Catch Can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BAMF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just started looking at catch cans after seeing a post from a member on here in a different forum.
Anyone have any advice positive or negative about installing one?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Some people swear by them and others don't see the need. Of all the hemi engines on the road today and over the years only a very, very small percentage (probably a fraction of a % of all hemi owners) have had a CC installed and I personally never hear of engines breaking or not lasting as long from not installing one. I'm not saying they don't serve a purpose but I don't believe not installing one is a dealbreaker either.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your keepin her for the long haul...installing one wouldn't hurt.

They look nice under the hood.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As Bryan28 said above there's a very small percentage of Hemi's out there with an OCC ...... imo that small % are the very few that have a clean intake plenum ....

I like my intake plenum clean

I have one on my 14 & I installed one on my wife's Challenger as well .

Check out the link above by AFMoulton , lots of good info & photos there..

Also Google oilcatchcan.com it's a good read and explains the PCV system well .

Hope this helps !

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I could not find a down side. They're cheap and easy to install. I usually keep good trucks for a long time.

So I installed mine @ under 2000 miles.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
BAMF: I will share my positive & negative thoughts.

This is the first modification done to my 5.7L once arriving home @ the 152 mile mark.
This was a modification that was highly recommended by my long time friend & Service Mgr of the dealership where I bought my Ram.

Positive
1. Very easy install & Looks practically stock
2. Keeps intake manifold & throttle body dry & clean (This has been shown & proven Many times over). There are benefits to this over time!

Negative
1. These cost $$$ they are not free! Similar to a CAI but way less!
2. You do have to take 5min out of your day to dump the oil & clean out the residue.
3. Unfortunately they do not show to add any mpg or hp/ft lb torque gains (which anyone who has a lick of common sense would not expect any to begin with)! Only future prevented maintenance.

These are mine! I don't think like most which is a good thing.
There are millions of things that I consider a waste of $$$ this is not one of them.
This is a one time buy that will last for the life of the 5.7L (If Installed Properly).

Just observing all the thousands of CC photos being dumped & the residue in the bottom showed my so called waste of $$$ was a good investment.

Good Advice Above!
Like a couple have posted above if you only have plans on keeping your RAM for a few years don't even waste your money or time with this modification.

I have read many comments of owners who say if A catch can is necessary why are these CC not installed @ the Factory?

If normal person thinks about it for six seconds it is pretty easy to understand. There are millions of owners who can't even change their own oil or let alone the air filter or even put air in their tires.
So there is no way these same folks will remember to dump the captured oil & clean the residue from the can.

Last edited:

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
As Bryan28 said above there's a very small percentage of Hemi's out there with an OCC ...... imo that small % are the very few that have a clean intake plenum ....

I like my intake plenum clean

I have one on my 14 & I installed one on my wife's Challenger as well .

Check out the link above by AFMoulton , lots of good info & photos there..

Also Google oilcatchcan.com it's a good read and explains the PCV system well .

Hope this helps !

First thing the Stealership tries to sell you if you have a rough idle is TB and intake cleaning.

Why?

Because they know the output from the Hemi's PCV fouls both over the course of time--and can lead to rough idle, fouling and other issues.

They want more for the cleaning than the cost of a catch can to start.

Mic Drop.........

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
LOL ! Mic Drop !

Well said Casper ....well said .

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I can see the benefits of one, and have considered getting one myself. However, I just changed out my throttle body this weekend at 9100 miles, and my stock throttle body was dry and spotless. Doesn't mean I don't think a catch can is valuable, it is just what I observed in regards to my truck.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Installed one of my truck last week. Can't hurt I guess.

OP
OP
BAMF

BAMF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you all very much for your input... I definitely plan on keeping my truck a long time, so looks like a solid investment.

What brands do you recommend? TonyMM sent a link for custom billet. Looks solid any other suggestions?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First thing the Stealership tries to sell you if you have a rough idle is TB and intake cleaning.

Why?

Because they know the output from the Hemi's PCV fouls both over the course of time--and can lead to rough idle, fouling and other issues.

They want more for the cleaning than the cost of a catch can to start.

Mic Drop.........

Sounds great... but wheres the proof?

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I can see the benefits of one, and have considered getting one myself. However, I just changed out my throttle body this weekend at 9100 miles, and my stock throttle body was dry and spotless. Doesn't mean I don't think a catch can is valuable, it is just what I observed in regards to my truck.

Firebird: Your 5.7L is brand new!
We are talking about benefits that will aid well into the 25K-200K mile mark.
Taking extremely good care of your air intake system & not driving in extremely dusty conditions will help as well.

Neglecting your air filter will really effect the performance & appearance of the throttle body (Over Time)!

I want to say this and I will be done within this thread.
We purchased a 2014 GMC sierra 5.3L Z71 pick up for my son for his last year at college.
This truck was used by my wife's oil field company (company mans pickup) 3/4 of the miles were all highway and interstate. We bought this truck with 161,000 miles on the motor.

The first thing we did was take the air intake system completely off and clean the throttlebody. The pick up was running somewhat rough and averaged about 17 miles to gallon on the highway. I only wish I would've taken pictures of this throttlebody.

Needless to say we Took two cans of throttlebody cleaner and a toothbrush to get this throttlebody clean or at least decent to look at. At least now the butterfly will open and close extremely smooth.
We cleaned the whole and air intake tube and air filter box and replaced the old air filter.

We then started the 5.3L up and right away you can tell it was the difference between night and day the engine ran quiet and smooth no hesitation in the throttle it was amazing to me just how much difference cleaning and having a clean throttlebody makes. We then installed a Moroso CC that I had ordered.

We then changed all the spark plugs as well as the coil plug wires with MSD then changed the Oil & Filter.
On his last trip home from college for summer internship he traveled 147 miles back home he averaged 20.2 miles per gallon.

I by no means have ever said A catch can is necessary but I do deeply believe it has long-term benefits.
It is a very cheap investment compared to the many many hundreds of other modifications owners do their trucks.

You know I also find it extremely entertaining when owners post that they spent $4000 on new huge wheels and tires or $2000 on a new sound system for the Rams or $1000 for a lift kit.
Also $200-$300 for a cold air intake and and get nothing but more sound & eye candy for the engine bay!
These owners all receive HIFives/Pats on the Butts/Congrats/Thumbs Up/
Beers in the air ya get what I mean!

But when an owner posts that he installed a CC he is virtually ridiculed for being dumb and stupid & wasting $$$$! Oh Ok! Look in the Mirror!

I myself being older just don't get it!
But ya know what? I'm glad I don't!

Last edited: