Accel Ignition Coils?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Anyone running these? Debating swapping the oem coils for these when I do my plugs in a few months. Curious to hear any firsthand experiences. They are a little pricey...

Accel 140038-8 Super Coil Ignition Coils | eBay
In my personal experience, I've never had good luck with Accel. I would go with MSD for anything aftermarket ignition.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
nateinva

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
In my personal experience, I've never had good luck with Accel. I would go with MSD for anything aftermarket ignition.

I'd definitely prefer MSD and I must've overlooked their product when searching before. Is this the right one for our trucks? I see compatibility listed on some sites only thru 2008, but this states '05 - '14.

The MSD's are only about $30 more total for pack of 8.

https://www.msdperformance.com/products/coils/hemi_coils/parts/82558

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I'd definitely prefer MSD and I must've overlooked their product when searching before. Is this the right one for our trucks? I see compatibility listed on some sites only thru 2008, but this states '05 - '14.

The MSD's are only about $30 more total for pack of 8.

https://www.msdperformance.com/products/coils/hemi_coils/parts/82558
To be honest, I haven't looked for coil packs for my Ram. It's too new and it's the 6.4 liter. Aftermarket anything for that motor is scarce. I do currently have MSD coil packs on my '00 silverado 3/4 ton 6.0 liter and the wife's yukon w/5.3 liter. Also have distributor and ignition box on my '67 C10 as well. Never had any issues with anything MSD. I tend to stick with what works for me.

OP
OP
nateinva

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
To be honest, I haven't looked for coil packs for my Ram. It's too new and it's the 6.4 liter. Aftermarket anything for that motor is scarce. I do currently have MSD coil packs on my '00 silverado 3/4 ton 6.0 liter and the wife's yukon w/5.3 liter. Also have distributor and ignition box on my '67 C10 as well. Never had any issues with anything MSD. I tend to stick with what works for me.

Thanks for the replies...I'll definitely come back and update my thread if I pull the trigger. Have had good experiences with MSD components on my past vehicles as well.

Hopefully someone is running these on the 5.7L and can weigh in if they are worth it.

The reviews on Jeg's and Summit all look pretty good though.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
If you aren't having issues with a burnt out coil you will gain absolutely zero by swapping over to aftermarket coils unless you go to higher end ones like Sultans of Spark, and even then the new OEM coils perform the same. Accel and MSD are glorified stock coils with a higher rate of failure compared to the stock coils, but at least they're pretty colours.

If you want a higher voltage for your '11 then order a set of coils from a '15+; Chrysler updated the coils to run the plugs to 100,000m miles. If you want proof, the hemi cars making over 800hp are still running stock coils and the highest I've heard of was 1400hp before the stock coil wasn't hot enough to keep the spark going.

The 5.7L, 6.1L, and 6.4L all use the same coils with the change in '15 to the higher mileage coils.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have a friend who owns a dyno/tuning shop. While he has tested coils and saw a slight increase (on modern muscle cars), the stock ones are good for what they are.

He did tell me that you need to pay attention to size casings the windings. If they are not any different, the coil will not perform any different.

I personally haven't looked at them, but I do know they are out there and thought if I had a gasser, it would probably be to cool to have them..

But I am not sure how to tell on windings? They tell you on the info?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I swapped on my 97 to MSD coil and ngk v power plugs gapped a little wider and noticed slightly better mpg and a little better butt dyno. Idk how the newer trucks would respond being they are coil overs instead of a distributor. My car I did new hotter coils and did not notice a difference at all and those were coil over plug like the new Hemis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's an 06 car,as Kurtis stated the coils in the trucks switched in 13 when they went to the newer style Irridium plugs.The Irridium plugs take more voltage to fire then the old copper style plugs,and are supposed to last the theoretical 100,000 miles.Stick with the OEM coils for a 13+ they are as good,or better then the aftermarket coils.

OP has a 2011.
Just wanted to share the link.
No intense of changing coils on my 2013.

OP
OP
nateinva

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for the posts fellas...all good info. Sounds like so far I may look at the newer OEM coil packs. Is there a newer part number?

I just passed 120k miles on my 2011 and know I'll be changing the plugs soon. Figured I'd explore the coils to see if it was worth changing anything while I have them out. I'm sure it won't be long before one of the factory coils need to be replaced.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks for the posts fellas...all good info. Sounds like so far I may look at the newer OEM coil packs. Is there a newer part number?

I just passed 120k miles on my 2011 and know I'll be changing the plugs soon. Figured I'd explore the coils to see if it was worth changing anything while I have them out. I'm sure it won't be long before one of the factory coils need to be replaced.

If you update to the later coil packs,you can also update to the later Irridium plugs,and if you're at 120,000 now,odds are they'll be the last set of plugs you'll put in.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you update to the later coil packs,you can also update to the later Irridium plugs,and if you're at 120,000 now,odds are they'll be the last set of plugs you'll put in.

Who has updated the COPs and moved to iridium on the earlier 4th gens? I'm looking for the parts... I have a 2012 and when I look on rockauto the part numbers are the same for the 2012 and the 13, 14 and 15.. so I'm not actually sure the packs have changed.

OP
OP
nateinva

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Who has updated the COPs and moved to iridium on the earlier 4th gens? I'm looking for the parts... I have a 2012 and when I look on rockauto the part numbers are the same for the 2012 and the 13, 14 and 15.. so I'm not actually sure the packs have changed.
+1 looking for further info on this...

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The OEM coils are fine. The Jeep guys I know that swapped to aftermarket saw no improvement at all. A couple even had some issues, though I can't recall the specifics. Maybe with huge power, but I don't know...yet. I was making well over 800 to the wheels on the stock coils, and we're planning to double the power and haven't discussed coils. I know plenty of guys at 1000-1300 hp on stock coils.

I tried the Iridium plugs in my Jeep and had problems. Rough idle, down on power. Just ran like crap. Put the stock NGKs back in and it ran perfect. So are there new Iridiums now? I just said screw it and went to NGK copper. It's a much better conductor than the designer materials. And contrary to popular belief, they seem to last quite a long time in my case. Not sure on miles, but I've got the original set in there from a year or so ago, and it still clicks off 10s at the track.

As always YMMV...

wink

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stumbled upon a well priced set of NIB Sultans of Spark High Performance Ignition Coils for Hemi engines (part #45850).
As my spark plug change was due anyway, I figured why not upgrade to high output coils and longer lasting plugs. I followed Performance Distributors’ recommendation and used the appropriate Autolite Platinum plugs AP5325. (My early ‘13 still had copper plugs and the “low output” coils.)

I wasn’t expecting much from the upgrade - here’s my first impression after a 25 Mile roundtrip...
Idle was already super smooth with the old plugs/coils, still is, so no improvement here.
Butt dino didn’t noticed any increase in performance either.
MPG - same as before.
My personal opinion - it’s no improvement over stock, except for the longer lasting plugs. (Changing the plugs was a b*tch.)

Below some old vs new pics...

7DC9CAC4-3764-462F-9BE5-E17A9A93E184.jpg

F2EC4833-6084-44A7-8BCB-313D9F9C878E.jpg

B4A36891-4595-4AD9-B059-A20FED0CB1EA.jpg

98911EF7-892A-476F-9E27-6E7A964F8865.jpg

Last edited:

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I would not expect any difference with a stock engine or on an engine where the stock coils can keep up to the demand. I'd be interested to see what the difference would be with an engine that typically needs to close the gap like on a supercharged or nitrous application where you'd need a hotter coil to spark over a larger gap without blowing the spark out.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So really the only advantage to upgrading the coils would be to use iridium plugs instead of copper?