Catch can for the Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I'll shoot you a PM. Don't want to clutter this thread.

Kingcobra423

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 Sport CC 4X4
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
UPR Billet Catch Can Diffuser

I'm about to pull the trigger on a BT catch can. I may even go with the new clear one. I like the idea of being able to see the oil level. I do have a couple of questions though...

1) How often on average do you empty the catch can (miles, months, hours)?

2) Is a diffuser necessary? I see UPR offers a diffuser to fit the BT 20014 catch can. Just wondering if it's worth the $40? I'd rather do it once, do it right!

UPR Billet Catch Can Diffuser

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
i dont have a diffuser on mine and it collects plenty

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A long time ago in a forum far far away, back when BT was developing/testing their can, one individual was working directly with BT / field testing the prototype. (Challenger or Charger mule, can't remember which)

The question of 'how much does it actually remove?' was asked. The mule was then set up with 2 BT's in a series.
The legend goes that ~95%~ of what they caught with this combination was caught in the first can. ~5%~ in the 2nd.

Even with my BT, every now and then I'll pull the PCV line @ the manifold and run an entire can of Seafoam through it.

As always,,, YMMV.

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
BT catch cans do a great job. I put another catch can in line with the BT because when I removed my intake manifold for moes ported intake, there was a lot of oil in the intake runners. Whether it was from increased valve overlap with my cam or whatever, I didn't know. So, I got a CC with a green filter inside of it.

After a month of running the two together, no liguid in the 2nd can but the filter caught some misting oil and the can itself just a sheen of oil. From what I understand, most cans do a good job. The issue is really the smaller microns of oil. Having a catch can that incorportates a filter seems to give added insurance of a clean intake and a consistant octane rating.

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I purchased my catch-can about 2 months ago and did my first oil change at 3000 miles. I've had the truck since February and got this.

Attachments

• IMG_20150620_113021.jpg
    IMG_20150620_113021.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 71

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I've done alot of highway driving and I mash the pedal alot. Ive emptied my cc 3 or 4 times and it's usually 3/4 full

OP
OP
AkNomad

AkNomad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another one of those 'Not gonna make my own decision!!!" kinda guys eh???

Probably as much controversy on the 10 most "knowledgeable' as there is on a CCAN!!!

:roflsquared:

It's called research, if you knew anything about that you wouldn't have made that stupid comment.

Let me see, you've been a member since April, you're probably not going to make that top 10 list any time soon. :favorites13:

OP
OP
AkNomad

AkNomad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Trucks with tuners and no catch can will typically record much more spark knock than ones that have catch cans installed. This alone is enough evidence to show that the can does keep enough oil from mixing with your fuel that it allows you to run more timing in the tune. You don't have to be building a drag truck or car to see this...it would apply to any truck with a tuner. That is the only performance benefit of the catch can.

As far as maintenance and longevity goes, I seriously doubt a motor is going to fail because you don't have a catch can installed...but go look at a throttle body from a truck with 100k miles and no catch can compared to a truck with 100k miles with a catch can. The amount of oil building up the back of the TB of the truck with no catch can would surprise you.

Again, this isn't something that you have to do in order to keep your motor from exploding while driving, but there is more than enough evidence to back up that they do work, and are very cheap insurance when you compare their cost to what every other performance part for these trucks costs. I will never own or drive a Hemi vehicle without one.

Do I need to do anything to my truck before I add a CC since I bought it used?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Do I need to do anything to my truck before I add a CC since I bought it used?

Pull the throttle body off and clean it and I'd run some Seafoam or other liquid degreaser through the PCV hose to clean out any oil that's built up in there. I bought my truck with 100,000kms on it and had to clean up the intake manifold as well since it had a good layer of varnish built up inside it.