Block heater on hemi?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fielding99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
anyone put a block heater on their hemi? Michigan winter is getting ready to show its face and I think it would be nice to have heat fast and beneficial to the engine if I installed a block heater but I cant find much info on them for our trucks

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Mine came with one as a standard. I'm in Canada though, maybe that's why.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Order the block heater and the cord from the dealership, it's a simple install and worth it in colder climates.

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
You sure you don't have one...?

ramrunner56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm looking to install one too before it gets really cold

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I did a North Dakota winter last year without the block heater and I had no problems. I had remote start installed though that's a life saver.

ramrunner56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did a North Dakota winter last year without the block heater and I had no problems. I had remote start installed though that's a life saver.
The engine doesn't have problems its just nice to have instant heat

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
-40C the battery is very unhappy about being asked to start a very cold engine

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The engine doesn't have problems its just nice to have instant heat

No vehicle I've ever owned has had instant heat even after being plugged in all night. They start a lot easier, but thats about it...

I had a block heater installed on mine last year - hardest and most annoying part is finding a way to route it to the grill instead of where they want it - under the hood. Can't leave my hood popped all night around here...

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Even though here it really does not drop below -4*F to many times... We have many nights of 0*F... Working shift work the Ram will sit for 12 hours at night & day... At home it will be in the garage...

Employer has installed 12 outlets for the diesel owners to plug into in the parking lot... Only 4 who plug theirs in. I figure I could at least install one of these to help the battery...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I8XD9E?ref_=nav_signin

Then maybe install one of these to help the 5.7L and battery...
http://www.amazon.com/Dodge-Mopar-E...pebp=1447984723260&perid=14SQVHW1E4R5MC95YMJM

This would be a nice compliment as well...
http://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovato...lled/dp/B0006U2HD2/ref=wl_mb_wl_huc_mrai_2_dp

Maybe the Battery Blanket would be the better choice in my situation... Also the TC-3 Thermostat...

Last edited:

ramrunner56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No vehicle I've ever owned has had instant heat even after being plugged in all night. They start a lot easier, but thats about it...

I had a block heater installed on mine last year - hardest and most annoying part is finding a way to route it to the grill instead of where they want it - under the hood. Can't leave my hood popped all night around here...
Is there anything that will give me instant heat? Its just a nice thing to have when your trucks sitting outside all night in below 0 weather if you know what I mean. I'm buying an XS Power battery soon anyways and starting has never been a problem for me, after all I live in Nebraska.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Is there anything that will give me instant heat? Its just a nice thing to have when your trucks sitting outside all night in below 0 weather if you know what I mean. I'm buying an XS Power battery soon anyways and starting has never been a problem for me, after all I live in Nebraska.

Only way to have instant heat is to have an in-cab space heater. Block heaters are installed to keep the block at a decent temperature to ensure it starts but you still have a radiator and oil pan full of cold fluid which need to be warmed up.

For my emergency response truck which stay outside I have a block heater, oil pan heater, and an electric cab heater. Responding to a call in the middle of a -30C winter night isn't that bad anymore. The cab is not warm but it's not freezing cold and the engine starts and warms up a lot faster. I'm also at the limit of your standard 15A breaker.

ramrunner56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Only way to have instant heat is to have an in-cab space heater. Block heaters are installed to keep the block at a decent temperature to ensure it starts but you still have a radiator and oil pan full of cold fluid which need to be warmed up.

For my emergency response truck which stay outside I have a block heater, oil pan heater, and an electric cab heater. Responding to a call in the middle of a -30C winter night isn't that bad anymore. The cab is not warm but it's not freezing cold and the engine starts and warms up a lot faster. I'm also at the limit of your standard 15A breaker.
Thanks for the info on this stuff.

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Where did you get your oil pan heater from?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Where did you get your oil pan heater from?

I just use a 300W Wolverine pad heater that installs on the bottom of the oil pan. All my work trucks get wolverine pads, I've used a couple different types but the Wolverine ones have never let me down, and this is in the Alberta oil patch where we can get -45C some winters. My arctic trucks actually get one on the metal fuel tanks as well to prevent the diesel from gelling at -50C.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I ordered the mopar kit and installed in my truck...looking forward to trying it.bolts right up. Cost about a $125

Ramdave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I heard that all the newer Hemi's come with a block heater installed but if it wasn't ordered with the truck there is no cord. Dealer charges over $100 for the cord and it is a dry fit heater. Apparently Amazon has a cord from Kats with the correct connector for around $12
Has anyone else heard this??

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I had the oem one installed on mine! I have it set on a timer to come on a couple hours before I leave for work. I then remote start and truck up to temp when I get in and pull out! Also, I shut my hood completely with the cord, there is enough room so that it does not pinch at all...I live mine! Another great item is the windshield washer heater, oem and is really nice in winter when you want to clean windshield! I am in northeast so both a must for me!

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

You can get 1000 watt circulating block heaters that warm the coolant and circulate it through the engine. They will give you a little bit of cab heat on start up since the coolant is already warm and the engine stays pretty warm as well. Those oil heat pads are a good idea for the transmission pans.

Last edited: