Gas Brands

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been thinking about switching over from Citgo gas to something that's more of a "top-tier" brand of gas like Shell or Mobil as they supposedly have detergents that are better for your engine.

Just curious as to which brands you all run with your trucks and if you run one of those top tier brands, is it worth the extra cost per gallon?

Been running 89 octane for what it's worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
I always put shell I don't like putting anything but shell and if there's no shell i will do Mobil but I fine that cheaper gas waste a lot faster and the best liquids I put into my truck the better and longer it will last

A05GSHO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I run Shell 91 non ethanol when I have my Hemi Fever 91 tune loaded. In the winter I run 87 due to the lack of available Shell stations where I travel in the winter.

Sean from Hemi Fever said to run Shell its the better gas. I initially ran Kwik Trip 91, which they claim is top tier gas, and the log file I sent him he said it was ****** gas.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
To be top tier isn't very hard, but they are not considered equal. Pm Syn, he has a list of the highest additives per brand somewhere. Shell was number 1 I think, for some reason they didn't test Chevron. Personally, I go to Costco it is top tier, and I ad Redline S1.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run either shell or BP, usually 89 octane, 93 occasionally. I thought citgo was top tier now. Have never run citgo but that would have been my 3rd choice if the first 2 weren't available. Mobil not available around here and our local Exon station I think has water in their tanks, after about 2 tanks of their has my vehicles just don't run right till I put something else in. Even running top tier gas I'll give my vehicles a shot of Lucas fuel treatment every month or 6 weeks.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I always run shell or Sunoco. I like that these companies are top their and have no ties to the middle East.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Shell for me also---and what's even better, they have the best price in town. I use 89 oct also with a Hemifever tune.
Jay

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I usually run Shell or Blue Planet which is Holiday. I used to run Super America a lot as they had the best discount. I just signed up for Gas Buddy discount card so we will see where that takes me.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It also depends on your location. The only top tier they sell in Colorado are Conoco 91 and Shell 91. I've tried both in my Jeep and Ram, and there's absolutely no difference when I reviewed my track logs. Just stick with a name brand and avoid grocery store gas. It's definitely not top tier. Easy to tell. If there's no branding for a major oil company, it's grocery store gas. The Krogers, Sam's, Costco, etc. in Colorado are all grocery store gas. Oddly enough, the convenience stores usually sell name brand.

wink

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd like to start going with mobil but those stations are a little out of the way for me. There's several Shell stations around my common routes so I may let my tank go really low and start filling up with Shell. I'm sure Shell's gas prices and Mobil's are pretty evenly matched anyway.

Hopefully the Shell's around here have 89 I know some stations only have 87, 91, 93.

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thankfully I have 2 Shell stations within 5 miles of me so I'm always using Shell.

If I remember correctly, Mobil had the best 87 octane and Shell had the best 93 octane.

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use Shell as well. Several months back this topic came up right after I purchased my truck and many folks recommend Shell.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not to change the topic, but I had to pay $2.669 today

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I always run shell or Sunoco. I like that these companies are top their and have no ties to the middle East.
I thought shell had a GTL plant in qatar.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Been thinking about switching over from Citgo gas to something that's more of a "top-tier" brand of gas like Shell or Mobil as they supposedly have detergents that are better for your engine.

Just curious as to which brands you all run with your trucks and if you run one of those top tier brands, is it worth the extra cost per gallon?

Been running 89 octane for what it's worth.

After a lot of research I run Shell or Chevron because of their better additives.

misuracaf10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a video on YouTube a Detroit news station reported on gas quality.. I feel like I've seen it on there before. But the Top 3 stations were SHELL, EXXON, BP I believe for most detergents in the fuel

The GasBuddy app can help you find a top tier stations as you travel or ones near you

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990