Coolant Mixture

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BackCountryAK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab & 6.4' bed
Engine
Anyone know what percentage/mix of coolant comes from the factory? Trying to get my truck winterized for interior Alaska. I would assume it's 50/50 since Mopar sells the premix 50/50 as well as the concentrate. I had some test strips as well as the cheapo antifreeze tester and both indicate that it's higher (strips said around 60/40 and other tester well beyond -45F) which I'm skeptical about. Been reading that these tests are probably skewed due to the OAT. Thought about buying a refractometer to test but am also reading elsewhere that it may read higher as well. Guess I can always go to the dealership to get the truck winterized but I have a hard time paying them over $500 for less than $200 worth of parts. Truck already has the factory block heater if that makes any difference for what percentage of glycol comes from the factory. In the end I need it to be around 60/40 to be safe for the winters here.

Tdjma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You need to mix*antifreeze*with water. ... In the*winter, the correctratio*is usually 60%*antifreeze*to 40% water. This mix will protect your engine from everything except the most extreme*winterweather. If you live in a very cold climate, you may want to use a 70%*antifreeze*to 30% water.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have always assumed an antifreeze tester was pretty close and when I am changing it myself use one. My mix is 60/40 as I would rather have more protection against the cold than not enough.

How else would they test antifreeze strength for OAT?

OP
OP
B

BackCountryAK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab & 6.4' bed
Engine
I have always assumed an antifreeze tester was pretty close and when I am changing it myself use one. My mix is 60/40 as I would rather have more protection against the cold than not enough.

How else would they test antifreeze strength for OAT?

That's what I'm trying to find out. Read some things from Cummins and elsewhere on the web and it was implied that you need a special tester for OAT which was a pretty penny. Trying not to overthink this but would hate to go over 70/30 when adding concentrate when the truck was already at 60/40 and not needed at all. I just called the dealership and the service advisor said the coolant mixture can vary from the factory. Of course she wasn't sure how they determine that lol. Guess I can always pay them for the winterization and then it's on them.