2013 5.7 misfire issues update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grss429

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So, here's the what i found.. pulled driver side valve cover.. inspected rocker arms found #3 rocker arm to just move freely over the valve spring, turned motor and the rocker barely closes the valve..

So my question is how do i determine if it's a failed push rod or a lifter?

can i just pull the rocker arm assembly off the top of head and replace the push rods?

I'm working on a 5.7 hemi, with a misfire on cylinder 3 here..

truck has 85k

Heres the codes

p0303 misfire on 3

p0219A P219A - Bank 1 Air/Fuel Ratio Imbalance

Heres what i've done

Swapped coils/plugs/injectors to #1 no change in the code.

02 sensors seem to be switching, (graphed them with scanner)

I checked the injector seals all of them looked fine.

The truck will not really misfire on idle, when you put a heavy load on it, (punching it from say take off) it will misfire hardcore, and start to shudder

Now the truck seems to have a louder "tick" them the so called hemi tick, its more noticeable

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the rocker arm is loose, it wouldn’t open the valve all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
If the rocker arm barely moved to open the valve, then it’s probably a collapsed lifter. The push rod is easy to check, just pull the rocker shaft assembly off and remove the push rod.

OP
OP
G

grss429

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
thats what i was wondering.. if i can just take the rocker arm assembly off to check pushrods..

is there a for sure way to check cam/lifter for damage without head removal?

here is a video of it

https://youtu.be/6dlHf3tD8bA

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
If the push rod is straight and the valvespring isn’t broken or sitting funny, the only things it can be is the lifter or the cam. Either way the heads have to come off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

grss429

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If the rocker arm is straight and the valvespring isn’t broken or sitting funny, the only things it can be is the lifter or the cam. Either way the heads have to come off.

did you see the video I posted? valve spring isn't broken, the rocker arm has alot of side to side play

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
did you see the video I posted? valve spring isn't broken, the rocker arm has alot of side to side play

I saw the video, im on my phone so it’s a little hard to see. Does it have any vertical play?

OP
OP
G

grss429

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I saw the video, im on my phone so it’s a little hard to see. Does it have any vertical play?

I'll have to check tomorrow to be 100% sure, but i'm pretty sure it's all side to side play

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I'll have to check tomorrow to be 100% sure, but i'm pretty sure it's all side to side play

Vertical play is more of an issue then side to side. There will always be a little side to side play especially if that valve is closed, the video you posted does look a little excessive though. If you rotate the engine over twice by hand you should be able to watch how much that valve opens and compare it to other cylinders. Once the valve begins to open there shouldn’t be side to side play of the rocker arm.

OP
OP
G

grss429

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Vertical play is more of an issue then side to side. There will always be a little side to side play especially if that valve is closed, the video you posted does look a little excessive though. If you rotate the engine over twice by hand you should be able to watch how much that valve opens and compare it to other cylinders. Once the valve begins to open there shouldn’t be side to side play of the rocker arm.

all of the other rockers are TIGHT, this one has excessive play side to side, if i remember correctly that video was when the valve "open"

so in other terms, where does that lead me as far what to do next? i'd hate to pull a head for a pushrod or something

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Pull that rocker shaft off, inspect the rockers. Pull the push rod and roll it on a flat surface, you’ll be able to see if it’s bent. Double check the spring isn’t cracked or broken, sometimes it’s hard to see. If everything checks out. It’s the cam or lifter.

OP
OP
G

grss429

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Pull that rocker shaft off, inspect the rockers. Pull the push rod and roll it on a flat surface, you’ll be able to see if it’s bent. Double check the spring isn’t cracked or broken, sometimes it’s hard to see. If everything checks out. It’s the cam or lifter.

Can i just unbolt the rocker shaft assembly? and pull all the rockers/pushrods without pulling intake and getting them through the vally?

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
2013 5.7 hemi another cylinder misfire

Hi all, looks like there's a couple of 2013 hemi with cylinder misfire showed up all at once on this board. My truck is at the dealership now getting serviced so I thought to open a thread to document this issue:

I also got P0302 on my 1500 2013 hemi 70k miles . Also had the air fuel ratio Imbalance code, which they claimed was caused by exhaust manifold leak, which they fixed. That P0302 code has been showing on and off for the past couple years. Now it got worse and code stays on. Luckily my powertrain warranty covers it and they gave me a rental.

Dealer says that it could be right side cylinder head, clearance issue, lifters not sealing correctly, camlobe failure or cylinter head.

My truck is currently waiting in line for their engine tech to get to it to start trying the actual repairs... 2 other trucks ahead of me, and it'll take 2 weeks for them to get to mine. Last month, my truck spend 3 weeks at dealership for manifold bolts. Now it's been 2 weeks, and probably will be 2-3 more weeks

I'll report back with details once they get to my truck..

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Can i just unbolt the rocker shaft assembly? and pull all the rockers/pushrods without pulling intake and getting them through the vally?

The push rods don’t go through the valley on the hemi, they’ll come straight out after pulling the rocker assembly off.

Marshallrfoster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2012 is having the same issue. I have no compression in cylinder #3.

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
A motor I picked up cheap had a misfire on cylinder 6... rocker arm did the same thing and was slightly chipped... no broken valve spring and rods were all straight.... we pulled head the lifter was seized and cam had a nice grind into it

Also this wasn't an MDS motor it came out of a 2500 but ya that's probably what ur gunna be looking at 9c0947717c745f09df766bcd0c00cfb8.jpg57a3eb439791db1afd06fe4ffed70cf8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

chrism1367

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish we could figure out what causes it, cheap parts, oil or what. I got 4 months left on warranty, and get a little worried sometimes

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
This motor also had 300k km on it...the engine I have in my truck is at 227k km n been solid.... but ya not sure what it is

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
I've been reading a lot about this on this and the other ramz forum, and there are dozens of people posting with 2012-2013 rams having exactly same issues, which start around 70-80k+ and above. Probably more of rams will be start having issues once they reach high milage.

So far, the wild guess is that maybe these years had bad batch or lifters. I've always used RedLine for 70k miles and still had all sorts of issues with lifters etc, so even the best oil won't help if you have any these issues.

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've been reading a lot about this on this and the other ramz forum, and there are dozens of people posting with 2012-2013 rams having exactly same issues, which start around 70-80k+ and above. Probably more of rams will be start having issues once they reach high milage.

So far, the wild guess is that maybe these years had bad batch or lifters. I've always used RedLine for 70k miles and still had all sorts of issues with lifters etc, so even the best oil won't help if you have any these issues.
This motor that had the cam and lifter failure just so happened to be a 2012 but ya probably a bad batch or something