back right tire locked up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CamDep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently bought a used 2012 dodge ram slt 4x4 I got it for cheap because the box and to be replaced and a small part of the frame had to be replaced, once I got it back I drove it around for a couple hours and then the next day I drove it again and it was fine until I heard something like clicking, it sound like something hitting up against my tires because as I accelerated the clicking rate increased. then as I was turning my back right tire locked up so I got out looked around the tire and I couldn't see anything too obvious, I then got back it the truck and switched into reverse and then it drove fine in reverse and then I put it back into drive and it drove fine, but I didn't dare drive it anymore than I had to to get it back to my house, the 4WD service light came on, and I was wondering if anyone had a good idea of what happened. also, the is a tube hanging loosely by my differential, to me, it looks like some kind of breather tube because the other end has a plastic piece in the end of it. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great, thanks.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Clicking usually means bad axle shaft.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well that could be the culprit, but also it locked up while he was turning, almost certainly the axle shaft. Likely one of the two, not sure what else can do that, certainly wheel bearings wouldn't likely lock anything up. GL, Burla

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@ the OP , does your truck have the Anti-spin Differential ? AKA limited slip ( LSD)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

CamDep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not exactly sure, when i lift the back end up when i spin one tire the other rear tire goes the opposite way, so i dont know exactly what that means but im sure you guys do

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Same thing different name .

OP
OP
C

CamDep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i don't think it has it, because according to a youtube video i just watched when the back tires spin in opposite directions when in neutral with the back end lifted up its not LSD

OP
OP
C

CamDep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
also if it helps the traction light, abs light, and service 4wd light are on.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Did you try jacking up the one side and spinning the wheel and listen for any noise in either direction? if it's at the wheel, I'd pull it, the caliper and rotor and take a look at the parking brake.

OP
OP
C

CamDep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so i found the issue.. .turns out the parking brake broke mechanically, somehow a couple parts from the parking brake fell off inside the parking brake and it caused that wheel to jam up. luckily i wasnt going fast otherwise i think it could have been a lot worse, that also must have cause the wheel sensor to be all confused or something. now i just need to find those parts to buy and put them where they belong, thanks everyone for your help!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good deal , glad you figured it out Sir !

So what happened to the truck for the bed a portion of the frame to need replaced ?

OP
OP
C

CamDep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To be honest i have no idea, but i would assume some kind of heavy equipment hit it because the frame was bent pretty good, but i bought it like that for like 7,200 and ended up paying around 4,000 to get it all fixed so i think its a pretty good deal.