Carven Competitor vs Progressive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2016Bighorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If anyone is undecided regarding these two mufflers, I have a unique, first hand experience. My buddy and I both have 2016 1500 Big Horn Hemi's. Both are Crew Cabs, and BOTH are short beds. He purchased and installed the Competitor and I purchased and installed the Progressive. I have driven his truck, and obviously, my own as well. I drove them back to back last night! So here is My opinion and observation... they BOTH sound the same under hard throttle, part throttle and revving. Were the differ is at idle, cold start, and cruising. My muffler (Progressive) is quieter on cold start, while cruising and while idling. They both have drone, this is difficult, if not impossible to eliminate, with a performance muffler (especially of these sizes) while in 4 cylinder mode. While the MDS sound does not exactly bother me, it is sure to bother some. The reason I wanted to go the tamer route with the Progressive, is because I didn't want to upset my neighbors during remote starting in winter and while idling before I leave for work, ect. I hope this might help some of you decide. I am VERY pleased with my purchase of the Carven Progressive bolt in muffler! The install could not have been any easier and everything lined up perfectly! Thank you for reading! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I love the Progressive. I wouldn't have minded the Competitor but I live in a nice sub division and didn't want to awake my neighbors :)

I don't mind the drone...love the sound overall and it reminds me is there. I turn the radio up and just cruise.

4400 mile round trip coming up in February...MN to CA. Can't wait!

Thanks for the review!

BogsRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for this first hand review. I am 98% sure Iam going to go with the progressive soon. I want something in between the mellow 18" Magnaflow I have now, and the competitor series.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like the progressive too, hoping for a black Friday sale

Dirtyblackhoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can tell you this...The Carven Progressive is not quiet by any means.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2016Bighorny

2016Bighorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyway yall can do a sound clip side by side?
I was thinking about that on my way home from his place and I KNEW that would be a question or request today! Damn, I am sorry, I forgot to do that...

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The progressive seems to be more popular from our customers. Mainly due to cold start from what I been hearing from customers.

The competitor guys seem to be the guys that like it LOUD all the time.

Both sound great and are quality systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Progressive is loud under hard acceleration. Had my wife take the truck and rip around our area (farm land, sticks, boonies) and I could hear it plain as day from a good distance away. So, yeah, it's loud. It's still pretty loud on cold start and idle, but manageable. If you live in a cookie cutter development where houses are packed in there you're going to be bothering your neighbors.

Lucky for me there is a good bit of distance between me and my neighbors and we're in all brick homes.

Glefevre87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was thinking about that on my way home from his place and I KNEW that would be a question or request today! Damn, I am sorry, I forgot to do that...

I'm stuck between mufflex 18" and progressive. Decisions decisions...

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

The mufflex with magnaflow muffler is a nice setup but I think the Carven sounds way better and also uses better stainless steel.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
2016Bighorny

2016Bighorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I had a 14" Mufflex on my 2012 Ram Express and I will tell you, the Progressive is MUCH MUCH louder than the 14" so it must be insane compared to the 18"...

Glefevre87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The mufflex with magnaflow muffler is a nice setup but I think the Carven sounds way better and also uses better stainless steel.

Ok. I'm leaning towards that now. What price am I looking at?

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok. I'm leaning towards that now. What price am I looking at?

Shoot me a PM with vehicle and shipping address. Then I'll send you a quote with your forum discount!