P0302 5.7 misfire at idle only

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davidpia11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So this is a really annoying one. I had a p0308 originally from a failed lifter and cam. Replaced those and it ran fine for about 100 miles. Well the cam i got from o’reilleys failed from the dowel pin breaking causing bent valves on 1,3,5, and 8 and bending 7 of 8 exhaust push rods. Again replaced the bent valves and pushrods and now have a misfire at idle only on cylinder 2. I swapped coils and plugs with cylinder 4 and misfire stayed on 2. Replaced the injector and still the same. Compression test comes back to 185 psi where the rest are roughly 200 psi. Did a leak down test as well and it passed with flying colors. Then pulled the valve cover and valves and rocker arms all seem normal. I also did a fuel induction and still a misfire. Im at a loss here.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Maybe 2 bent pushrod? is it ticking? Maybe not off enough to notice, but still off.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you sure all of the push rods are seated and in position check push rods for cyl#2.

OP
OP
D

Davidpia11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you sure all of the push rods are seated and in position check push rods for cyl#2.
Yes. I thought this too. When i pulled the valve cover i i checked seating and it was right where it should be. Thats when i pulled rocker arms and did a leak down to make sure no valve was bent. Valves came back okay and put the rocker arms back on. Still the same miss.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Intake manifolds bolts loose?

OP
OP
D

Davidpia11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Intake manifolds bolts loose?
Checked that too and still same miss. At this point I think its going to have to go to the dealer. I have spent so much time on it and have gotten no where

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What condition is the VVT Phaser in that the pin got sheared, and did you check the VVT solenoid for fragments of metal on the screen, that solenoid should have been replaced, you can still replace it, it's located under the intake plenum front of engine, that may be your problem.

OP
OP
D

Davidpia11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What condition is the VVT Phaser in that the pin got sheared, and did you check the VVT solenoid for fragments of metal on the screen, that solenoid should have been replaced, you can still replace it, it's located under the intake plenum front of engine, that may be your problem.
When the pin sheared i replaced the phaser as well. Im getting rotator cuff surgery tomorrow so when thats all healed i will have to check the VVT solenoid

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have a speedy recovery, had mine done 4 months ago finially getting back to normal, do your PT it helps!!!