Did I break my truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wstacy3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I have a green tuned 14 hemi cc. Found an open parking lot did some donuts now my truck seems to be stuck in limp mode?? Wont shift out of second. Tried reloading tune and disconnecting battery but no luck... 40k miles so not sure why i cant do some simple donuts without issues...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BIGMIKE27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I have a green tuned 14 hemi cc. Found an open parking lot did some donuts now my truck seems to be stuck in limp mode?? Wont shift out of second. Tried reloading tune and disconnecting battery but no luck... 40k miles so not sure why i cant do some simple donuts without issues...

I didn't know our trucks can reduce power like that, so I think you probably damaged something. I had another a buddy that his 6 speed transmission was stuck in 2nd gear, and end up getting new transmission

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
wstacy3

wstacy3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check for codes

Hooked my trinity up to it and it says no codes found but there is a cel lit up. It allows me to clear the cel but it comes back after I try to drive it

SportyJames

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Didnt break it, but i think you pissed it off.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Clear the "No Codes" in your Trinity,it'll turn off the light in the dash.Even though the Trinity shows no codes,if you hit clear codes,it'll get rid of the dash light.To get it out of Limp Mode you have to hold the "Start" button down for at least 5 seconds,the truck should shut off then,and it'll return to normal,but will still have the light on in the dash,but if you clear the non-existent code with your Trinity it'll go off. You didn't hurt the tranny,it goes into limp mode when the rpm differences of the input and output shafts of the tranny don't match the built-in ZF parameters,it's a safety measure.

OP
OP
wstacy3

wstacy3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Clear the "No Codes" in your Trinity,it'll turn off the light in the dash.Even though the Trinity shows no codes,if you hit clear codes,it'll get rid of the dash light.To get it out of Limp Mode you have to hold the "Start" button down for at least 5 seconds,the truck should shut off then,and it'll return to normal,but will still have the light on in the dash,but if you clear the non-existent code with your Trinity it'll go off. You didn't hurt the tranny,it goes into limp mode when the rpm differences of the input and output shafts of the tranny don't match the built-in ZF parameters,it's a safety measure.

Mines a 14' not push to start so how do I reset it?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Mines a 14' not push to start so how do I reset it?

Not sure on the keyed trucks,as mines a 14 with the push button,but you should still be able to do the trinity clear code to get rid of the dash light.Mine hits limp mode on a weekly basis if i'm not careful,and my trinity turns off the dash light,even though it says no codes found.

OP
OP
wstacy3

wstacy3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is ******* STUPID! These trucks can't spin a donut without issues?!?!

OP
OP
wstacy3

wstacy3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah looks like it

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I pulled out off my road one morning and got my truck side ways and as soon as the fun started it stop. My truck applied the brake and took the throttle away and it just straightened out.
sometimes computers suck a big one.

Kid's HEMI! !!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I pulled out off my road one morning and got my truck side ways and as soon as the fun started it stop. My truck applied the brake and took the throttle away and it just straightened out.
I have to get side ways every time it rains never had any issue other than tires have to much grip

OP
OP
wstacy3

wstacy3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Yeah sounds like throttle control. I have mine turned off with my tune. These 8 speed trannys do not like rapid rpm changes

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I have to get side ways every time it rains never had any issue other than tires have to much grip

Really ? well that sucks for me I guess. I stopped even trying to squirrel around because once mine gets to a certain angle it stops spinning the tires and jerks back straight and its not smooth about it either..lol

Going straight it will spin the **** out of them untill the truck nolonger has enough power to do so.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think you got a good answer. It sounds like exactly your issue. You don't have the push button start so maybe contact tuner and see how to do it with a keyed ignition. As for donuts. It's a fail safe, what do you want? Take your tuned truck and abuse it then go to ram with a warranty issue on their dime? I think it's smart thinking on their part.

OP
OP
wstacy3

wstacy3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think you got a good answer. It sounds like exactly your issue. You don't have the push button start so maybe contact tuner and see how to do it with a keyed ignition. As for donuts. It's a fail safe, what do you want? Take your tuned truck and abuse it then go to ram with a warranty issue on their dime? I think it's smart thinking on their part.

Is that really what its come to? You cant do a donut or two without locking your tranny up? Now its completely stuck in P. If I turn the knob it say shift to P and then desired gear.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Never heard of that happening but I would detune and leave it that way until you fix it so that hopefully your warranty will cover it. Probably not axle related but curious do you have limited slip or open differential?

OP
OP
wstacy3

wstacy3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Never heard of that happening but I would detune and leave it that way until you fix it so that hopefully your warranty will cover it. Probably not axle related but curious do you have limited slip or open differential?

I restored the back up tune (stock) Im not sure but I think limited slip. Its a 2014 hemi 8speed cc express

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
These modern vehicles with the federally mandated traction control don't like to be abused. Seems everyone I know who tries to spin their vehicle around, even if they find a way to override TC, ends up in limp mode because the system freaks out...