Question about door locks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Byrch233

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys,

I don't currently own a Ram (Ford man myself), but my twin brother owns a 2010 1500. It has the crank windows and manual door locks, (not sure of your trim level names). The crank windows are fine, sometimes we prefer them, but it's a PITA when someone rides with him and he has to lean across the truck to unlock their door because his keys only unlock his door.

As a Christmas gift, I want to take his truck either to a shop or maybe my dad and I can do this, to change his manual door locks to keyless entry. Just something where a key fob button will open and lock both doors, nothing fancy.

Does anyone know if this can be upgraded, or has anyone done this? I would pay for aftermarket kits or an OEM kit, whatever it takes.

Thanks for your help!

rocky472

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I added OEM power windows and locks to my 2011 RAM ST standard cab. The process is mostly plug & play except for the power locks. You will need to replace the window regulators, interior door skins, get the correct door harness, window switch etc. A manual window/lock truck has a second external key lock on the passenger side. You will need to source the correct lock mechanism if you want to retain that feature. The windows and power mirrors work without any additional sales codes. The truck will do a auto lock @ 15MPH and unlock when one door is opened. What I have not solved is the door lock switches, they do not respond. The door modules send a CAN bus signal to the TIPM which cycles the door lock mechanism. I am adding remote keyless and start this weekend. If I can get that to work I will be happy.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I have a 2011 ST ram 3500, and it came with power locks/windows. I had no idea that crank windows/manual locks were even still an option...

I did add keyless entry to mine as it only came with keyed entry originally, and that was just a simple flash, and buying a FOB which was great. Not sure if you would be missing the transmitter module if you do the upgrades yourself, or if that is built in somewhere else?

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
from when i was in the install business to install actuators we would usually charge about 75-100 per door (depends on how the linkage is inside the door). plus the keyless module. usually for an installed out the door price it was about 300-500 (cheap end being a 2 door). for an experienced installer its usually about 1.5 hours per door. then plus the install of the keyless module.

if you decide to do it yourself be aware of the cheap "china" ebay brands. some work and some dont and its very frustrating when you install it and it doesnt work due to faulty equipment.

spal, autolock are the biggest brands.

rocky472

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am adding the Chrysler remote start kit that comes with 2 new fobs, hood latch with switch, antenna and new WIN module. Already did the hood latch and antenna install myself to save some time/money at the dealership. I also asked the dealer to add the code for the alarm system. Will let you know how it goes.

rocky472

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update: Remote keyless entry and start install was a success. I also had the dealer add the sales code for the vehicle alarm which worked. Unfortunately the lock switch buttons on the doors are still not operating.

TylerC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rocky, you ever get it figured out? I'm in the same boat

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk