EXH. manifold bolt size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JosephVK56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
just bought a brand new 17' ram 5.7 1500 4x4. i knew about the manifold bolt breaking off issues before the purchase but not much about it.. i want to replace all the bolts with new grade 8 hardware before i have any issues (maybe ARP stainless bolts) but what are the exact size i need? im just sticking with the OEM manifolds for a quite a while.

how is the access to these bolts to replace? fairly easy?

i did headers on a titan i used to own and those were a pain in the ass lol

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well, considering Stage 8 makes locking header bolts I'd probably just look at those first, assuming the length is correct for a cast manifold. From their site:

These locking header bolts fit the Dodge 5.7, 6.1, & 6.4L Hemi. They measure 8mm-1.25 x 25mm and come with 12 in a package. Stage 8 Locking Header Bolts easy to use but they are absolute insurance against horsepower loss or gasket failure created by loose nuts or bolts.

OP
OP
J

JosephVK56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
well for anyone curious i confirmed the size - is it M8x1.25 and 45mm long. i got a set of metric 10.9 grade - equivalent of grade 8 SAE. replaced them all in only 1.5hours. the clearance for the manifolds is AMAZING especially compared to my titan i used to have lol headers in titan took me almost 2 days and i could have done shorties in this ram in only like 3 hours at most.

i used the copper high temp anti-seize on all the bolts so at least when it comes time to do some headers i know they will all come out ice and 'easy'

guyc66

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well for anyone curious i confirmed the size - is it M8x1.25 and 45mm long. i got a set of metric 10.9 grade - equivalent of grade 8 SAE. replaced them all in only 1.5hours. the clearance for the manifolds is AMAZING especially compared to my titan i used to have lol headers in titan took me almost 2 days and i could have done shorties in this ram in only like 3 hours at most.

i used the copper high temp anti-seize on all the bolts so at least when it comes time to do some headers i know they will all come out ice and 'easy'

Did you purchase those manifold bolts online or local? Please share the vendor info if online....I'm trying to find a good source for these. Thanks!

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bolts for manifolds and headers would be different lengths.

I wonder if installing new manifolds can fix the problem.
Not everyone has this issue, it’s almost like if you get manifolds that are more likely to warp than others you get a leak.

Basically luck of the draw on the manifolds you get?

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
yeah, 8mm x 1.25 x 45mm long for OEM manifolds or 25mm long for headers.

McMaster Carr has a variety.

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you guys using lock washers or flat washers or both?

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When you changed them out, did you just change one at a time or pull everything and change the gaskets and install new the new bolts. I am tempted to replace the bolts but really do not want to get into changing the gasket if I don't have to. this is on a 17 with 20k miles.

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Change the gasket. You’re asking for problems if you don’t. It really doesn’t matter that it’s a newer truck with low miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro