OAT coolant HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Idahokid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I flushed my coolant and it was orange.I used a Prestone OAT technology coolant.Very bright yellow/green.Oat base coolant is sometimes referred to as universal coolant.The bottle says good for 150,000 but I’d start checking its strength way before that.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Over the years I've seen so many problems injected or exacerbated by aftermarket parts that I've become, in most cases, an advocate for factory stuff. The one fluid that I've seen problems with is engine coolant, and not just with Mopar cars.

Against my advice, someone in the family used Dexcool in my granddaughters Dart and within a year the rubber hoses started to convert to bubblegum causing heater core and radiator to clog.

The difference in the price of Mopar coolant over generic is not overwhelming, and you would know you used the correct coolant.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 100154 miles

Kenduro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Mopar stuff is good stuff, not to say you can't find something as good elsewhere (if you're either smart or lucky). But when I needed to replace my 03 RAM battery, I was surprised to see it was the original factory battery, and 12 years old! I've replaced it twice since then. As an alternative to factory Mopar, I've come to believe that every VALVOLINE product (Zerex) is of high quality. My only problem with Zerex is that it is clear. I'd like to find a cooling system friendly dye to ad to it. Not sure why they don't color it, but may be a clue that they want to keep it as pure as possible.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The '03 Grand Cherokee we bought was like that way back when we got it. I just left it, and changed the green coolant once....(although it leaks plenty over the winter which I add new). I've checked and adjusted the pH every couple yrs. It just turned 240k miles and still runs great. So...despite what they say, it didn't kill our 4.7.

I run green coolant in my old iron/copper stuff, but I run the right Mopar & DexCool in the other vehicles as needed. But yeah, I agree, if you keep on top of things (that's the qualifier), the green coolant probably isn't going to stop the sun from rising in the east come morning.

I switched to the original red Toyota coolant on collector/ classic older cars. This coolant never forms the white crusty, corrosive powder and never causes electrolysis pitting. I currently run the old fashioned green coolant in my '04 Ford Ranger, Asian Blue in my '07 Sorento, and Dex-Cool in my '02 Blazer. When I rebuilt the 318 on my '98 Ram 1500 I run green. The Ranger is the only one with under 200 thousand miles on it.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I switched to the original red Toyota coolant on collector/ classic older cars. This coolant never forms the white crusty, corrosive powder and never causes electrolysis pitting.

Interesting. I'll have to look into that. Thanks! :happy160:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Did you know that Mopar actually makes 2 different OAT Coolants ?

Mopar tells you to watch which type that you are buying.
The Mopar OAT Coolant that is used in American, Canadian & maybe even South American made vehicles is 1 type.

The second Mopar OAT Coolant is used in the FIAT group of vehicles & possibly other FCA European built vehicles
.................................................................................

I am actually a bit confused by the OAT Coolants, as are many others

The type of metals, seems to be the determining factor for the formula for the ingredients in ANY brand of Coolant

ie:
FIAT vehicles, i assume are close to being fully Aluminum, any where that the coolant flows

American FCA/Stellantis vehicles use a mixture of metals & plastics in areas where the coolant flows

Cummins on the other hand, i believe is almost all Iron, but i don't know about the water pump & radiator.
Thus the Fleetguard formula may again be different

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
IAT, ( the original Green Formula )

can be used in any gas or diesel engine, not as a Blend with other coolants, just IAT & distilled Water, after a complete FLUSH.
You just have to change it out after a year or two & change out the Fresh IAT.

Many Freshwater Boats with inboard engines, are shipped from the Boat builder to the Boat dealers.
Many of those Boat dealerships, immediately upon receiving the boat shipment, drain & flush the coolant that is in those boats, then they refill the Coolant system with
50% IAT and 50% Distilled or Deionized Water

Last edited:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Mopar stuff is good stuff, not to say you can't find something as good elsewhere (if you're either smart or lucky). But when I needed to replace my 03 RAM battery, I was surprised to see it was the original factory battery, and 12 years old! I've replaced it twice since then. As an alternative to factory Mopar, I've come to believe that every VALVOLINE product (Zerex) is of high quality. My only problem with Zerex is that it is clear. I'd like to find a cooling system friendly dye to ad to it. Not sure why they don't color it, but may be a clue that they want to keep it as pure as possible.

I know for sure it also comes in Yellow, not sure if they still have orange or not, my self in my 06 I used clear, I did not want yellow as someone might think it was Prestone or Motorcraft coolant...

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know for sure it also comes in Yellow, not sure if they still have orange or not, my self in my 06 I used clear, I did not want yellow as someone might think it was Prestone or Motorcraft coolant...
I just gave away a partially filled gallon jug of the Mopar 5 year/100,000 mile coolant and it was a reddish orange.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 100238 miles.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I just recently did my 2017 HEMI'S radiator "flush" ... the coolant still looked good at six years and 50, 000 miles.

Fwiw, my method I did was drain the radiator/refill with new/drive with the heater on and engine hot enough to have had the thermostat open, park and let cool down and repeated this procedure two more times and topped everything off and called it good.

Attachments

• IMG_20231018_121253380.jpg
    IMG_20231018_121253380.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20231018_121313868.jpg
    IMG_20231018_121313868.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20231018_121622193.jpg
    IMG_20231018_121622193.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 8