Active grille shutters not on the Rebels??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2016 Rebel (built June 2016) and I had my grille off the other week. To my surprise my 5.7 Hemi with the 8 speed didn't have the active grille shutters. Is that correct? The Rebel doesn't come with them??

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought they all had them except I heard the 2500s and 3500s don't. I could be wrong.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
If I remember correctly. The main objective with the grill shutters was to help (attempt) increase miles per gallon.

I do not think they created the rebel for the fuel conscious customers. I guess what I'm getting at is they didn't create the rebel for fuel conservation.

If any of that make sense.

I actually removed my system just to get more air across to my transmission cooler. It removed the fear of this system staying closed by malfunction and blocking off most of the incoming air.
Just one less thing to worry about.
I have not noticed any type of miles per gallon drop due to or since the removal.
I did notice my transmission temps do stay cooler for a bit longer now after initial start. (but I do not know how accurate these in-dash gauges are.)

I have NO regrets!

I Never would have known I had them if I had not removed my grill to check for room for the Transmission Cooler!

NO CEL!

Last edited:

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The HD's don't use any sort of active shutter system. But I am surprised the Rebel wouldn't.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I remember correctly. The main objective with the grill shutters was to help (attempt) increase miles per gallon.

I do not think they created the rebel for the fuel conscious customers. I guess what I'm getting at is they didn't create the rebel for fuel conservation.

If any of that make sense.

I actually removed my system just to get more air across to my transmission cooler. It removed the fear of this system staying closed by malfunction and blocking off most of the incoming air.
Just one less thing to worry about.
I have not noticed any type of miles per gallon drop due to or since the removal.
I did notice my transmission temps do stay cooler for a bit longer now after initial start. (but I do not know how accurate these in-dash gauges are.)

I have NO regrets!

How did you delete your system?

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
How did you delete your system?

Removed them (4 bolts).
Followed Shawns video!
Took about 15 min.

I basically removed them to install my heavy-duty transmission cooler in the same spot.

I will say this if you do remove this system and you don't do the same procedure that Shawn Demonstrates your pretty much guaranteed check engine light.

Like I said above the only reason I removed my system was to have a constant flow of cool air going through my coolers.
One less thing to worry about! One less thing to malfunction and cause other problems.
I honestly had no idea how often these were open and shut. But I damn sure didn't want them shut while I was going down the highway or interstate. Just to gain an extra 1 mpg.

I'm glad I removed the grill or I would have never Noticed them!

Last edited:

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Removed them (4 bolts).
Followed Shawns video!
Took about 15 min.

I basically removed them to install my heavy-duty transmission cooler in the same spot.

I will say this if you do remove this system and you don't do the same procedure that Shawn Demonstrates your pretty much guaranteed check engine light.

Like I said above the only reason I removed my system was to have a constant flow of cool air going through my coolers.
One less thing to worry about! One less thing to malfunction and cause other problems.
I honestly had no idea how often these were open and shut. But I damn sure didn't want them shut while I was going down the highway or interstate. Just to gain an extra 1 mpg.

Where is shawns video?

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i thought active grill shudders only came on higher model trucks like the laramie and limited?

the rebel i test drove did not have them, nor would i have expected it to either.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My sport has it and I never knew what it was for. I thought it may be to help warm up the engine during cold weather.

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My Express has them. They do also help warm the fluids up faster in colder temperatures.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Actually had them. I deleted them as well for my Vararam intake.

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
What are you guys using for the stop? Shawn used a piece of chrome trim. I'm just curious what kind of hardware you guys know works well?
I took out all the shudders except for one at the top on one side and one at the bottom on the other side. I think the way he does it in the video is different from what I did.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took out all the shudders except for one at the top on one side and one at the bottom on the other side. I think the way he does it in the video is different from what I did.

I have already done what you have done. I am thinking of removing the whole system entirely.

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have already done what you have done. I am thinking of removing the whole system entirely.
You would think you could remove them in a custom tune. That way you wouldn't get the check engine light

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You would think you could remove them in a custom tune. That way you wouldn't get the check engine light

Exactly! Of all things that our tuners can do, they can't turn off the active grille shutters...

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Exactly! Of all things that our tuners can do, they can't turn off the active grille shutters...

Jay Greene figured out a way to delete them. Email him. He took the whole shroud off, marked where the motor is when all the way in both positions, drilled a hole in the lil motor mounting tab & put a bolt in the hole to stop the lil arm that moves in the correct place then mounted the motor to the radiator support. I tried it but drilled the hole in the wrong place & got a cel due to the arm not moving far enough to its stopping point. I'm going to get another motor & try again. Jay had a video on how he did his. Its similar to the video SYN posted

Last edited:

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Jay Greene figured out a way to delete them. Email him. He took the whole shroud off, marked where the motor is when all the way in both positions, drilled a hole in the lil motor mounting tab & put a bolt in the hole to stop the lil arm that moves in the correct place then mounted the motor to the radiator support. I tried it but drilled the hole in the wrong place & got a cel due to the arm not moving far enough to its stopping point. I'm going to get another motor & try again. Jay had a video on how he did his. Its similar to the video SYN posted

Ok I'll get with Jay

OP
OP
Sir John

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i thought active grill shudders only came on higher model trucks like the laramie and limited?

the rebel i test drove did not have them, nor would i have expected it to either.

My 2014 Sport had them.