Vibration FYI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4X4 Crew White/Chrome
Been doing extensive research and running all over town talking to different tire shops.

Firstly, if you are experiencing vibration at highway speeds everyone typically defaults to balancing their tires, but after the last two days of visiting nearly a dozen tire shops, I discovered that a large majority of techs are clueless as to how important and finicky balancing a wheel really is, particularly clad wheels.

IF you have chrome clad wheels, there is a particular pin plate to mount the wheel for balancing. Shops should not be using the cone in the hub hole but instead, should use the pin plate and should backcone the wheel with a low taper collet. Doing this simulates exactly how the wheel is mounted on the vehicle. The chrome cladding in the center of the hub can throw off the balance since its not actually part of the substrate and is not how the wheel is mounted on the hub.

Secondly, if the shop is using a a hunter machine, the tech needs to disable the smartweight option, balance the tire in dynamic mode, then shift to static and balance it using weights in the CENTER of the wheel, then spin again to verify.

Most Coats balancers display dynamic and static side by side and makes it easier for the tech to properly balance the wheel.

I just had new tires put on Thursday, vibration was worse than my old SRA's after the shop balanced and mounted them. No one in town had the pin plates and proper collet until I drove all over southeastern Alabama before stopping at a Walmart tire center and asked to talk to their lead tech. They had a Coats machine and an entire rack of pin plates for this specific application. They gave me safety glasses and let me watch them balance each tire.

EVERY TIRE WAS OVER 3OZ OUT OF BALANCE!

They balanced them, and on my brand new right rear tire they discovered the tire itself is excessively out of round and is likely hopping, and was actually visually noticeable on the machine, so my truck is still vibrating but i will get my replacement tire Monday and I am relatively confident that this will solve my issue.

May also swap my girlfriend's tire out with my bad tire and test drive it since she has a 2011 and I have a 14 and we both just got new tires...I'm itching to know for sure

Anyways, good luck, I hope this helps anyone who has been bamboozled by lazy or uninformed tech's. Below are pics of the pin plate that they should be using.

IMG_20170513_115423.jpg
IMG_20170513_114637.jpg

IMG_20170513_115423.jpg

IMG_20170513_114637.jpg

likeitmn99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.9L
Been doing extensive research and running all over town talking to different tire shops.

Firstly, if you are experiencing vibration at highway speeds everyone typically defaults to balancing their tires, but after the last two days of visiting nearly a dozen tire shops, I discovered that a large majority of techs are clueless as to how important and finicky balancing a wheel really is, particularly clad wheels.

IF you have chrome clad wheels, there is a particular pin plate to mount the wheel for balancing. Shops should not be using the cone in the hub hole but instead, should use the pin plate and should backcone the wheel with a low taper collet. Doing this simulates exactly how the wheel is mounted on the vehicle. The chrome cladding in the center of the hub can throw off the balance since its not actually part of the substrate and is not how the wheel is mounted on the hub.

Secondly, if the shop is using a a hunter machine, the tech needs to disable the smartweight option, balance the tire in dynamic mode, then shift to static and balance it using weights in the CENTER of the wheel, then spin again to verify.

Most Coats balancers display dynamic and static side by side and makes it easier for the tech to properly balance the wheel.

I just had new tires put on Thursday, vibration was worse than my old SRA's after the shop balanced and mounted them. No one in town had the pin plates and proper collet until I drove all over southeastern Alabama before stopping at a Walmart tire center and asked to talk to their lead tech. They had a Coats machine and an entire rack of pin plates for this specific application. They gave me safety glasses and let me watch them balance each tire.

EVERY TIRE WAS OVER 3OZ OUT OF BALANCE!

They balanced them, and on my brand new right rear tire they discovered the tire itself is excessively out of round and is likely hopping, and was actually visually noticeable on the machine, so my truck is still vibrating but i will get my replacement tire Monday and I am relatively confident that this will solve my issue.

May also swap my girlfriend's tire out with my bad tire and test drive it since she has a 2011 and I have a 14 and we both just got new tires...I'm itching to know for sure

Anyways, good luck, I hope this helps anyone who has been bamboozled by lazy or uninformed tech's. Below are pics of the pin plate that they should be using.

View attachment 87577
View attachment 87578

View attachment 87577

View attachment 87578

THANK YOU! THIS INFORMATION SOLVED MY VIBRATION PROBLEM! MORE PEOPLE NEED TO SEE THIS CONTENT. THIS INFORMATION IS HARD TO FIND. IT TOOK ME AN HOUR TO FIND AND ADVISE THIS SHOULD GO INTO A COMMON FIX THREAD BECAUSE IT WORKS!

I TOOK THIS INFORMATION TO A BRAND NEW FLEET FARM. AFTER READING THIS, THEY WERE ABLE TO SETUP THE FORCE ROAD AND BALANCE FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTIONS. IT WORKED!!!! SOLVED MY PROBLEM.

I'VE HAD MY TRUCK IN THREE TIMES WITH THE DEALER WITH NO RESOLUTION. THE DEALER CHECKED THE RIDE HEIGHT DRIVESHAFT ANGLE, BALANCED TIRES THREE TIMES, ROAD TESTED MULTIPLE TIMES AND OBSERVED VIBRATION AT 65MPH (WATER BOTTLE IN CONSOLE WOULD SHAKE WHEN AT 65MPH). THEY COULD NEVER FIND THE PROBLEM. HOW CAN RAM DEALERS BE SO CLUELESS WITH VIBRATION ISSUES TO NOT KNOW HOW TO BALANCE A TIRE PROPERLY FOR CLAD RIMS.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You have discovered what i learned about 7 years ago
The dealership balanced my wheels one time & at 70 MPH, the steering wheel shook so hard that my arms hurt

Most Dodge Dealerships do have the Hunter Road Force Balance Machine
The problem is the dealership is never willing to send a couple of Techs to the Class on that machine.
They assume that the old method of balancing will work on the Hunter machine.
I think that they put the janitor on the machine, when he is done sweeping.

I don't allow the dealership to touch my tires, it even irritates me when they lower the tire pressure to the door sticker specs.
I always have about 700 pounds of tools in the bed & then there is the hard folding tonneau hiding it.

Last edited:

ltauras

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for the information. I will have the tires rebalanced again but this time using your info.

LES A HOPKINS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2018 Ram that has had issues since day one, brand new. Dealer could not fix the issue. Balanced, re-balanced, and road force re-balanced with no significant change. Dealer also replaced the driveshaft which they claim was on a recall anyway. Problem was still there after the new shaft install was completed. Dealer and I blamed it on cheap factory tires. Changed first set at 40K, went to Hankook premium tires. This did not eliminate the issue either. Had them re-balanced twice by two different shops that claimed they could eliminate the issue. Better, but vibration still existed. Today had a new set of premium Hankook's installed. Asked the installer to balance them as if it was his own truck. I am back to square one. Truck shakes terribly at 60-65 and always feels as if its coming from the rear of the truck. Steering wheel is solid. Tried air up, air down, no change. Am going to ask someone to rebalance using the pin plate on a hunter machine. This issue is disgusting. The manufacturer should be all over this issue. I'm trying one more time to correct it, if no success, will consider some other brand of vehicle. Trucks cost way too much to put up with this.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
You would be surprised how many tire "TECHS" don't know to line the red or yellow dot on tire with valve stem so it takes less weight. It offends them but I'll tell them ahead of time after having several sets done wrong. I didn't know it myself years ago but any "Tire Tech" should before changing a tire. Most places will hire anybody with a heart beat anymore!