Difference in tuners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shawnr8787

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wondering if someone can explain the difference in Diablo tuners to me, ie; Trinity, Intune, even predator2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
InTune - Basic tuner, no configurable display, won't be used as an engine monitor. The I2 generaton of this tuner is similar but seems to be a bit faster during the programming sequence.

Trinity - Same basic tunes as the InTune, configurable display, can be used as an engine monitor/gauge package when plugged into your OBD II port.

Predator 2 - Looks like another basic programmer but with a different program suite than the InTune or Trinity, possibly like the InTune I2 version, with more adjustable settings. What is different is not readily apparent from their literature. Their website does not list specifics.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm not sure they make the Predator anymore, but mine was very reliable, so a used one might be ok still. I sold mine and got a Trinity for my Jeep. I needed to be able to save multiple logs. One for each pass at the track. Both the Trinity and i2 can do that. The i2 has the distinction of being able to tune multiple vehicles, if you buy additional licenses. The Predator and Trinity only work with one vehicle at a time, but no licenses required. The Predator and Trinity use the DS Dataviewer and DS Downloader programs to update the tuner and get and view logs from them. The i2 creates a USB drive to drag and drop files. They claim it works with a Mac too, but didn't really work in my case. So I just used Windows. Even if you can drag the files to your computer, you still have to use Davtaviewer to view at your logs. All 3 will tune your vehicle with either the canned tunes, or a custom tune. The Trinity is their flagship product and has more features. If you don't mind spending a bit more, I highly recommend the Trinity over the other two. Just depends on what you want it for.

Downsides...

The Trinity for my Jeep is 7 years old and always works. Just don't try to change screens too fast. Mine has a tendency to crash if you do. And if it does, it forces a reload of the OEM tune. For mild mods, just an irritation. If you're highly modded like my Jeep, big problem. It won't even start anymore with the OEM tune. If you're away from your computer to reload the custom tune, you're stranded. Has happened to me once. But if you don't get in a hurry, it never crashes and works fine.

I bought the unlocked PCM / i2 combo for my Ram. Besides not being able to read the screen on a sunny day, and no way to mount it, it locked up on almost every operation I tried. At least it didn't force an OEM reload. I call tech support and they offered to send me a new one. I said Hell No! I said I'd send it back, pay the difference, and get another Trinity. They agreed. The new one seems to work like my old one, so I'm happy again. Now it may not be fair to not try another i2. Others seem to like them, I guess. But the Trinity was a known entity.

Hope that helps!

wink

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My i2 works great and I haven't had a problem with it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm probably the only person on the planet that likes the I2 over the Trinity. The Trinity has some "neato" gauges, some being not so accurate to real world data. The I2 however can tune multiple vehicles where the Trinity can not. That is a huge plus for me. I have my Ram & my wife's Grand Cherokee tuned w/ the same device. The I2 is $100 cheaper over the Trinity & only cost $150 to tune other vehicles instead of buying a 2nd programmer. A win win if you can do w/o the "gauges".

jljbtm

Reaction score
Good info. I currently use the predator to tune my Magnum but if I understand I can upgrade to the i2 then be able to tune my Ram. Is the i2 really an upgrade though?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK looked at both and I prefer the i2 also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk