To CAI or not to CAI?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
I installed a S&B CAI on my 2012 shortly after I bought it and I can't say I have been disappointed in it. I wouldn't swear that it provided more HP or TQ but I did appreciate the sweet sounds it provided.

I now have a 2013 that I bought a few months ago and I'm ready to pull the trigger but can't decide if I should. It's either a CAI or a new head unit. I have a Pedal Commander on the way which I suspect will increase my pleasure of driving quite a bit. I've replaced all 6 speakers already and have added a Kicker Hideaway sub, I know a new HU would be appreciated immediately.

Can't decide which way to go here.....

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Its personal preference....if I were you and it came down to intake vs. head unit...buy the head unit. Get the intake later if you want.

Intakes are supposed to increase hp...in small gains...and I also like the extra sound. But...you already did the speakers. Get the head unit and enjoy them.

Get the intake later! I will say I also have the S&B on my 2017 Rebel and really like it.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
tough choice. i agree with above, i really love induction noise. Me personally I would do CAI and since you have the Pedal Commander from Got Exhaust(shameless plug lol) on its way i think the CAI would be a nice compliment to the PC. now back 10 years ago i would of agreed on the HU but im less about the tunes and more about engine noises. i dont even play the radio in my 92 mustang with headers, offroad x pipe, and SLP cat back.

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was told that a CAI will not do anything on these newer trucks unless you reprogram the computer. The tune will make the air/fuel ratio that magic number.

I did some research and found that to be true with a ton of reports. I even saw K&N now has to indicate on their sales after this year that HP gain claimed are not typical and may have been do to a tune change on top of the intake..

I just got my 1500 and think I will pass on the intake at this time.

it's not like the old days where you threw a filter on and BOOM. Instant power..

stoviAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd go head unit. Intake gains are MINIMAL, especially with a stock motor.

Intake later.. Maybe ported heads and some lt headers to follow.
Untill then I'd forget about the. Intake system and buy yourself a K&N high flow filter and call it a day!

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Head Unit is going to have you not caring what it sounds like outside.

I'd say wait on the intake until you ditch that boat anchor of a stock muffler.