tweaked a little.

I know jack squat about tint, is it possible the windshield could be messed up. I mean its a windshield, I wouldn't think they would make them any different if it was a replacement. It has to fit in the same opening. Suggestions / comments

Maybe I am not educated enough but I have worked in an aftermarket car audio place that does tinting as well for over 15 years and I have never heard this. Glass to tint is glass to tint. What did he mean by tweaked a little? Reasons to not tint would be a crack or hole or some type of anomaly like that and thats just because it will look like crap but it can still be done. Doesnt make sense to me why they couldnt do it.

TTU14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know nothing about replacement windshields, but if you do have one, how much different could it be from factory? Especially if it is a Mopar replacement, it should be a carbon copy of the factory glass.

I've applied tint a few times and can see where an idiot DIYer like me would have trouble with the size and contour of a windshield, but a pro tint shop should be able to do it.

You can always ask your dealer if the glass was replaced but I doubt it changes anything. If you're deadset on getting the windshield tinted, I'd find another shop and have them try it.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Op where are you located as my tint guy will get it done.

DRKNESS falls

OP
OP
G

Gibby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm located in north eastern indiana

Ram_Fish1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 BigHorn CC 4x4
Engine
5.7L
Not sure how far northeast you are but I'm Indianapolis area the guy that does all my tinting did mine has done 6 of our cars/trucks with no issue and my zr2 and Malibu both had replaced windshields
Be happy to provide you his number, perhaps he could atleast shed light on your issue, he has done it for a living for years, does individuals on the side

Last edited:

Wandell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Not knocking the guy, but it's probably just his skill level. I had a friend do my Durango and he always does a good job, but he couldn't do the rear window because of the weird curves. I took it to a local shop and the installer did it while I waited. Not saying the guy isn't good, just maybe not good enough to do your windshield. There are a lot of very good painters out there that paint dozens of normal cars weekly with great results, but not all would be able to do a custom candy paint job with ghosted flames.

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never heard of that before. You need to find another guy that knows what he is doing.