Catch can for the Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AkNomad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had never heard of this catch can until I joined this forum and started reading all the different threads and saw the one about the catch can. Is the catch can a "must do" mod for the Hemi? Any other mods I should consider that will help performance and not void the warranty?

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A new catch can question. Is it that time of the month again ???????? :roflsquared:

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A new catch can question. Is it that time of the month again ???????? :roflsquared:

Kinda surprised we went this long w/o it coming up again! :)

AkNo,,, You should be able to find a lot of info with the search feature. CCans have been discussed a lot here,,,,

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Some people swear by them, others don't. You're going to get a lot of different answers on this. I'm middle ground on the topic still. Don't have one and don't have $130 or so to spend on one, so it's not in my near future.

The others are right, though. There are plenty of threads about this. Do a search on the upper banner, and you'll have enough reading material to last days.

OP
OP
AkNomad

AkNomad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not digging through hundreds of pages of unrelated BS to try and find the answer to my question (yes, I've already done it).

How about answering this question.....who are the top 10 most knowledgeable members on this site that own a 1500 with the Hemi 5.7?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
For cheap insurance, a catch can is a must have IMO. I've seen enough gunked up throttle bodies to justify having a catch can from a maintenance standpoint.

From there, I would add a tuner. By having the catch can installed, your tuner will be able to get a little more aggressive with your timing because you will not have any oil contaminating your fuel. The catch can will collect that oil and allow you to get the most out of your tuner.

OP
OP
AkNomad

AkNomad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK, that sounds good to me. I bought my truck used (61k miles) so it doesn't have the can (obviously), should I clean the intake before I install one?

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you recommend catch cans for all makes of trucks? I'd never heard of them until i started reading on this forum. Why would they be needed for the Ram but not other brands? Not trying to be argumentative just curious.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Do you recommend catch cans for all makes of trucks? I'd never heard of them until i started reading on this forum. Why would they be needed for the Ram but not other brands? Not trying to be argumentative just curious.

if my memory is correct, its more of a hemi thing. Hemis like to let a lot of oil in

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
I have never worked on any newer brand other than Dodge, so I am not sure about their motors. The Hemi motor just pumps a lot of oil through the PCV valve, and allowing that oil to build up in your intake manifold and on your throttle body is not a good thing. I'm not saying your motor is going to explode on you for not having one, but who wouldn't want to keep their engine and fuel clean? With catch cans being so cheap compared to every other mod, it just seems like a no brainer to at least put it on the to do list. Anyone that cares about performance should have this at the top of the priority list.

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Just went and emptied mine. 4th time in 11k miles

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 2 right now on the pcv side. a BT and an Arrington V2.0. And I swear by the motor gods themselves, if I can figure out how to plumb the Arrington V2.0 which has a -8AN 3/4×16 pitch opening to our fresh air side, I'll be having 3. It's worth 100hp.:word:

Last edited:

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not digging through hundreds of pages of unrelated BS to try and find the answer to my question (yes, I've already done it).

How about answering this question.....who are the top 10 most knowledgeable members on this site that own a 1500 with the Hemi 5.7?

Another one of those 'Not gonna make my own decision!!!" kinda guys eh???

Probably as much controversy on the 10 most "knowledgeable' as there is on a CCAN!!!

:roflsquared:

Last edited:

Fubar65

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it's not important enough for you to do your own research on it then why do it.

Crianor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A catch can does exactly what the name implies...it helps to keep some of the nasties from going back into the engine. This will likely have some long term benefits, but only generally. They don't add horsepower, improve fuel mileage, etc. the beauty of posting to a forum is that anybody can say they added something and it gave them 100 hp, and gained them 5 mpg. No proof required.

The issue with a catch can is there is no imperical evidence that says adding one or not having one will result in A or B. Even with what is collected, we don't know how much is being missed. And that is important, because if the catch can is only catching a small percentage of the overall amount, how much benefit is there?

At this point, it would seem that a catch can is good insurance and it won't hurt anything, but beyond that...

Let's be clear, this only applies to daily drivers. If you are looking at building a race engine, with turbos, nos, or supercharger, then there are other considerations.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
A catch can does exactly what the name implies...it helps to keep some of the nasties from going back into the engine. This will likely have some long term benefits, but only generally. They don't add horsepower, improve fuel mileage, etc. the beauty of posting to a forum is that anybody can say they added something and it gave them 100 hp, and gained them 5 mpg. No proof required.

The issue with a catch can is there is no imperical evidence that says adding one or not having one will result in A or B. Even with what is collected, we don't know how much is being missed. And that is important, because if the catch can is only catching a small percentage of the overall amount, how much benefit is there?

At this point, it would seem that a catch can is good insurance and it won't hurt anything, but beyond that...

Let's be clear, this only applies to daily drivers. If you are looking at building a race engine, with turbos, nos, or supercharger, then there are other considerations.

Trucks with tuners and no catch can will typically record much more spark knock than ones that have catch cans installed. This alone is enough evidence to show that the can does keep enough oil from mixing with your fuel that it allows you to run more timing in the tune. You don't have to be building a drag truck or car to see this...it would apply to any truck with a tuner. That is the only performance benefit of the catch can.

As far as maintenance and longevity goes, I seriously doubt a motor is going to fail because you don't have a catch can installed...but go look at a throttle body from a truck with 100k miles and no catch can compared to a truck with 100k miles with a catch can. The amount of oil building up the back of the TB of the truck with no catch can would surprise you.

Again, this isn't something that you have to do in order to keep your motor from exploding while driving, but there is more than enough evidence to back up that they do work, and are very cheap insurance when you compare their cost to what every other performance part for these trucks costs. I will never own or drive a Hemi vehicle without one.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn, 2 pages of great advise and nobody has mention how sexy they are?! :naughty:

Attachments

• IMG_20140830_210155.jpg
    IMG_20140830_210155.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 113
  • bt-catch-can-stock-005.jpg
    bt-catch-can-stock-005.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:

Crianor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Trucks with tuners and no catch can will typically record much more spark knock than ones that have catch cans installed. This alone is enough evidence to show that the can does keep enough oil from mixing with your fuel that it allows you to run more timing in the tune. You don't have to be building a drag truck or car to see this...it would apply to any truck with a tuner. That is the only performance benefit of the catch can.

As far as maintenance and longevity goes, I seriously doubt a motor is going to fail because you don't have a catch can installed...but go look at a throttle body from a truck with 100k miles and no catch can compared to a truck with 100k miles with a catch can. The amount of oil building up the back of the TB of the truck with no catch can would surprise you.

Again, this isn't something that you have to do in order to keep your motor from exploding while driving, but there is more than enough evidence to back up that they do work, and are very cheap insurance when you compare their cost to what every other performance part for these trucks costs. I will never own or drive a Hemi vehicle without one.

Good To know about the spark knock. Hadn't really heard about that.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Damn, 2 pages of great advise and nobody has mention how sexy they are?! :naughty:

I have a fancy new catch can and BT under hood kit on the way right now...I'm going to give you a run for your money on the underhood styling category ;)