Diesel Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xxxotiknightz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
When I started looking at new trucks I was wanting to get a 1/2 ton with a diesel. Unfortunately all of the big 3 canceled their plans to do so. Instead I was wondering is anyone had looked into what would be involved in swapping a cummins, preferably a 5.9, into one of our newer trucks???

lilfroger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
It is doable ... but it depends heavily on how deep your wallet is and how good your wrench skills are.

Most people use the old 12v or a 4 BT simply because there are NO electronics. With the new 5.9's you have to get stand alone ECM & TCM set ups. They are out there ... but again ... not cheap.

You have to build up the front suspension to hold the extra weight. If the donor vehicle wasn't a front end total you'd be better off taking the motor and the front suspension in one swoop.

Transmission will need to be changed also. I think some of the jeep guys who have put in 4 BT's have kept the 545's.

Check out DESTROKED: Cummins Conversions they have many of the conversion plates and other things needed.

Read around Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums also; they have LOOOTTS of good info.

Keep an eye on Buy or Sell your Diesel Engines on Diesel Engine Trader. for engines in your area.

Good luck!

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
there was a thread a long while back on some other site. guy put an older cummins into his 3rd gen 1500. it was a huge thread because he had so many problems. mainly with electronics. it ended up working after months and months of tinkering. but all in all, it was a huge headache, and huge money pit.

BlackRam_305

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
You gotta have some deep pockets. Real deep. I researched it and concluded I may as well sell my truck to buy a diesel. Which is gonna happen in the future.